Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think you are correct. The Republicans really threaded the needle on this tax bill and really put the screws to the blue states on both coasts.

How does New Hampshire pay to run the state if there is no state income tax. Is it all through sales taxes? Is that what CT did before Weicker began the income state income tax?
CT poorest cities cannot afford run without state help so taxes kick in and CT love to spent, spent then raise tax

Old 12-22-2017, 12:33 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I knew this when it was thrown in. Opposed to it ever since. The law is designed to screw over blue states. It sure helps some place like New Hampshire, with no state income tax, but really hurts some place like New York, with high state and property taxes. I've been constant in my belief it's a gut kick to the Connecticut economy. If we can't get through our current budget mess, how do people think that yet another blow will suddenly magically get the government to "clean up the mess" that is our finances. If they could wave a wand and do it, they would.
Here it is from Business Insider. You are correct.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...nd-new-york-11

11 worst cities for homeowners after the tax bill kicks in.

5) San Francisco
4) Fairfield County
3) New York, New York
2) Newark, NJ
1) Long Island, NY

You know in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" how happy the Grinch was when he went about planning how to stop Christmas. I bet that is the same look the Republicans had when they figured out how the "bastions of blue" were going to get screwed by this law.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM

845 posts, read 680,031 times
Quote:
I think you are correct. The Republicans really threaded the needle on this tax bill and really put the screws to the blue states on both coasts.

How does New Hampshire pay to run the state if there is no state income tax. Is it all through sales taxes? Is that what CT did before Weicker began the income state income tax?
New Hampshire runs a very lean government, and takes in a lot less per capita than surrounding states. New Hampshire relies on its property taxes, income taxes on dividends and interest (5%), along with various fees and taxes on most things in the state. e.g. on your power bill or cellphone bill. 31% of New Hampshire's revenue comes from business taxes, the rest are paid by the state's residents.

Keep in mind, New Hampshire has neither sales taxes nor income taxes.

Quote:
Here it is from Business Insider. You are correct.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...nd-new-york-11

11 worst cities for homeowners after the tax bill kicks in.

5) San Francisco
4) Fairfield County
3) New York, New York
2) Newark, NJ
1) Long Island, NY

You know in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" how happy the Grinch was when he went about planning how to stop Christmas. I bet that is the same look the Republicans had when they figured out how the "bastions of blue" were going to get screwed by this law.
Yup. I called it. I said it on here even before it passed. Home prices will probably decline almost statewide on a lot of houses, wiping out a ton of equity that people have relied on and built their lives around. It's really a wonderful thing to drop right before Christmas. I do not believe in the full doom and gloom scenario some Democrats are calling for, but to imply that this is great news for the entire country is hilariously inaccurate.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:59 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I knew this when it was thrown in. Opposed to it ever since. The law is designed to screw over blue states. It sure helps some place like New Hampshire, with no state income tax, but really hurts some place like New York, with high state and property taxes. I've been constant in my belief it's a gut kick to the Connecticut economy. If we can't get through our current budget mess, how do people think that yet another blow will suddenly magically get the government to "clean up the mess" that is our finances. If they could wave a wand and do it, they would.
It's going to hurt the 100,000 NH residents who work in MA. They used to be able to deduct MA income tax but no longer.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...110800113.html

"SALT
The third change that could hit wealthier homeowners is the state and local tax deduction (or SALT), which allows Americans to lower the share of their taxable federal income. The bill caps SALT at $10,000 and restricts deductions to only property taxes. "

I did not know this. It appears that we can no longer deduct our CT state taxes.
This is not the case in the final version of the bill. Our total deduction is capped at $10K, but it includes state income and property taxes.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:49 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Census: Immigration Spared Connecticut Large Population Loss - Hartford Courant

22,000 Ct residents leave for other states. Ouch!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:33 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
This is not the case in the final version of the bill. Our total deduction is capped at $10K, but it includes state income and property taxes.
The WSJ added a new tool that will compute your 2018 tax liability based on actual w-2 wages, state income tax, property tax and charitable deductions. Despite the sky is falling narrative, I’m looking at a 13,000 savings. Wow. Love it. Lower brackets and no AMT supersedes the 10,000 cap on SALT. Would I save more $ in florida, absolutely but I’m not worse off here despite mid 20k property tax.

Republican Tax Plan Calculator

Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
https://www.cbia.com/news/economy/jo...-crisis-point/

Yikes.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Tax reform that passed recently could have big impact on CT income tax

https://ctmirror.org/2017/12/22/fede...te-income-tax/

Old 12-22-2017, 11:18 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

This is tragic. The state worked hard (sadly) to create the horrific business climate it now has. If not for a national economy doing extremely well, I suspect we'd be seeing monthly losses in 5 digits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut