Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

Will Alexion be next? Moving to Boston?

This is not good. Another company moving out, if it ends up being true. It's saying in the article that it will be clarified tomorrow morning. The state plans to give them $26 million to keep them staying put. When will the state learn that it has nothing to do with taxes, and everything to do with where the new workforce wants to be. Suburbs aren't cutting it if many of the attractive suburbs aren't affordable to millenials with mounting debt. The funny thing is that they literally just finished their building in New Haven, and now theyre thinking of leaving LOL.
Horrible, or just another day in the Malloy administration.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If Alexion chooses to leave, I can't think of one major company headquartered within New Haven. Many of the ones that I know of either left or went out of business, like Winchester Repeating Arms.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

Will Alexion be next? Moving to Boston?

This is not good. Another company moving out, if it ends up being true. It's saying in the article that it will be clarified tomorrow morning. The state plans to give them $26 million to keep them staying put. When will the state learn that it has nothing to do with taxes, and everything to do with where the new workforce wants to be. Suburbs aren't cutting it if many of the attractive suburbs aren't affordable to millenials with mounting debt. The funny thing is that they literally just finished their building in New Haven, and now theyre thinking of leaving LOL.
New Haven needs more critical mass to be viable as a talent pool. It does have a lot of the ingredients that Millenials want, but lacks the quantity of quality jobs.

That is really bad for the city and state. Sounds like they'll reap some of the financial benefits the state offered and immediately book. If the only requirement was to hold out until this year (1 year!), who can blame them? Play the state and leave.

More proof of an administration with no vision, gumption, PR ability, and one which is firmly stuck in the past

Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'm curious how moving to Boston the 8th most expensive realestate market in the US has to do with housing. It's more about being hip and trendy.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Oops. Never mind. It actually has been just confirmed. The article mentions that layoffs will be included but the number is unknown. Shame.

Alexion to move headquarters out of New Haven | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
If Alexion chooses to leave, I can't think of one major company headquartered within New Haven. Many of the ones that I know of either left or went out of business, like Winchester Repeating Arms.
Star Supply, Assa Ablloy (NA HQ), Higher One, Sportech (NA HQ). I'm sure there's a few others, but yeah, not much. Just regional offices.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven needs more critical mass to be viable as a talent pool. It does have a lot of the ingredients that Millenials want, but lacks the quantity of quality jobs.

That is really bad for the city and state. Sounds like they'll reap some of the financial benefits the state offered and immediately book. If the only requirement was to hold out until this year (1 year!), who can blame them? Play the state and leave.

More proof of an administration with no vision, gumption, PR ability, and one which is firmly stuck in the past
Agree. New Haven has the proper ingredients but jobs need to come first, and good paying jobs. I don't want to be a debbie downer but I don't think any administration of any sort, Republican majority or Democrat majority, can fix the mess that has been created. A good governor can only lessen the damage, but not reverse it completely. People's preferences just need to be in our favor. We poached corporations to come here for decades because suburbs were better off but now we're being poached. Though this is based on pure conjecture, and I'm not defending Malloy, but I guarantee nothing would be better if Foley won. Guarantee GE and Aetna would still leave regardless.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Agree. New Haven has the proper ingredients but jobs need to come first, and good paying jobs. I don't want to be a debbie downer but I don't think any administration of any sort, Republican majority or Democrat majority, can fix the mess that has been created. A good governor can only lessen the damage, but not reverse it completely. People's preferences just need to be in our favor. We poached corporations to come here for decades because suburbs were better off but now we're being poached.
It wouldn't happen immediately, but great leadership could turn things around. The state has a lot going for it, but does a terrible job of capitalizing on and building its strengths.

Hartford and New Haven could experience booms like many smaller southern and Midwestern cities.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:16 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I'm curious how moving to Boston the 8th most expensive realestate market in the US has to do with housing. It's more about being hip and trendy.
Game over for CT. New Haven is best of all cities in CT to attract talents and high tech jobs.

Now is all about zero sum games. High tech jobs will move to Boston. It is not about costs. Boston is higher cost than New Haven. But in high tech world, cost mean very little. No mass talents, no success. Boston win, CT lose.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It wouldn't happen immediately, but great leadership could turn things around. The state has a lot going for it, but does a terrible job of capitalizing on and building its strengths.

Hartford and New Haven could experience booms like many smaller southern and Midwestern cities.
Hartford never had potential in recent years. Insurance is dying industry.

New Haven does not have critical mass. Yale and the city is too little compared to NYC or Boston. Winner takes all in this zero-sum game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut