Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jersey shore??? Are you kidding me?
(On a lighter note)

The Jersey shore puts CT beaches to shame, not sure if you've ever been. I have personally not experienced the typical stereotypes that are usually brought up like extreme overcrowding or only the trashy Snooky or Mikey Mike types go there or whatever the hell their names are.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Let's not get into this NJ verses CT on biotech. Both states suck now compared to Boston. Metro Boston has everything going, and on top of world for biotech startup and another silicon valley on the move.

What I meant is future, potential. Yes, CT is better than NJ on BIG IF. If we have a great plan and leadership at Hartford.
Your rail comment is laughable. This screen shot was from 50 minutes ago north of Philly. 125 mph on the Northeast Regional. Acela is much faster. Connecticut has nothing like that.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jersey shore??? Are you kidding me? We have Stamford which is the equivalent of Jersey City. Jay
Uh you can't compare the Jersey shore to CT beach towns... not saying it's better, just bigger and way more well known..

Old 08-17-2017, 04:53 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Your rail comment is laughable. This screen shot was from 50 minutes ago north of Philly. 125 mph on the Northeast Regional. Acela is much faster. Connecticut has nothing like that.
Your 125 mph of train in NJ or Philly is irrelevant for our local economy discussion. Amtrak cost is so high that its impact on local economy is quite small compared to commuter rail. Amtrak should be compared to airline traveling because they are the main competitor.

Further more, as far as I know, NJ has parking lot issue at most of train stations and folks in NJ need to wait years to get a parking permit. In fact, I met many NJ residents in NYC who mainly ride the bus, not train for jobs at NYC. I guess part of reason people use bus in stead of train in NJ is due to lack of parking at NJ stations. Parking situation at Metro North CT stations are a lot better from my observation. There is no availability issue for shoreline east stations for those east of New Haven.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Your 125 mph of train in NJ or Philly is irrelevant for our local economy discussion. Amtrak cost is so high that its impact on local economy is quite small compared to commuter rail. Amtrak should be compared to airline traveling because they are the main competitor.
No it's not. Why do you think the GE execs buggered out? The transportation infrastructure in Connecticut is awful. BDL has limited service and is expensive. You pretty much can't get to JFK and EWR for the long haul flights. Amtrak is horribly slow. The highway infrastructure is laughable.

It's a global economy. Corporate execs travel. Nobody is going to pick Connecticut.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:41 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No it's not. Why do you think the GE execs buggered out? The transportation infrastructure in Connecticut is awful. BDL has limited service and is expensive. You pretty much can't get to JFK and EWR for the long haul flights. Amtrak is horribly slow. The highway infrastructure is laughable.

It's a global economy. Corporate execs travel. Nobody is going to pick Connecticut.
Partially agree.

New Haven tweed airport is shame. Unfortunately due to many years of lack of attention from the state.
If Tweed airport win the lawsuit to Expand Runway, then major infrastructure block in CT is removed.
It looks that Tweed may pull off on this in the near future.

I think we don't need high-speed Amtrak that much in CT, but we do need a first class airport in New Haven
to truly enable CT economy in NYC-Stamford-New Haven metro north corridor.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
I think we don't need high-speed Amtrak that much in CT, but we do need a first class airport in New Haven to truly enable CT economy in NYC-Stamford-New Haven metro north corridor.
YES.... southern CT needs a major airport. Of many of the reasons people are leaving, this is a major one. Right now, people from New Haven west generally use NY airports unless they can find cheap direct fares at BDL... that's unacceptable for any major metro area... let alone one as affluent as SW CT

Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

Further more, as far as I know, NJ has parking lot issue at most of train stations and folks in NJ need to wait years to get a parking permit. In fact, I met many NJ residents in NYC who mainly ride the bus, not train for jobs at NYC. I guess part of reason people use bus in stead of train in NJ is due to lack of parking at NJ stations. Parking situation at Metro North CT stations are a lot better from my observation. There is no availability issue for shoreline east stations for those east of New Haven.
never had that issue, used several NJ stations

Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Partially agree.

New Haven tweed airport is shame. Unfortunately due to many years of lack of attention from the state.
If Tweed airport win the lawsuit to Expand Runway, then major infrastructure block in CT is removed.
It looks that Tweed may pull off on this in the near future.

I think we don't need high-speed Amtrak that much in CT, but we do need a first class airport in New Haven
to truly enable CT economy in NYC-Stamford-New Haven metro north corridor.
roi not worth it

Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh you can't compare the Jersey shore to CT beach towns... not saying it's better, just bigger and way more well known..
Read my post and the post I was responding to. The discussion was about economies, not the quality of the beaches. BPt111 was comparing the economy of Jersey City and the Jersey shore to Connecticut. Made little sense which is why I questioned it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut