Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Pratt & Whitney has opened its new Engineering Center in East Hartford. The Monmouth building will house 1,750 employees. What I found most interesting though is that the company has hired 1,600 new employees here in Connecticut with plans to add 8,000 more in the next 20 years. That is great number. Jay

Pratt & Whitney Opens New Engineering Headquarters In East Hartford - Hartford Courant

Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's important because bleeding edge ops is very high tech. You're not going to get the MIT/Cal Tech rocket scientist who does all the innovation in that area to move to some SE low cost hell hole like Memphis when all the non-Amazon jobs are in the high COL regions.

There's "office jobs" that are paper pushing with mostly repetitive task work and "office jobs" that create intellectual property. Amazon cares about the latter. They're competing against Google, Oracle, and Microsoft for talent.
I’m in agreement with you. Which is why I don’t think they’ll go southeast.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,058 times
It may be hard to get them to go to Memphis but I doubt it would be hard at all for Amazon to attract employees to Atlanta. Not to mention that Georgia Tech is a "home grown" source of world class tech/engineering/computer science graduates and Atlanta is pretty competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’m in agreement with you. Which is why I don’t think they’ll go southeast.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:29 AM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
It may be hard to get them to go to Memphis but I doubt it would be hard at all for Amazon to attract employees to Atlanta. Not to mention that Georgia Tech is a "home grown" source of world class tech/engineering/computer science graduates and Atlanta is pretty competitive.
Yes, I’ve said before ATL is the only city in the SE that has a shot.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Huh? I've been to Atlanta. A lot. The tech jobs are in the northeastern suburbs a jillion miles outside of the city. The airport is on the south side of the city and it has the usual rush hour traffic jam with minimal railed public transportation options so you can't easily get from that tech office building in the northern suburbs to ATL to catch a 5pm flight. There isn't anything particularly redeeming about downtown Atlanta. It's kind of like a big Hartford where everybody flees to the suburbs at 5pm. You can't put Amazon in the urban core because nobody wants to live there and the transportation is lousy. If you put it in a huge suburban office park north/northeast of the city, it's like all the other places Amazon doesn't want to go because it wants to attract the kind of talent that doesn't want to live in gated suburban communities where everything is done by automobile.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? I've been to Atlanta. A lot. The tech jobs are in the northeastern suburbs a jillion miles outside of the city. The airport is on the south side of the city and it has the usual rush hour traffic jam with minimal railed public transportation options so you can't easily get from that tech office building in the northern suburbs to ATL to catch a 5pm flight. There isn't anything particularly redeeming about downtown Atlanta. It's kind of like a big Hartford where everybody flees to the suburbs at 5pm. You can't put Amazon in the urban core because nobody wants to live there and the transportation is lousy. If you put it in a huge suburban office park north/northeast of the city, it's like all the other places Amazon doesn't want to go because it wants to attract the kind of talent that doesn't want to live in gated suburban communities where everything is done by automobile.
I agree. And Georgia politics don't mesh well with Amazon's.

Interestingly I just saw a ranking of locations and was shocked to see Hartford ranked No. 3. I could maybe see Stamford but Hartford??? Still it is located half way between Boston and New York, has a wealth of potential employees and has a decent culture for a small city. I don't think there are any existing empty buildings large enough for their first building though. Will see. Jay

Old 11-15-2017, 09:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,058 times
I've lived in Atlanta. While MARTA does not have the best rail system by any stretch of the imagination it is quite feasible to use it from the northern suburbs to the airport- in fact I did it many, many times when I lived there. Many companies have shuttles to the North Springs station and for those that don't it is not at all difficult to drive and park there to take the train to Hartsfield. Further, you are ignoring the large and growing tech presence in mid-town and in Buckhead- both of which are very convenient to the airport. There is also a large and expanding number of housing options in the city that would appeal to the type of workers Amazon will attract. Atlantic Station, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands. All great places that would appeal to recent grads and older workers. (Schools suck but there are good options for private schools which this demographic can afford.)

Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. And Georgia politics don't mesh well with Amazon's.

Interestingly I just saw a ranking of locations and was shocked to see Hartford ranked No. 3. I could maybe see Stamford but Hartford??? Still it is located half way between Boston and New York, has a wealth of potential employees and has a decent culture for a small city. I don't think there are any existing empty buildings large enough for their first building though. Will see. Jay

You probably know it already, but there's a lot of open land around BDL. A lot of the old tobacco farms have sold off land around Day Hill Rd during the last 10 years. There's also horse farms north of BDL that people may be willing to sell.

Hartford county population is approx 900k, has easy access to an airport (BDL), public transportation is already in place, and being expanded, nearly all the towns in the area have good schools.

Amazon would also be drawing employees from Southern Mass, which would make the population pool 1 million+.

If Amazon really did locate here, housing prices will go thru the roof, which is good for current owners, but not new owners.

I could see Hartford being top 20 on the list, but #3 seems too high.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:19 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Have a feeling it's going to be Austin Texas or just Texas in general for Amazon's HQ. Be cool if they did an East Coast and West Coast thing with the HQ's.

Only places can see them picking is Chicago, Boston, NYC, or Atlanta. I think it be cool if they picked a City that has potential and help it develop. Be cool to see what Amazon's HQ2 could do for the Hartford area.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
Windsor would be a good location. All the land needed is there within a couple of miles of the airport. They could even have their own terminal. Additionally, Amtrak is upgrading the train line which will eventually improve connections to Boston and NYC. A light rail line could be revisited between Hartford and Bradley with an Amazon stop possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut