Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Ill assume your comment drips with sarcasm.... Dalio is the wealthiest resident of Connecticut ... worth a reputed $15 Billion ...a 200k car is pocket change ... and drop the mini from his Greenwich mansion home.
He is in his latter 60's ...so I wouldn't be surprised if he would be one of the next of the group of 10 to leave CT for greener pastures.
I think he meant Ray might be along the lines of the Buffett billionaire (aka not showy), not that he couldn't afford that lifestyle.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Pratt and Whitney is looking to hire 8,000 jobs right here in Connecticut! That's an insane number if you ask me. We all know Pratt gets a lot of support from politicians in Hartford by giving them $220 million a few years ago. While many workers at Pratt are retiring, the good news is that these jobs won't get offshored. Nearly 10,000 workers will be hired from General Dynamics in Groton as well as Pratt in East Hartford. While there has been good and bad news when it comes to job growth, this is certainly something to smile about if you're an engineer.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

Old 09-16-2016, 12:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Pratt and Whitney is looking to hire 8,000 jobs right here in Connecticut! That's an insane number if you ask me. We all know Pratt gets a lot of support from politicians in Hartford by giving them $220 million a few years ago. While many workers at Pratt are retiring, the good news is that these jobs won't get offshored. Nearly 10,000 workers will be hired from General Dynamics in Groton as well as Pratt in East Hartford. While there has been good and bad news when it comes to job growth, this is certainly something to smile about if you're an engineer.

Wow that's huge... Hopefully they can lure some of those people laid off from Boeing this year to the state (or other locations). Strange that one company can lay off so many while another hires so many - in a similar industry.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:43 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post

Fantastic news!

Old 09-16-2016, 01:25 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Wow that's huge... Hopefully they can lure some of those people laid off from Boeing this year to the state (or other locations). Strange that one company can lay off so many while another hires so many - in a similar industry.
I agree. You have to understand that Pratt & Whitney's newest engine is the most technologically advanced and energy efficient engine on the market. It has been wildly successful and created a massive backlog of orders for the company.

Pratt is currently building a massive $400 million engineering facility in East Hartford, plus invested heavily in their Middletown plant. The tax incentives the state gave allows for this investment and helped assure that the expansion will be done here and not in another state. I would suspect that a couple of the people we had asking questions here are a result of this massive hiring spree.

I also know that there are other support companies to Pratt in this that are expanding as well. I had mentioned a while back of a firm that was in the process of quietly adding 100 engineers to their staff here. They work for Pratt but also for other companies around the world and will be servicing them from here. Hopefully this kind of thing will keep going. Jay

Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. You have to understand that Pratt & Whitney's newest engine is the most technologically advanced and energy efficient engine on the market. It has been wildly successful and created a massive backlog of orders for the company.

Pratt is currently building a massive $400 million engineering facility in East Hartford, plus invested heavily in their Middletown plant. The tax incentives the state gave allows for this investment and helped assure that the expansion will be done here and not in another state. I would suspect that a couple of the people we had asking questions here are a result of this massive hiring spree.

I also know that there are other support companies to Pratt in this that are expanding as well. I had mentioned a while back of a firm that was in the process of quietly adding 100 engineers to their staff here. They work for Pratt but also for other companies around the world and will be servicing them from here. Hopefully this kind of thing will keep going. Jay
The amount of engineers that are being hired by businesses in this state is crazy. I can think of at least 5-6 big companies that have been hiring tons of engineers and General Dynamics is one of them. UCONN has a well known engineering program so hopefully these graduates will stay in state, which would be good for the state since young people are fleeing CT by the droves.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
I know of several small companies hiring to support Electric boat as well. All across the state not just in SE CT. I know it made a couple grow their # of employees by 20-30%.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think they can lure some people from their own company that were laid off first.

Let us not forget that Carrier is going to close a plant in Indianapolis and lay off 1,400 workers as a result. They are moving production to Mexico.

Carrier Layoffs Teach Workers Costs of Global Trade - Breitbart

United Technologies is the parent company of Carrier and Pratt & Whitney. While I'm sure there are differences between air conditioners and jet engines, I would think some knowledge and machining skills are transferable between the two.

Surely they would be better qualified than me who has zero machining experience.

I also find it very suspicious that they keep talking about how many people they need to hire, (in the manufacturing sector) yet I don't know of any training programs they have or any relationships they have with area schools to train new people.

Maybe I'm wrong though and someone can tell me where these training programs are.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think they can lure some people from their own company that were laid off first.

Let us not forget that Carrier is going to close a plant in Indianapolis and lay off 1,400 workers as a result. They are moving production to Mexico.

Carrier Layoffs Teach Workers Costs of Global Trade - Breitbart

United Technologies is the parent company of Carrier and Pratt & Whitney. While I'm sure there are differences between air conditioners and jet engines, I would think some knowledge and machining skills are transferable between the two.

Surely they would be better qualified than me who has zero machining experience.

I also find it very suspicious that they keep talking about how many people they need to hire, (in the manufacturing sector) yet I don't know of any training programs they have or any relationships they have with area schools to train new people.

Maybe I'm wrong though and someone can tell me where these training programs are.
I know that Pratt does have connections to various colleges and training schools but I am not sure which ones. I will ask some of my Pratt friends and get back to you on it. Jay

Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
EB and UT are both working with the state Tech schools to train people. I know EB is basically funding it's own welding classes in Norwich as they have a shortage right now.
Advanced Manufacturing Courses Push for 300 Jobs in 300 Days | WNPR News
Recreating a Workforce: Electric Boat Looks to the Future | WNPR News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut