Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I don't know anyone that has cable any more other than people over 40 that has a decent size family. Give it 5 years or so and some of these cable providers will be cutting jobs due to the demand is just not there
I have "unlimited" data on my VerizonWireless, and would never use for Netflix - we have 4 users at home, watching 2-3 shows/ movies simultaneously. Verizon throttles down the speed after 20 or 25 GB, not sure exactly. Whichever it is -- it will only last only a couple of days / month.

You betcha we're not letting go of cable anytime soon.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
May be 'great news' for now, but how stable is the cable industry? Millenials are known as the 'cord never' generation because very few of them are willing to subscribe to the cable video subscriptions. Many of them also use only their smart phones for internet too. Then we get into the topic of 5G wireless which will cause severe competition to cable broadband internet. Charter and other cable companies do not have a rosy future by any stretch of the imagination.
Cable isn't going anywhere. Cable TV, sure, but cord-never is enabled by a cable internet connection in most parts of the country. It also makes more financial sense still to have a limited mobile data plan and pay for internet service.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It is interesting but apparently there are only three buildings with enough space to house Charter Communications: the former UBS Building at 677 Washington; the former Pitney Bowes headquarters at 1 Elmcroft; and the BLT Financial Center at 200 Elm Street. According to the article below, BLT would barely be able to accommodate Charter and would not leave any room for a further expansion. Of course Charter could decide to build its own building somewhere. I believe the site that Bridgewater was considering several years back is still available. Will be interesting to see. Jay

Experts see few local properties able to house Charter - Connecticut Post

Old 06-29-2017, 08:24 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Norwalk supermarket/dairy store chain Stew Leonard's is working with shopping mall developer GGP to open their seventh store somewhere in the region. GGP is the developer of the SoNo Collection in South Norwalk which will have a supermarket as part of its store roster but it also owns a number of other malls including Waterbury's Brass Mill Center, the Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester and malls in Bridgewater, Paramus, Wayne and Woodbridge, New Jersey. They are also developing a mall in
Staten Island, New York. If I had to guess I would say that the next Stew Leonard's would be in New Jersey. It seems like an untapped market for the Stew Leonard's brand which is well known in the region. Jay

Norwalk supermarket chain mulls mall expansion - Connecticut Post

Old 06-29-2017, 08:36 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is interesting but apparently there are only three buildings with enough space to house Charter Communications: the former UBS Building at 677 Washington; the former Pitney Bowes headquarters at 1 Elmcroft; and the BLT Financial Center at 200 Elm Street. According to the article below, BLT would barely be able to accommodate Charter and would not leave any room for a further expansion. Of course Charter could decide to build its own building somewhere. I believe the site that Bridgewater was considering several years back is still available. Will be interesting to see. Jay

Experts see few local properties able to house Charter - Connecticut Post
I'm still kind of confused why Charter is in Connecticut. Everything else is now in Denver. Last I knew, Liberty Media (John Malone's global cable empire) still owned 25%+ of Charter and they're in Denver. The CTO office has flipped back and forth between CT and Fiddler's Green a few times. I don't know how many people came over from the Time Warner Cable HQ in New York. Elsewhere in the company, it was a TWC bloodbath. Most of the good people refused transfers from Herndon VA to Denver and found jobs elsewhere in DC.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:08 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
CT want another tax increase

The proposed increase in the sales tax is only the first of the tax increases that the Speaker and his union masters intend to implement.

House Dems Call For Sales Tax Increase; Possible Vote July 18 - Hartford Courant

Old 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Malloy: “The House of Representatives failed” | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Norwalk supermarket/dairy store chain Stew Leonard's is working with shopping mall developer GGP to open their seventh store somewhere in the region. GGP is the developer of the SoNo Collection in South Norwalk which will have a supermarket as part of its store roster but it also owns a number of other malls including Waterbury's Brass Mill Center, the Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester and malls in Bridgewater, Paramus, Wayne and Woodbridge, New Jersey. They are also developing a mall in
Staten Island, New York. If I had to guess I would say that the next Stew Leonard's would be in New Jersey. It seems like an untapped market for the Stew Leonard's brand which is well known in the region. Jay

Norwalk supermarket chain mulls mall expansion - Connecticut Post
Sounds smart they already have 3 wine Stores in NJ.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT want another tax increase

The proposed increase in the sales tax is only the first of the tax increases that the Speaker and his union masters intend to implement.

House Dems Call For Sales Tax Increase; Possible Vote July 18 - Hartford Courant
Nope nope nope. Enough raising taxes and stop cutting services to DDS/DMHAS/ECF CT.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 AM

"Revenue, taxes, whatever you want to call it. Len Fasano, the top republican in the senate says the democratic budget has 800 million dollars in new taxes."

"The proposal is to take the current sales tax of 6.35% and bump that up to 6.99% and allowing cities and towns to kick that up to 7.9% on food and drinks served bars and restaurants."

WTNH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut