Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 07:01 AM

13 posts, read 12,565 times

Advertisements

A town-by-town breakdown of how Malloy's budget affects your town:

https://ctmirror.org/2018/02/05/see-...ernors-budget/

Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Very helpful article. Thanks!

Last edited by KH02; 02-07-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Most areas are starting to move in the right direction. Private employment is moving up and government employment is moving down. Construction is the biggest negative most likely due to the paralysis on infrastructure projects in the state due to budgetary problems. However, manufacturing continues to be strong in CT and is gaining ground. Manufacturers are hungering for employees with skills. Goodwin College and a few others are expanding programs and trying to help meet the education and training needs but better coordination is needed especially with secondary schools within the state. Our leaders need to listen to business leaders needs and establish a clear plan to attract young people and families to move to CT to come fill the available jobs. Affordable apartments are in short supply as is the type of infrastructure and amenities young people desire. Any growth plan needs to address these critical factors.

Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation

Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
I am seeing the construction thing starting to take a toll. The highway work and roadway which is usually bidding heavy now for jobs in the summer is almost non existent. Our engineering firms are telling us they have to reach out to RI and MA to keep people busy. I worked in heavy highway now more focused on utilities and we are seeing a flood of companies bidding utilities because the highway sector is slow.

I just hope some people get their act together because 2018 could be a hard year for CT. Something needs to be done because CT is slowing down. Maybe the drop in the stock market will help because people will pull money out but it’s sad that CT has to rely on hopes in order not to go bankrupt.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Most areas are starting to move in the right direction. Private employment is moving up and government employment is moving down. Construction is the biggest negative most likely due to the paralysis on infrastructure projects in the state due to budgetary problems. However, manufacturing continues to be strong in CT and is gaining ground. Manufacturers are hungering for employees with skills. Goodwin College and a few others are expanding programs and trying to help meet the education and training needs but better coordination is needed especially with secondary schools within the state. Our leaders need to listen to business leaders needs and establish a clear plan to attract young people and families to move to CT to come fill the available jobs. Affordable apartments are in short supply as is the type of infrastructure and amenities young people desire. Any growth plan needs to address these critical factors.

Labor Market Information - State of Connecticut Labor Situation
Interesting. So been looking at State jobs here and out of CT. Trend with CT seems different then other States. Where State jobs pay less then private job's. CT is the opposite, but also CT State jobs have a lot of uncertainty in regards to being stable.

Also Wife and I are mulling over should we go or stay due to higher education issues. Right now in Limbo waiting to hear back in April from a school. With that said few issues that are pushing us away from the State and probably other's. So let's look at border State's. Wife and I are looking to be nurse's. Have the option of going to Stare school, which now a days up North is pricey. The other option is Community College, which isn't terrible. However, CC offer very little flexibility. Can go to school in the evening and part time in our border State's. The State run LPN programs were shut down at the Tech High Schools now only private options left. If you go to the border State's flexible evening LPN programs at low cost at the Community College that make segwaying your degree easier to an ASN or BSN program. Also programs are being condensed or removed so again limited options.

Now housing is another reason looking to move out for the interim. Combined make $70K a year. With taxes, school loans, gas, paying for college, bills, utilities, and so forth it adds up to about $4,000 a month. Other States can find new developments or 10 yr or less developments for $1200 or less for 2bdr units. In CT that's not even possible. It's nearly impossible to find in a low mill rate town a house under $250K. So that adds up the limited housing options.

I don't mind I enjoy CT. Enjoy the beauty of the State. The attractions. Proximity to NY, RI, and Mass.

When I say this mean this with sincerity and hopes for the best...The State of Connecticut needs to wake up. Needs to create more affordable housing options, offer more school options at affordable prices, offer more tax incentives, offer more sales tax exemptions, and lower property tax rates in Cities. Also needs to figure says to expand State job service's, but it's a small State so understandable limited options. Next is opening up the State more to businesses and encouraging growth of businesses here.

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-08-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Interesting. So been looking at State jobs here and out of CT. Trend with CT seems different then other States. Where State jobs are less then private job's. CT is the opposite, but also CT State jobs have a lot of uncertainty in regards to being stable.

Also Wife and I are mulling over should we go or stay due to higher education issues. Right now in Limbo waiting to hear back in April from a school. With that said few issues that are pushing us away from the State and probably other's. So let's look at border State's. Wife and I are looking to be nurse's. Have the option of going to Stare school, which now a days up North is pricey. The other option is Community College, which isn't terrible. However, CC offer very little flexibility. Can go to school in the evening and part time in our border State's. The State run LPN programs were shut down at the Tech High Schools now only private options left. If you go to the border State's flexible evening LPN programs at low cost at the Community College that make segwaying your degree easier to an ASN or BSN program. Also programs are bri g condensed or removed so again limited options.

Now housing is another reason looking to move out for the interim. Combined make $70K a year. With taxes, school loans, gas, paying for college, bills, utilities, and so forth it adds up to about $4,000 a month. Other States can find new developments or 10 yr or less developments for $1200 or less for 2bdr units. In CT that's not even possible. It's nearly impossible to find in a low mill rate town a house under $250K. So that adds up the limited housing options.

I don't mind I enjoy CT. Enjoy the beauty of the State. The attractions. Proximity to NY, RI, and Mass.

When I say this mean this with sincerity and hopes for the best...The State of Connecticut needs to wake up. Need to create more affordable housing options, offer more school options at affordable prices, offer more tax incentives, offer more sales tax exemptions, and lower property tax rates in Cities.
Not happening with current CT government

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Sorry, CT MassMutual is closing it Enfield, CT location and moving 1,500 jobs to Springfield, Mass

MassMutual to close Enfield facility, move jobs to Massachusetts | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 02-08-2018, 10:41 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I am seeing the construction thing starting to take a toll. The highway work and roadway which is usually bidding heavy now for jobs in the summer is almost non existent. Our engineering firms are telling us they have to reach out to RI and MA to keep people busy. I worked in heavy highway now more focused on utilities and we are seeing a flood of companies bidding utilities because the highway sector is slow.

I just hope some people get their act together because 2018 could be a hard year for CT. Something needs to be done because CT is slowing down. Maybe the drop in the stock market will help because people will pull money out but it’s sad that CT has to rely on hopes in order not to go bankrupt.
We are seeing it too. The state has halted a number of projects from going out to bid because the Transportation Fund is running out of money. Commissioner Redeker told a group of professionals last week, he has $1 billion in obligations over the next year but only $800 million in funds. Even worse is that we are in jeopardy of not getting all of the federal money we could if projects do not go to construction. That could mean millions lost to the state economy.

The Republicans have said there is no problem with the Transportation Fund. Redeker says that is an out and out lie. The Republicans are saying "why rush", leave it to the new Governor to come up with a plan. The problem is that this is an immediate problem, one that the Legislature has chose to ignore for at least a decade now. It will take the new Governor at least a year to come up with and implement any type of funding plan so that means we lose at least two years of highway projects that could be under construction and adding to our economy. That is too long to wait. Jay

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

CT lose 1500 now gain 524

WILTON -
Gov. Dannel Malloy announced today ASML is planning to grow its operations in Wilton.

The expansion will create up to 524 new jobs and added to its current workforce in the town of 1,222 employees.

The company will construct a parking garage, expand its manufacturing and engineering operations, and make interior renovations.

The expansion project could potentially be $100 million.

ASML is one of the world's leading manufacturers of chip-making equipment used for electronic, communications, and information technology products.

http://connecticut.news12.com/story/...reate-new-jobs

Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Sorry, CT MassMutual is closing it Enfield, CT location and moving 1,500 jobs to Springfield, Mass

MassMutual to close Enfield facility, move jobs to Massachusetts | WTNH Connecticut News
At least they'll still have jobs but note that new jobs are coming to Boston as well as a new tower. From another article, MM is also closing offices in NC, NJ, PA, and TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut