Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
No

One of the main things the creative class does is create Intellectual Property. Look at the map again. One of the elements you will see is patent density. One of my siblings is still getting money from intellectual property that was created years ago. There are many people like my sibling in Fairfield County that are making a living from things they created now and years ago. Create once....but get paid years in
the future.

http://www.creativeclass.com/_v3/cre...10_Density.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property
Professor Richard Florida, the author of "Creative Class" uses that term in a much wider term. He includes engineers, scientists, educators / professors (of course), media, design, art, lawyers, healthcare workers, even accountants.

You seem to think that only "Bohemians" are Creative Class, while they are a very small subset.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:01 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

You seem to think that only "Bohemians" are Creative Class, while they are a very small subset.
Show me where in one of my posts where I identified what workers make up the creative class. I did say this........

"One of the main things the creative class does is create Intellectual Property."

That can include scientists creating medical patents and medicines. All kinds of engineers (chemical, engineering etc.), architects and so on. An yes it also includes the creative artists, musicians, writers composers etc.

There is something wrong with you to attack me like this when I am merely pointing out the VERY good points of the Fairfield/New Haven County economies. I was merely agreeing with JayCT in post ##5697 and wanted to expand on his post which was a positive assessment of our state.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel I need to put this on here. I feel there are two distinct sections of our state. Fairfield County & parts of New Haven County (for the most part) that are closer to NYC and doing well economically and the rest of the state which seems like it is suffering. I can sense it in the posts. It is almost a have and have not push and pull on here. As a resident of Fairfield County I do not feel the economic suffering as others in the state but I do recognize the difference.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-22-2016 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Making tangible stuff is a critical part of a healthy economy, so I am delighted Malloy is retaining Sikorsky for many years to come.

Creating intellectual property will not be a massive employment source. There is nothing wrong with that, nor of the fact it isn't enough, so all states must produce their share of tangible stuff, as those employers tend to be labor intensive, which means large headcounts.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM

610 posts, read 533,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Public Companies See Gold in California - NYTimes.com

Most taxed, most regulated state in the country. We're playing the wrong game.
LOL, the NYT says taxes and regulation are good, let's go for it. Everything it says is so true. Come up with an unbiased, reputable source. In any event, the lists I've seen don't show California as the state with the highest taxes--usually it's the golden triangle of NY, NJ and CT up at the top. And CT doesn't have the all the undeniable advantages that California does have.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Creating intellectual property will not be a massive employment source.
Look at this map, it's right there. There are only 6 places in the entire country that has all five elements and Fairfield County is one of them.

And as long as people flock to NYC to "make it" in all kinds of endeavors Fairfield County will be home to many of them. This is a personal observation/antidote but it is very telling. When I went to the Pratt Institute there were people from all over the world and I was surprised because this was in the 1990's. All of them said to me "this is the best city to be creative and make our fortunes. We want to come to the best place in the world."

I know the overall CT economy is not the greatest but I will always be bullish on CT because of the NYC influence and Fairfield Counties close proximity to it.

Look at this, CT has the 2nd highest per capita of millionaires in the country. That is not from regular working folks going to 9-5 jobs. The millionaires per capita is correlated to the map I posted.

These states have the highest density of millionaires

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Show me where in one of my posts where I identified what workers make up the creative class. I did say this........

"One of the main things the creative class does is create Intellectual Property."

That can include scientists creating medical patents and medicines. All kinds of engineers (chemical, engineering etc.), architects and so on. An yes it also includes the creative artists, musicians, writers composers etc.

There is something wrong with you to attack me like this when I am merely pointing out the VERY good points of the Fairfield/New Haven County economies. I was merely agreeing with JayCT in post ##5697 and wanted to expand on his post which was a positive assessment of our state.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel I need to put this on here. I feel there are two distinct sections of our state. Fairfield County & parts of New Haven County (for the most part) that are closer to NYC and doing well economically and the rest of the state which seems like it is suffering. I can sense it in the posts. It is almost a have and have not push and pull on here. As a resident of Fairfield County I do not feel the economic suffering as others in the state but I do recognize the difference.
Not sure why you think I am attacking -- I am simply pointing out that "Creative Class" concept does not represent well what you're trying to convey.

You paint FFC as some sort of significant innovative, scientific region. It's not. FFC main strength is financial services. If anything, GE's departure, and before it, IBM's shrinkage -- probably has contributed a lot in diminishing FFC's "Creative Class." Besides Yale, I just don't see any field where FFC / NH is a well-known in Intellectual Property. Nothing big on IT, nothing big on Pharma, nothing big on arts, nothing big on media.

If anything, I actually see more "Creative Class" in Hartford or New London counties.

You keep linking to a map which describes a "Creative Class" with a different definition than you think.

Last edited by Henry10; 09-22-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Look at this map, it's right there. There are only 6 places in the entire country that has all five elements and Fairfield County is one of them.

And as long as people flock to NYC to "make it" in all kinds of endeavors Fairfield County will be home to many of them. This is a personal observation/antidote but it is very telling. When I went to the Pratt Institute there were people from all over the world and I was surprised because this was in the 1990's. All of them said to me "this is the best city to be creative and make our fortunes. We want to come to the best place in the world."

I know the overall CT economy is not the greatest but I will always be bullish on CT because of the NYC influence and Fairfield Counties close proximity to it.

Look at this, CT has the 2nd highest per capita of millionaires in the country. That is not from regular working folks going to 9-5 jobs. The millionaires per capita is correlated to the map I posted.

These states have the highest density of millionaires

To be strong, Ct must retain the working class you hold in such disdain. Not just the 1% of the intellectual class. Until it does that, it will not be strong.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
LOL, the NYT says taxes and regulation are good, let's go for it. Everything it says is so true. Come up with an unbiased, reputable source. In any event, the lists I've seen don't show California as the state with the highest taxes--usually it's the golden triangle of NY, NJ and CT up at the top. And CT doesn't have the all the undeniable advantages that California does have.
Did you actually read the article, or do you just write off the NYT off the bat? Nothing about it said taxes and regulation are "good".. actually it specifically said, "There is no special formula for states to be homes to companies." It is basically just summarizing widely found stats from the NYSE, Fortune 500, etc. on which states have been hosting the most new companies. You know it listed Texas as one of the most successful states at attracting business, along with NYC, CA, and MA, right?

And CA is often at the top of income tax and business tax rankings (for highest). It does vary some but here's one from TurboTax: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF23232.html

Old 09-23-2016, 07:55 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
"Repeat a lie many times over, and it eventually becomes the truth." We've busted the "Kansas" myth on this thread. So find another example to compare CT to.
I am not sure what "myth" you are talking about. Despite massive cuts in taxes, Kansas' economy has FAILED to grow. Last year it grew by 0.2% which is pretty bad. This is fact. Jay

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-recession/

Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Blame for what???? States created this environment for business to react this way. Hell if I owned a business I would take advantage of this as well. Malloy is a classic case of where the government gets to pick the winners and the losers. GE being that loser, and UTC being the winner.
People are blaming politicians for this going on but companies with very deep pockets and billions in the bank, play and exploit this game too. There is plenty of blame on both sides of this issue. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut