Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

1990s kids and years 2000 are future of Connecticut

Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Curious to know what you all think of commercial vacant property registry ordinances as part of blight rules ... Not even sure how legal they would be under CTstate statute, & if not then maybe they should be as a way to jump start movement.. We've actually got some slacker commercial property owners around...

I'm talking about those Owners of commercial properties that are willfully sitting on marketing their properties for use (in essence letting them go commercially fallow), failing for decades to find a use, isn't it kinda willfully deleterious &causing harm & denying their municipalities the intended revenue streams of those commercial zones.. Which ultimately means that there is a huge Opportunity Loss of CT to get earnings from those commercial properties' use...
Many municipalities around the country are doing it .. Setting up these registries that are intended to halt these owners from just holding on &paying base land taxes on commercial vacant land ... But doing nothing else with it...
Minneapolis, Syracuse, and on & on..

All these vacant properties are around everywhere&are just sitting .... Its horrible and hurtful to revenue streams of CT towns that doled out those commercial zone designations only to have nothing at all persued .. ...Maybe CT towns can cite Public Nuisance to at least force them to go the extra public shaming step of registering as "vacant or & unmarketed".. and so towns can at least collect on vacant property registry fees for unused vacant commercial plots..

I get that they can't be forced to develop properties , but why can't municipalities charge an extra "registry fee" if the owner's make a choice to harm our state & local economy by lack of development?? This article below spurred my question..

Understanding Vacant Building Registration in Cities

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Curious to know what you all think of commercial vacant property registry ordinances as part of blight rules ... Not even sure how legal they would be under CTstate statute, & if not then maybe they should be as a way to jump start movement.. We've actually got some slacker commercial property owners around...

I'm talking about those Owners of commercial properties that are willfully sitting on marketing their properties for use (in essence letting them go commercially fallow), failing for decades to find a use, isn't it kinda willfully deleterious &causing harm & denying their municipalities the intended revenue streams of those commercial zones.. Which ultimately means that there is a huge Opportunity Loss of CT to get earnings from those commercial properties' use...
Many municipalities around the country are doing it .. Setting up these registries that are intended to halt these owners from just holding on &paying base land taxes on commercial vacant land ... But doing nothing else with it...
Minneapolis, Syracuse, and on & on..

All these vacant properties are around everywhere&are just sitting .... Its horrible and hurtful to revenue streams of CT towns that doled out those commercial zone designations only to have nothing at all persued .. ...Maybe CT towns can cite Public Nuisance to at least force them to go the extra public shaming step of registering as "vacant or & unmarketed".. and so towns can at least collect on vacant property registry fees for unused vacant commercial plots..

I get that they can't be forced to develop properties , but why can't municipalities charge an extra "registry fee" if the owner's make a choice to harm our state & local economy by lack of development?? This article below spurred my question..

Understanding Vacant Building Registration in Cities
Yes, we need to saddle landlords with more rules. Have a commercial property that the Ive been in negotiations with my next door neighbor. Billion $ company that is landlocked by me. They eventually will buy me out. So I'm not renting out the vacancy.
Maybe we should mandate new kitchen upgrades every 10 years.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Yes, we need to saddle landlords with more rules. Have a commercial property that the Ive been in negotiations with my next door neighbor. Billion $ company that is landlocked by me. They eventually will buy me out. So I'm not renting out the vacancy.
If you're in active negotiations, then that isn't willfully refusing to pursue development..

Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
If you're in active negotiations, then that isn't willfully refusing to pursue development..
Well active in the he who speaks 1st loses!
So to the outside world, not active.
Which is kinda my point

Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well active in the he who speaks 1st loses!
So to the outside world, not active.
Which is kinda my point
Hmm ok ..you're waiting for them to blink.. but what if they aren't talking cause they've already decided no...are you're expectations of their interest accurate...you sure they actually want your plot?? Or maybe for the sake of not getting the property or at least renting your plot - they'll pack up their billion $ company like GE did & go to Arkansas or Ohio etc etc ... Then what will it be worth ?? Reminds me of the Macys' Million Dollar Corner... The one that never did get bought by Macy's... ..

Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Without going into every detail. Came to me with an non solicited offer. Willing to pay a premium. While I was negotiating in good faith my tenant whose lease was in renegotiations with me found out. Informed him I'd help him move to close by location to his liking which existed. Regardless I would not leave him hanging. They want to tear my building down with no tenants left.
He panicked, left on his own accord. They back out now as they see my position weaker.
Life happens. To be fair I didn't read your link in great detail. Just it's difficult to regulate everything fairly. Seems we have enough rules.
Pharmacy wants to open in Fairfield. Neighbors block it. All with better ideas. I say put your money where your mouth is.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM

So sorry your deal hit a snag & true true there is an almost cancerous NIMBY complacency of a lot of residents ... mind numbing contentedness to keep development held at bay at all costs while they wring their hands and wonder why personal property taxes are so high..CT is just bad off, & that article just has an interesting idea..

Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
State Farm "never" commercial. Note the "never moving to the suburbs" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NqTY4k_9m8
I loved that commercial. It is so true. Along with saying you are going to raise your kids differently than your parents raised you but then finding yourself using the exact words you heard as a kid from them coming from your mouth. Too funny. Jay

Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I assume you are being sarcastic in your response and I agree. It is just regulation that will be viewed as being "business unfriendly". Unless it is shown that these registries serve a useful purpose and really help eliminate blight, I see no need for it. The cities mentioned, particularly Chicago, are not necessarily known for being the most blight-free communities. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut