Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Did you not see where i kept referring to the place as a total dump?? Maybe not as bad a detroit or bridgeport or hartford. But hey, they dont have as many democrats in dallas.
Jersey City used to be a dump but now the 07302 zip code has real estate listing for $700K+ in every neighborhood, dozens of new high rise developments, and companies like Amazon moving offices into town.

NJ also has tons of Democrats so your narrative that Republicans = better living/work environment is false. A combination of quality of life factors and/or costs of living make or break cities & towns. Jersey City happens to be saddled alongside an major employment center while offering lower costs of living and a unique low sales tax free enterprise zone. That dump town you describe is in the sphere of a major TX metro area which has attracted tons of major companies. Putting up new warehouses in the not so nice zone is no problem since employees can still live in the nicer parts of Dallas-Ft Worth.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
It not over yet.

Connecticut state employee layoffs continue, more expected - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Old 07-16-2016, 10:22 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Jersey City used to be a dump but now the 07302 zip code has real estate listing for $700K+ in every neighborhood, dozens of new high rise developments, and companies like Amazon moving offices into town.

NJ also has tons of Democrats so your narrative that Republicans = better living/work environment is false. A combination of quality of life factors and/or costs of living make or break cities & towns. Jersey City happens to be saddled alongside an major employment center while offering lower costs of living and a unique low sales tax free enterprise zone. That dump town you describe is in the sphere of a major TX metro area which has attracted tons of major companies. Putting up new warehouses in the not so nice zone is no problem since employees can still live in the nicer parts of Dallas-Ft Worth.
Its not a narrative. Listen to Malloy and the democrats who use division on race and income to push a bogus economic agenda if you want narrative.

Its really simple, the best path to robust economic growth is low taxes, low regulation, low spending and less government regulations.

This is everything the Republicans are and everything the Democrats aren't. Now CT is feeling the effects of these democratic policies.

CT is going bankrupt from overspending, its not a narrative

Old 07-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Its not a narrative. Listen to Malloy and the democrats who use division on race and income to push a bogus economic agenda if you want narrative.

Its really simple, the best path to robust economic growth is low taxes, low regulation, low spending and less government regulations.

This is everything the Republicans are and everything the Democrats aren't. Now CT is feeling the effects of these democratic policies.

CT is going bankrupt from overspending, its not a narrative
US States cannot go bankrupt per US law. I feel like you've been told this a hundred times already but the broken record keeps going.

Low taxes didn't help Kansas and instead lead to a worse fiscal situation: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...s-trickle-down

Quote:
Republicans have long sung the praises of trickle-down economics: Just cut taxes, and the economy will flourish as companies and individuals use the windfall to boost investment and create jobs. But a grand experiment in implementing those policies at the state level has revealed a far less rosy reality—and the consequences are threatening to spark a civil war among Republicans.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, launched an "experiment" in conservative policy after he was elected in 2010, drastically slashing the state's income taxes under the assumption that the move would kick-start Kansas' economy and rev up job creation. With help from Arthur Laffer, Ronald Reagan's mastermind of trickle-down economics, Brownback convinced lawmakers in the state to cut personal income tax rates across the board and eliminate the top tax bracket, with further reductions to come. Kansas also completely erased the income tax bills for the owners of certain "small" businesses, totaling 330,000 by this year and including a host of subsidiaries of Wichita-based Koch Industries. The Koch-funded organization Americans for Prosperity helped Brownback push the bill and has remained a staunch defender of the changes. The tax cuts were sold by Brownback with the idea that they would pay for themselves when a renewed economy boosted state revenues despite the lower rates.

Four years after those tax cuts first went into effect, the opposite has occurred. The promised explosion of private-sector growth hasn't come to pass, as the state's economy has generally lagged the rest of the nation. In March, the Kansas Department of Labor reported, the state had only 800 more private-sector jobs than a year prior. The loss of tax revenue has decimated the state budget, creating a fiscal crisis necessitating drastic cuts, since the state, unlike the federal government, can't run a deficit. As the Kansas City Star's editorial board recently highlighted, so far this fiscal year, Kansas is $420 million short of the revenue it had the year Brownback's tax cuts first went into effect.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:09 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
US States cannot go bankrupt per US law. I feel like you've been told this a hundred times already but the broken record keeps going.
You are not wrong about the law, but I wonder who will win -- law or math? Besides, if you can't pay your obligations, why does it matter if you can or cannot file for bankruptcy. You just can't pay, no?

Quote:
Low taxes didn't help Kansas and instead lead to a worse fiscal situation: Trickle-Down Economics Has Ruined the Kansas Economy | Mother Jones
It's ironic you accuse Hartford_Renter for broken record, yet you spin a broken record yourself - Kansas. Which of course, you are very wrong. And we have covered this as long as we're allowed without going too far off-topic.

Secondly, repeating radical-left Marxist propaganda spewed out by rags like Mother Jones, should be a dead-give away for you to know -- Hey look, I better apply critical thinking to this.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 PM

I can't believe we are at the point of invalidating an argument simply because of the source...

Is Bloomgberg a liberal rag? https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-which-worked

Fox News a liberal rag? Looks like even state Republicans were critical of the tax cuts. http://fox4kc.com/2015/06/16/gov-bro...ng-more-taxes/

I guess we can stick out head in the sand and go with the WSJ point of view where unemployment is down so tax cuts must be good! Deficit be damned it's just greedy unions & teachers! http://www.wsj.com/articles/seeded-w...its-1431729743

As for bankruptcy states will cut expenses. That's simply what they must do to avoid running a deficit.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
So please explain why is so wrong about the Kansas?
Not my job to repeat everything, so you wouldn't have to look in this thread for two seconds.

Quote:
I'm guessing it has something to do with democrats ruining everything.
No. It has to do with logic.

Quote:
As for bankruptcy states will cut expenses. That's simply what they must do to avoid running a deficit.
That's overly simplified, and conceals the true solutions. Which we have been discussing for the past 521 pages of this thread.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:51 PM

So instead of explaining your point you tell me to research?

You need a refresh on how debate works.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
So instead of explaining your point you tell me to research?
If you can't read or research, how can you debate?

Quote:
You need a refresh on how debate works.
You attacked Hartford_renter for a broken record, yet you're asking me to be a broken record? You can't read, you can't research, AND you can't think coherently, so I am out.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:01 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
I can't believe we are at the point of invalidating an argument simply because of the source...

Is Bloomgberg a liberal rag? https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-which-worked

Fox News a liberal rag? Looks like even state Republicans were critical of the tax cuts. Gov. Brownback blames districts for budget shortfalls, says Kansans are not paying more taxes | fox4kc.com

I guess we can stick out head in the sand and go with the WSJ point of view where unemployment is down so tax cuts must be good! Deficit be damned it's just greedy unions & teachers! Seeded With Tax Cuts, Kansas Harvests the Benefits - WSJ

Look lets be honest thats all I ask.

If the USA has a debt and can't pay interest on the debt they will default. You can pass a law that says you can't default, but what does that do in the end? Absolutely nothing

Are you going to arrest everyone and confiscate their property? Or are you going to print money and create hyperinflation? We are on track for bankruptcy as a country that is a FACT. We have entitlement programs that have unfunded liabilities in excess of 100 Trillion dollars.

My guess is the first state to default will be Illinois but CT isn't far behind

All I ask is that our politicians and voters be honest about our problems so we can avoid catastrophe. Apparently you can't be honest and resort to tropes like Kansas.

You are dead wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut