Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's is considering building a massive distribution center in Bloomfield that will add 675 new jobs. Of course they are looking for massive concessions on taxes but also looking for water, sewer and permit concessions as well. Seems a bit steep and greedy to me. Will see if the Bloomfield Town Council agrees. Jay

Trader Joe's Considering Bloomfield For $78.5 Million Distribution Facility, Looks For Tax Break - Courant Community

Old 12-01-2016, 10:59 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
What are you on cloud nine or something? Guess you haven't seen the budget numbers yet????? Talk of new taxes! Also Dems have been running the show for awhile, and I really can't see how you can blame the GOP here. Before you accuse me of being part of the GOP, I'm not. I'm independent. Amazes how people defend their political partys to no end despite their screw ups.
I don't think you read my post or perhaps didn't understand it. CT has had Republican Governors for 20 consecutive years 1990-2010. Governor's have VETO POWER just like the President has. If the Republican Governors during this time didn't like what the legislature pushed thru all they needed to do was VETO. If the Democrat's held the Governorship during this time the blame would more squarely be on them IMO.

Now I suppose during some of those terms the Democrat's had 2-3rds majority in the house and senate, which means they could over ride a veto. I doubt that happened often if at all.

The Republicans are to be equally blamed. Also, they haven't even put up a good challenger for Governor in recent years. If they want control they need some better candidates.

IMO both parties are dismal and corrupt and haven't done or even proposed any thing innovative in recent memory.

Malloy's 30 year transportation budget/proposal is probably the only thing in recent memory that could be considered innovative, but over time I doubt even half of it will come to fruition, so it really doesn't matter.

IMO Malloy actually has more Republican tenancies than Democratic ones. He reminds me a lot of Bill Clinton minus the gallivanting.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:19 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Dannel had the opportunity to change the state employee compensation and benefit structure back in 2011, but he caved at the 11th hour. Considering that increasing state employee comp and benefits are the main driver of the budget problems, today's budget issues lies squarely with him. Sure he can rightly spread some blame to Rell and Rowland, but no one forced him to run for governor. His inability to take responsibility for the budget mess is a big reason why his approval numbers are dismal, IMO.
I believe Malloy actually did change the compensation and benefits in 2011. Unless maybe this article is incorrect.

Dan Haar: How Malloy And Lawmakers Stayed United On Taxes And Layoffs - Hartford Courant

"Finally, we had recent history at work. In exchange for a 4-year, no-layoff guarantee, state employees gave up two years of pay raises and some benefits in 2011, including creation of a new tier of workers whose pensions will cost the state about the same as a good corporate 401(k) retirement plan"

and you can also view

Connecticut State Employees Retirement System Tier III Summary Plan - Your Plan Membership

Also, newly hired state employees do not get the sweet benefits that previous employees received. I think the vesting period now is 10 years, but in the past it may have been as low as 5 years. Although,to be fair in the 90's and earlier 5 year vesting periods were the norm in corporate America too (for those who offered non contributory defined pension plans). I actually worked at 2 companies that had these types of pension plans (in addition to 401k) during the 90's.

This is the state employee tiers. I wish this could be stickied at the top of the forum. The misinformation on this subject is getting very tiring.

Retiree Resources

Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I believe Malloy actually did change the compensation and benefits in 2011. Unless maybe this article is incorrect.

Dan Haar: How Malloy And Lawmakers Stayed United On Taxes And Layoffs - Hartford Courant

"Finally, we had recent history at work. In exchange for a 4-year, no-layoff guarantee, state employees gave up two years of pay raises and some benefits in 2011, including creation of a new tier of workers whose pensions will cost the state about the same as a good corporate 401(k) retirement plan"

and you can also view

Connecticut State Employees Retirement System Tier III Summary Plan - Your Plan Membership

Also, newly hired state employees do not get the sweet benefits that previous employees received. I think the vesting period now is 10 years, but in the past it may have been as low as 5 years. Although,to be fair in the 90's and earlier 5 year vesting periods were the norm in corporate America too (for those who offered non contributory defined pension plans). I actually worked at 2 companies that had these types of pension plans (in addition to 401k) during the 90's.

This is the state employee tiers. I wish this could be stickied at the top of the forum. The misinformation on this subject is getting very tiring.

Retiree Resources
All band aids on a cancer patient. Look where we are now. The budget is in worse shape than when he took office. The unions handed him a golden opportunity when they rejected the CBA - he could lay off state workers and blame it on the unions! He could go back to the bargaining table with a stronger hand and show that he had a spine. Instead he caved and gave them a second chance, allowing the unions to call his bluff and ensuring that no real reform would happen during his administration.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Please stop[ the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-01-2016, 03:05 PM

This is not good. FuelCell in Danbury is laying off 96 people. Jay

FuelCell cutting 17% of workforce | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-01-2016, 05:41 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Not good at all.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's is considering building a massive distribution center in Bloomfield that will add 675 new jobs. Of course they are looking for massive concessions on taxes but also looking for water, sewer and permit concessions as well. Seems a bit steep and greedy to me. Will see if the Bloomfield Town Council agrees. Jay

Trader Joe's Considering Bloomfield For $78.5 Million Distribution Facility, Looks For Tax Break - Courant Community
This is great news. Do you think it'll prompt them to finally open another Trader Joe's in the Hartford metro east of the river? It is NUTS how perennially crowded their Corbin's Corner location is

Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:

Add in the 120 people let go from BI yesterday to this list. That's over 200 in a day from a rather small geographical footprint. Boehringer Ingelheim lays off 120 in Ridgefield - NewsTimes

We were planning purchasing a new house but are holding off. I'm working out of state and will be from what it looks like for the next foreseeable future.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
CT should lower sales tax to 5% and do away with income tax...yep yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut