Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times

Advertisements

You can consolidate a bit even within a community. Bloomfield has a nice senior center/cable studio/community center. The more use a building has the better.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
The politicians in CT just do not have the political will power to say no to constituents. The politicians in Texas, Utah, Arizona etc they actually have the will power say no to people, the ability to think 5 minutes ahead of themselves. "No we can't afford this program or grant & it will hurt our productivity" "I'm sorry but we have to cut this program its just not sustainable" You will never hear a CT politician say these things; and once you create a whole culture of people reliant on government its impossible to take things away. Whats going to happen when we can't afford welfare or busy work government jobs for these folks in BPT, Waterbury, New Haven ect who've been reliant on the system for generations now? It's going to be mayham.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
County Govts are never going to happen in CT. The local Govts do not want to give up control of any processes or depts they oversee. For anyone who has lived outside of CT, they will realize that county Govts are not all they're cracked up to be either.

I like the local control of Govt in CT, but there is certainly ways to consolidate functions/depts that would have little to no impact on the citizens (other than possibly reducing taxes)
I already mentioned these before, but a lot of consolation can take place with admin functions like payroll, HR, Park services, leasing of office space, etc. I'm sure a focus group could come up with more ideas.

If you want to see something really funny. Drive down Christian Lane in Berlin and you will see "Berlin animal control" and "New Britain animal control" in separate buildings on each side of the city/town line.
(The buildings are actually side by side.) Granted NB is bigger, but I'm sure they could have figured out a consolidation plan if they tried (before putting up the buildings)

You can also drive around CT and see all the new municipal buildings that have gone up in recent years. Buildings such as town halls, community centers, police stations, etc. Then ask yourself if some of these buildings could have been consolidated with other towns.

Some school systems and the CT court system are actually consolidated so it is possible to get this done in CT.
Have you lived outside of CT and had firsthand experience with county government?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
The thing with county governments is that they work perfectly for places with no other extant governments. My land in Florida is not part of any incorporated town, it is only a CDP. With no town/city to provide services, the county does an excellent job of managing fire, water, sewer, schools, pest control, ect. as you would expect from any other government. My county has a population of around 150,000. Area is about the same as New Haven County. New Haven County has a population of about 850,000. At that high of a population density, it is far more practicable for the functions currently delegated to the towns (eg, all of them) to remain that way, instead go down a path of consolidation of services.

The one argument for counties is that the consolidation that comes with them is mostly very efficient. We have had a consistent $20 million surplus out of a budget of about $600m including schools. Mill rate is just over 16 on everything. Places like Waterbury, New Haven, Hartford would do well with consolidation, might lower mill rates in those places.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Have you lived outside of CT and had firsthand experience with county government?

Yes I have. I prefer CT's Govt system, but there are still functions they can consolidate if they wanted too. Admin functions probably being #1.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Looks like the state's investment in bringing Jackson Labs to Farmington is paying off. They are ahead of schedule to have 300 researchers there. Take that Rick Scott! Jay

Jackson Lab Hires More Scientists, Nearing Goal of 300 Employees - Hartford Courant

Old 06-20-2017, 02:52 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
A lot of people I know want Counties to lower their tax rates

Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
10 days left no budget begin close to begin passed that means there strong chance after July 1st there no budget in CT

Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like the state's investment in bringing Jackson Labs to Farmington is paying off. They are ahead of schedule to have 300 researchers there. Take that Rick Scott! Jay

Jackson Lab Hires More Scientists, Nearing Goal of 300 Employees - Hartford Courant
UTC created 380 jobs and moved executives from Farmington to west palm Florida. Kicker is more jobs half the incentive.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

So I guess Rick Scott did take "it."

I do understand what you are saying and it is good that these very good jobs are here. I'm kind of jaded because I just came back from South Carolina where there is huge growth going on. It does make CT look very stagnant after going to a place that is growing.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

I'm sure Governor Scott is just shivering right now.... So how many millions did we have to spend to get that paltry 300 jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut