Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree that restaurants always have a wait. Down here, even on Wednesdays and Thursdays, there are waits for a table at many places. It's actually quite frustrating!

Re: people leaving, I recently read an article that incomes for similar positions is now closer than ever between states, showing that in lower cost states, you're actually better off. I know the days of police officers and other government employees making less in southern states are over. Many have caught up to Connecticut, and some are even higher.
That is correct. In some industries, it has even inverted. Supply and demand. Academic over inflation has suppressed wages, meanwhile the southern companies starting to pop up are willing to pay top dollar to retain local talent or recruit nationally.

Some use CTs "educational attainment" as a sense of pride and for whatever reason justification of living here...what I see is a meaningless statement because it has translated into zero productive initiatives, economic policies or otherwise. If anything, all "CT has one of highest concentration of college degrees in USA" means is that we are one of the top contributors to the student debt crisis. We certainly don't have the economic output to employ them...

The economic center of gravity is shifting to the south. End of story to the "yay-Sayers". Virginia is a fine place for someone like yourself and will continue to thrive well into our children's generation.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If true, can higher taxes be far behind? Jay
Negative. Healthy and steadily growing economies do not equate to more taxes Jay, in fact it provides them the money they need to improve state without raising taxes. It's inconsistent, counterproductive and/or meaningless economic and state policy that leads to rising taxes.

In fact, amid rapid growth of Nashville economy, TN has ELIMINATED some taxes (death tax and interest earnings) all the while providing MORE services and increasing QOL. WTF? Is it another planet? The anti universe? Literally the opposite of what happens in CT. They even scribed into LAW that the state income tax can NEVER be implemented. To protect the future against economy sucking liberals. Now THAT was smart. As they become more desirable, they observe what has happened elsewhere, and proactively avoid the North Carolina effect where every NY and NJ transplant can't come and obliterate the antic of what made them desirable in the first place. Smart. How clairvoyant for a place so uneducated...

The real death of the south (other than their glutinous consumption of fried foods) would be an insurrection of the neo-left . Taxes will only spiral out of control if/when people from Cali and the northeast take over government and declare TN spend all their money on the trailer trash meth heads in Appalachia, or the heroin dealers and criminal scum in Memphis, or become a sanctuary state for tens of thousands of refugees who despise them and serve as cultural ichonoclasts to all that they stand for...that will be what raises their taxes. Caring more about the disenfranchised underclass of scam artists and underachievers than they do the productive working class that made them successful in the first place...

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-10-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
That is correct. In some industries, it has even inverted. Supply and demand. Academic over inflation has suppressed wages, meanwhile the southern companies starting to pop up are willing to pay top dollar to retain local talent or recruit nationally.
True.

It's actually a bad employer's market in many Southeastern states, where unemployment is too low, and raiding other corps talent is the only way to fill spots.

I remember decades back when Ct's employment market bore similar traits. I would love to see that again, but I never expect to. We'd have to do a 180 and have a terrific culture to cultivate business.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:31 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Amazon is expanding/growing like crazy, this will probably happen 3-4 more times in CT as Amazon puts distribution/fulfillment centers in every state to eventually be able to have same day shipping in the future. So I just kind of laugh to myself as this is portrayed as a 'win' (yes jobs are good, but I don't think anyone lost) whereas I see it as Amazon inevitably being everywhere.
I am glad for the jobs, but yes, their M.O. is D.C.s everywhere with large population, to get to same day, within a few hours delivery. that lets them enter the grocery market. They saw what that did for Wal Mart.

that is why they entered into many voluntary sales tax collection agreements ahead of having D.C.s . So they could add one w/o corp having to prepare by already having sales tax licenses and such.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"Connecticut has a spending problem, not a revenue problem, said Boughton, who blamed the income tax for the exodus of residents and businesses to other states. Since it came onto the books, he said, the state has lost $13.7 billion in net adjusted gross income."

"Boughton would offset lost income-tax revenue with a downsizing of state government and regionalization of some municipal services."

Boughton pushes for state income tax repeal - Connecticut Post
This might be poor reporting or a poor choice of words but businesses don't pay an employees income taxes. Businesses pay corporate/business income taxes. There is an administrative cost to collecting the income tax and forwarding it to the state, but that cost is minimal.

A more accurate statement would be income taxes have caused an exodus of residents, and corp/business taxes have caused an exodus of businesses. The two are separate. I don't think the press or politicians will ever figure this out though.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am glad for the jobs, but yes, their M.O. is D.C.s everywhere with large population, to get to same day, within a few hours delivery. that lets them enter the grocery market. They saw what that did for Wal Mart.

that is why they entered into many voluntary sales tax collection agreements ahead of having D.C.s . So they could add one w/o corp having to prepare by already having sales tax licenses and such.

Amazon fresh is already available in Farifield and New Haven counties. I have never used it, but I'm in Hartford county.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Negative. Healthy and steadily growing economies do not equate to more taxes Jay, in fact it provides them the money they need to improve state without raising taxes. It's inconsistent, counterproductive and/or meaningless economic and state policy that leads to rising taxes.

In fact, amid rapid growth of Nashville economy, TN has ELIMINATED some taxes (death tax and interest earnings) all the while providing MORE services and increasing QOL. WTF? Is it another planet? The anti universe? Literally the opposite of what happens in CT. They even scribed into LAW that the state income tax can NEVER be implemented. To protect the future against economy sucking liberals. Now THAT was smart. As they become more desirable, they observe what has happened elsewhere, and proactively avoid the North Carolina effect where every NY and NJ transplant can't come and obliterate the antic of what made them desirable in the first place. Smart. How clairvoyant for a place so uneducated...

The real death of the south (other than their glutinous consumption of fried foods) would be an insurrection of the neo-left . Taxes will only spiral out of control if/when people from Cali and the northeast take over government and declare TN spend all their money on the trailer trash meth heads in Appalachia, or the heroin dealers and criminal scum in Memphis, or become a sanctuary state for tens of thousands of refugees who despise them and serve as cultural ichonoclasts to all that they stand for...that will be what raises their taxes. Caring more about the disenfranchised underclass of scam artists and underachievers than they do the productive working class that made them successful in the first place...
If wages are rising, tax receipts should also be rising, so that doesn't make sense.

Since you guys love TN so much then you should also know that TN is the 3rd most dependent state on Fed Govt Aid nearly 40% of its revenue came from the Feds. Whereas, CT is #48 and receiving 25% of its revenue from the Feds. CT is generating huge tax receipts for the Fed Govt.

This chart is from 2014, but I'm sure newer charts will be similar.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If wages are rising, tax receipts should also be rising, so that doesn't make sense.

Since you guys love TN so much then you should also know that TN is the 3rd most dependent state on Fed Govt Aid nearly 40% of its revenue came from the Feds. Whereas, CT is #48 and receiving 25% of its revenue from the Feds. CT is generating huge tax receipts for the Fed Govt.

This chart is from 2014, but I'm sure newer charts will be similar.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/
Right, I meant higher levied percentages...

You can thank your fellow CT residents and the liberals they put in office for that. TN certainly didn't vote for it. Like I said in quotes post, if liberals want to pay for degenerate TN meth heads, that's their choice. But it ain't coming from no state funds, because they were smart enough to protect themselves in writing...

Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Uhhh... I am sure our politicians said the same thing 40 years ago. Also those states are booming now but they also get hit very hard during downturns. And by all accounts that I see states that rely heavily on Federal money, like a Tennessee as MrGompers pointed out, are going to be hit pretty hard as the current administration reduces the size of subsidies and spending. Fortunately most of Connecticuts federal money goes to military and transportation, two areas that they plan to expand spending. Jay

Old 06-10-2017, 09:25 PM

44 posts, read 48,188 times
Serious question...

How did CT get itself into a position where it is #48 in the nation for federal aid spending?

I could see where being #48 could be presented as a good thing.(We have many wealthy residents. Little aid required.) It could also be seen as a negative.(The wealthy can't hide it all and are paying substantial taxes. While we are getting less for our federal tax dollar.)

Let's hope there are increased orders to UTC and their suppliers. Both to get a better return on our taxes as well as new jobs in state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut