Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 11:10 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
There have been a number of articles in the Hartford Courant about residents who describe why they left or stayed.

Many are claim that high taxes have drove them away. Then you get liberals making excuses and denying the causes of our states economic problems.

I thought this letter was pretty funny since it claims people are leaving because of Republicans

Residents Leaving Because Of Republicans - Courant.com

At least some people are admitting that taxes are a problem, they just insist on blaming the other party.
I thought the letter that started the whole thing was the funniest-- A gentleman with two homes here in Connecticut felt like he had been priced out of the state.

Most are struggling to afford one home...

Old 09-06-2014, 11:31 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I thought the letter that started the whole thing was the funniest-- A gentleman with two homes here in Connecticut felt like he had been priced out of the state.

Most are struggling to afford one home...
The South (or even NYC) will be thrilled to take these filthy capitalists off your hands. And you / we keep the poor. And we wonder why "most are most struggling to afford one home!"

Guess who pays most taxes? Subsequent guess -- who is left holding the "bag" (i.e. burden to pay for services)?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:14 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The South (or even NYC) will be thrilled to take these filthy capitalists off your hands. And you / we keep the poor. And we wonder why "most are most struggling to afford one home!"

Guess who pays most taxes? Subsequent guess -- who is left holding the "bag" (i.e. burden to pay for services)?
Sighhhh... Hyperbole much? I don't think anyone here actually wants to have all the so-called "capitalists" shuffled out of Connecticut. Or anywhere really. But we DO expect them to play by the rules and pay for the upkeep of the system they benefited the most from. It's like "Enemy of the People," which is more appealing: a tannery that supports the town or safe drinking water. They loudest complainers seem to be the ones that benefited greatly but don't want anyone telling them what to do, especially when it comes to unnoticed peripheral damage to other people.

Again, should we follow "The South's" take on economic strategy? I'd say not, for a variety of reasons. First, it's not like the strategy has been a bang up success. Yes they may have gained a few jobs here and there, but why is per-unit costs more expensive down there than here? As well what happens when the crate of free money to move.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I don't think anyone here actually wants to have all the so-called "capitalists" shuffled out of Connecticut.
What are we, sub-human vegetation without the ability the think about our actions?

Yet, we vote politicians who promise, even guarantee to us more tax burden, more regulatory burden, less and less appeal for business to employ people here, and then we say "Jee, we don't want CT to be the most unfriendly state to businesses, and we want them to stay, not leave and lay-off people!!"

We also come here and whine about our pathetic infrastructure, high tax burden, high COL, etc. Yet, we don't want this?

And then, we look around who to blame, never taking that small step of walking to the bathroom mirror and looking at ourselves as the problem. We elected these politicians, didn't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Again, should we follow "The South's" take on economic strategy? I'd say not, for a variety of reasons. First, it's not like the strategy has been a bang up success. Yes they may have gained a few jobs here and there, but why is per-unit costs more expensive down there than here? As well what happens when the crate of free money to move.
We don't need to follow nobody. We should go back to basics how previous generations built this great state. It's no secret what will resuscitate the state, but it's just an impossibility for many to accept that businesses, Capitalism is the goose that lays the golden egg.

We mal-treat the goose, and still expect the golden eggs. And you say "we want the Goose to make the eggs our way, not the Goose's way."

Goose's response "**** you, I am moving." And we blame the goose.

That's pretty much what's happening here.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Connecticut needs to be more conservative on fiscal policy. Here in Virginia our economy is pretty decent, NOVA/DC has one of the highest educated populations on the east coast, our taxes are livable and our cost of living is modest.

It's a perfect balance, Connecticut needs to find it's perfect balance.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Connecticut needs to be more conservative on fiscal policy. Here in Virginia our economy is pretty decent, NOVA/DC has one of the highest educated populations on the east coast, our taxes are livable and our cost of living is modest.

Virginia, especially Northen Virginia's economy has been expanding as the Federal Govt has been expanding -- by accumulating money from taxpayers from the other 49 states, which actually make things. Unless we move the Federal Govt to Hartford, Northern Virginia's model is not duplicatable here.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 PM

We here in Virginia could only hope that the federal government moves a few states away

Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 PM

All states have problems and call me crazy but I still wish I could return to the northeast one day. Only problem I see with Connecticut is the tax burdens, other then that the region you guys and girls call home is very beautiful.

The New England country side is outstanding

Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
What are we, sub-human vegetation without the ability the think about our actions?

Yet, we vote politicians who promise, even guarantee to us more tax burden, more regulatory burden, less and less appeal for business to employ people here, and then we say "Jee, we don't want CT to be the most unfriendly state to businesses, and we want them to stay, not leave and lay-off people!!"

We also come here and whine about our pathetic infrastructure, high tax burden, high COL, etc. Yet, we don't want this?

And then, we look around who to blame, never taking that small step of walking to the bathroom mirror and looking at ourselves as the problem. We elected these politicians, didn't we?
Again, tax burdens vary. But for general apples-to-apples comparisons the so called "cheaper areas" really aren't. The middle class and upper classes here shoulder more of the burden, instead of trying to extract more from the hardest hit. Look at MO, where many municipalities are funded in huge part on fees because bench warrants are issued for minor infractions. I personally find it abhorrent taxing fresh groceries, which we don't do here. We don't actively attempt to keep people poor, and we have a better economy for it.

Economic Mobility of the States

Look at it. Seriously. We should be proud that we are one of the few places in the whole world where we have people that can make it. It comes at a cost though.

Quote:
We don't need to follow nobody. We should go back to basics how previous generations built this great state. It's no secret what will resuscitate the state, but it's just an impossibility for many to accept that businesses, Capitalism is the goose that lays the golden egg.

We mal-treat the goose, and still expect the golden eggs. And you say "we want the Goose to make the eggs our way, not the Goose's way."

Goose's response "**** you, I am moving." And we blame the goose.

That's pretty much what's happening here.
Ugh, the goose that lays the golden egg is society in general. Think UTC would fare well in say Honduras where many are illiterate? No. But, oh god capitalism will succeed because it's cheaper down there, therefore a war torn people that have minimal education will be able to operate multi-million dollar apparatuses that require understanding tolerances within fraction of millimeters, right? It's a fallacy that short circuits the conversation. Buh buh the Goose?! It's a good allegory, but not one that is factual in any sort of way when it comes to matters of economics.

And guess what? They've been saying the same. gd. thing about CT for decades. In fact their toes are dancing at what seems to a slight, however slight, validation of this. It's telling. The fact that a clock is right twice is not useful.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post

Like Connecticut, it depends where in the state you are talking about. Outside of Washington, home prices are insane just like Fairfield county. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut