Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Up to $101million in the red. A Delta of ($40m) from last month. Now the State is blaming seniors for being conservative on their investments and blaming multimillionaires/billionaires for using legal means to sheltor money in order to reduce income tax payments. Deficit Projected at $101 Million As Wall Street Money Slows - Hartford Courant

Also, I want to point out that Greenwich Residents pays $738M to that the state and receive $4.9M back for their community. So, if you think sheltering income is right or wrong, you can't blame them when they pay so much and receive such little support back (in the form of grants) from CT. I'd try and keep a bit more for myself.

Malloy has some fantasy numbers in this budget it looks like. By all accounts, income growth and tax revenue seems to be declining. Not a good thing with a looming $1.6B deficit on the horizon. Hold on to your wallets people. This could be a bumpy ride.
I believe the residents of Greenwich get more that $4.9 million back from the money they send to Hartford. What about the money spent to maintain roads in Greenwich or the roads Greenwich residents use in other towns. Also how about the money that goes to the court system that all residents use to prosecute criminals or settle lawsuits. Or for the state social services that are given to Greenwich residents (and yes Greenwich residents do have needs for state social services). Still I agree that they do give out more than they get, but that could be said about many affluent communities and not just hose here in Connecticut. Jay

Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I believe the residents of Greenwich get more that $4.9 million back from the money they send to Hartford. What about the money spent to maintain roads in Greenwich or the roads Greenwich residents use in other towns. Also how about the money that goes to the court system that all residents use to prosecute criminals or settle lawsuits. Or for the state social services that are given to Greenwich residents (and yes Greenwich residents do have needs for state social services). Still I agree that they do give out more than they get, but that could be said about many affluent communities and not just hose here in Connecticut. Jay
I think he was referring to the direct aid from the state to Greenwich. But $4.9 million does seem a bit low in any case. But the issue is how the state directly subsidizes towns and cities as opposed to the state funding services that are the province of the state like the court system or maintenance of state roads. Its problematic that cities and towns are so reliant on state funding to balance their budgets.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I think he was referring to the direct aid from the state to Greenwich. But $4.9 million does seem a bit low in any case. But the issue is how the state directly subsidizes towns and cities as opposed to the state funding services that are the province of the state like the court system or maintenance of state roads. Its problematic that cities and towns are so reliant on state funding to balance their budgets.
Yes. Direct aid from the state. My fault, I forgot the link before.

GOP critic: Gov. redistributing income from rich towns to cities - Connecticut Post

It's interesting to see the redistribution of wealth.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:

GOP critic: Gov. redistributing income from rich towns to cities - Connecticut Post

If Avon had more state owned exempt property I'd agree. A lot of the extra money from the state to the big 7 is PILOT transfers, which were sorely under paid under Rell despite the state already paying cents on the dollar if those properties were on the grand rolls. Add huge hospitals, universities, prisons, etc the cities lose a lot of taxable acres that are needed for the state to function. I think Boucher is a blow hard that isn't really concerned with the details.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
It's not surprising. This is why I'm against the Hartford baseball stadium. The city has no money, is being propped up by the rest of the state and its going to spend money it doesn't have. Oh, and they're luring a team from another city in state.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:

Boucher says:
Quote:
So many of our towns are shrinking. I have a town of Redding that is shrinking so badly they're having a hard time fielding sports teams in their schools.
Is Redding really losing population?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM

287 posts, read 623,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Boucher says:

I'm not surprised. The trends are changing - most people don't want to live in Weston, Redding, Easton etc anymore, and prefer the more convenient towns, and more in town locations (there's a reason why Greens Farms homes are selling at a premium compared to the Red Coat or Coleytown areas, for instance). I'm sure this trend will reverse in the next 20 or so years, but that's what buyers want these days.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
I'm not surprised. The trends are changing - most people don't want to live in Weston, Redding, Easton etc anymore, and prefer the more convenient towns, and more in town locations (there's a reason why Greens Farms homes are selling at a premium compared to the Red Coat or Coleytown areas, for instance). I'm sure this trend will reverse in the next 20 or so years, but that's what buyers want these days.
So real estate prices in these areas are declining?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
I agree but Coleytown is a bit much. You can be on the Post rd or Main St in 5 minutes.
And 20 years ago it was the opposite trend, everybody i knew under the sun wanted the big house in the forests.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Boucher says:

Perhaps grammar school enrollments are declining--- but Redding and Wilton are among the fastest growing towns in CT.

Formally from the 2000 & 2010 Census, Redding gained nearly 10% in population from 8,270 to 9,144. I know CERC is showing a decline from 2010 until the ACS 2013 survey, but here is a reputable source that states otherwise:

Census: Populations growing in all Fairfield County towns - Trending (Redding grew 1.5% from 2010 through 2013).

Wilton gained 3.2% over the same period (despite losing headcount in K-3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut