Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 04:59 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have every right to give my opinion just like you. This is especially important to me since my taxes have gone to bailout a number of financial institutions that were "too big to fail". You do not have to agree with my opinion but you should not be questioning my right to say it.
The issue isn't really if anyone can express an opinion. The issue is "progressive" activists and their politicians try to compel two private parties of a contract to do, or not do something. That's really what I am confronting.

I find it very strange that some people here keep advocating the same Govt-heavy hand attitude, and then wonder why Uhaul has no available trucks for one-way rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think I know the answer already, but I will ask any way.

When you say giving, giving, giving is that to the wealthy or to the poor ?
I'll answer this -- both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
No way. What is faced in CT is what is faced by states all over the country and probably better long term than those. A tonnnn of states based a lot of 15 year projections over a boom and bust industry and now are in much more dire straights than we face. And bringing Mass into this? Boston is a glimmer of hope for the state but much of it faces worse local conditions than we do here. The reason why CT doesn't have "it" right now is purely PR. Unfortunately PR matters but here we are.
This is a joke, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Correct, but the author points specifically toward "pro-growth tax policies" and "income tax". I don't doubt that property tax compounds the problem (it does for me personally), but the authors whom are no doubt more expert than either of us seem to believe income and "pro growth policy" are primary culprits driving the phenomenon (at the population level).

CA situation is similar to FFC. You have a lower than average tax rate, but due to exorbitantly priced real estate the tax burden is the same, if not, higher (lower rate applied to higher value).

Ultimately, people go where the jobs are. Companies, ultimately go where the "pro-growth policies" are. When that is combined with low-no income tax, it's only more attractive to prospective labor market. Throw in low property taxes too and you have cities stealing businesses and talent from the likes of NYC and SF. A household with 200k income in nashville suburb likely has the same disposable income as a household making 400k in Darien or Westport.
Very true. Not long ago, people left the South and moved North. That's where good jobs were. Heck, even recently people are flocking to the state with the worse weather - North Dakota.

Some people twist, turn and pretzel the truth to avoid the elephant in the room -- economy, jobs. They pull very clever excuses, such as the weather, Santa Claus, etc to just avoid the truth -- young people, and middle class are walking away from CT, and finding better jobs in the states which practice Capitalism.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I wouldn't trust our State with this, but like Mass CT has its own universal healthcare. Free community college. Town/Cities have a Primary/Secondary school tax to fund their schools. A higher gas tax and tolls to pay for the roads and infrastructure. Increase fines on speeding tickets on State Roads to assist in funding to State Police. Eliminating Medicaid return the $600 Million in full ds denied to hospitals and increase job growth with hospitals. Stop implementing new taxes on hospitals expansions and physicians in the State. Legalize marijuana. Tax alcohol, marijuana, and cigarettes at 12% use tax money to assist in better funding DMHAS, build new Mental Health hospital in the state and update the current facilities. Eliminate sales tax on clothes and any type of food.

Cap city/towns property taxes at 52% in 8 year's and remove the car property cap on taxes.

Set a 4 year limit to those on welfare in the State and must work a minimum of 10 hour's a week.

Change Medicaid to a fund to provide Ekderky Assistance in the State.

Work towards a 10 year goal of sheltering all the homeless in the State.

Lower corporate taxes in the State to 6% and 3% for businesses with less than 100.

Income tax brackets: 1.5% below $10,000; 4% $10,000 to $50,000; 5.5% $50,000 to $100,00; 7% $100,00 to $500,000; 8.5% $500,000 and up.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I wouldn't trust our State with this, but like Mass CT has its own universal healthcare. Free community college. Town/Cities have a Primary/Secondary school tax to fund their schools. A higher gas tax and tolls to pay for the roads and infrastructure. Increase fines on speeding tickets on State Roads to assist in funding to State Police. Eliminating Medicaid return the $600 Million in full ds denied to hospitals and increase job growth with hospitals. Stop implementing new taxes on hospitals expansions and physicians in the State. Legalize marijuana. Tax alcohol, marijuana, and cigarettes at 12% use tax money to assist in better funding DMHAS, build new Mental Health hospital in the state and update the current facilities. Eliminate sales tax on clothes and any type of food.

Cap city/towns property taxes at 52% in 8 year's and remove the car property cap on taxes.

Set a 4 year limit to those on welfare in the State and must work a minimum of 10 hour's a week.

Change Medicaid to a fund to provide Ekderky Assistance in the State.

Work towards a 10 year goal of sheltering all the homeless in the State.

Lower corporate taxes in the State to 6% and 3% for businesses with less than 100.

Income tax brackets: 1.5% below $10,000; 4% $10,000 to $50,000; 5.5% $50,000 to $100,00; 7% $100,00 to $500,000; 8.5% $500,000 and up.

Not happening under Malloy watch.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
This article sort of covers the same things we find and discuss here every day. A lot of people are uneasy about the future of the state and the state government's finances but do love living here. Interesting to see that a survey was done confirming this. I just hope the Governor and Legislature gets the message. Jay

Optimism and pessimism about state's economy | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Not surprising that according to this article Connecticut residents pay the second highest property taxes in the country. What I thought was interesting is that the article attributes No. 1's (New York) high taxes to the high priced real estate in Manhattan. IF Manhattan skews the New York State taxes higher, wouldn't the same be true for Connecticut towns like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan or any of the number of other very affluent towns with very large and expensive homes in the state. It would be interesting to know what the house type is for the average property taxes paid in each state. I would guess some state have smaller homes while others have larger ones. Might place the survey they did into perspective. Jay

CT second highest for property taxes | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Not surprising that according to this article Connecticut residents pay the second highest property taxes in the country. What I thought was interesting is that the article attributes No. 1's (New York) high taxes to the high priced real estate in Manhattan. IF Manhattan skews the New York State taxes higher, wouldn't the same be true for Connecticut towns like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan or any of the number of other very affluent towns with very large and expensive homes in the state. It would be interesting to know what the house type is for the average property taxes paid in each state. I would guess some state have smaller homes while others have larger ones. Might place the survey they did into perspective. Jay

CT is among most expensive to live in

Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 AM

30% property tax is low in this State. I really hope the Governor repeals the car tax property cap. Does nothing for CT. Only places it affects is cities like Bridgeport and Waterbury. Sure lowers car taxes, but raises property taxes. Next year soneone in Waterbury owning a $100K house will pay close to $6500 in taxes. Double that with a $200K house that's $13,000 in taxes!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:

No, because rates are so low in those towns (in some cases, 1/3 the rate) in comparison that it averages out. Any way you slice it, the dollar amount we pay in property taxes is astronomical. I know several people that pay $1k per month for a nice but modest home. If you don't think that's insane, then I don't know what to say.

Even in upstate NY, property taxes are insane.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM

370 posts, read 608,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
30% property tax is low in this State. I really hope the Governor repeals the car tax property cap. Does nothing for CT. Only places it affects is cities like Bridgeport and Waterbury. Sure lowers car taxes, but raises property taxes.
How do you figure?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
How do you figure?
Most property taxes in the State are 35% or below. Car cap is only capping it at 32%. Only places where mill rates are high are big cities like New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, and so forth. Then there are some places near these large areas of CT that have a high mill rate, but don't go above 45%. All it does is jack up the property taxes to offset the car cap. So unless you rent doesn't effect you much. However, if you own it can greatly effect you. Think the projected mill rate I Waterbury next year is between 60% to 62%.

They should go back to county taxes. Allocate money from the county to cities/towns in the county based off population numbers for previous year. County tax money covers everything, but schools. Cities/towns can implement a school tax capped at 10% to cover funding of schools in their town/city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut