Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 04:44 PM

252 posts, read 139,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Completely agree. You can find positives in any area, but it is important that there are people who are critics like Stefanowski. If we do not accept that many CT cities have issues, how will they ever improve? The cities will never be perfect, but we can at least work on improving them, and that starts with acknowledging the problems.

And if CT cities really have "a lot to offer," why don't national companies in the area promote the cities more. Look at how ESPN expanded their studios across state lines in NYC instead of CT cities like Hartford. And when I am watching ESPN shows filmed in Bristol, they never show backdrops of the Bristol cityscape in their studios. However, when watching ESPN programs filmed in NYC, they often have a sweeping NYC backdrop in the back of the studio.
Not only that, but ESPN loses talent or fails to attract it at all because Bristol is such an armpit. No CT cities are ever going to compete with NYC but they can at least try to be on par with the average small to medium sized city in the US today.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:55 AM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
Not only that, but ESPN loses talent or fails to attract it at all because Bristol is such an armpit. No CT cities are ever going to compete with NYC but they can at least try to be on par with the average small to medium sized city in the US today.
First I am no fan of Bristol but it is hardly an “armpit”. ESPN is located in a suburban office park on the edge of town and it’s not bad really. Employees are much more likely to live in neighboring Southington which is a nice suburban community. Many employees with families live in the beautiful Farmington River Valley which in a word is stunning. The towns there have very good to excellent schools, wonderful shopping and restaurants and lots of family activities. A lot of on-air personalities live there as well as technical and administrative staff.

I have a family member that works there and he says most staff like it there because it gives them access to very nice affordable homes. They wouldn’t have that if ESPN were located in New York or even lower Fairfield County.

As for your comment on Connecticut cities, I’d certainly put them up against any other comparable US city. They certainly would come out as good, if not better in quality of living. Your opinion seems a bit jaded likely because we are so close to major cities like New York and Boston. Jay

Old 01-18-2021, 03:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As for your comment on Connecticut cities, I’d certainly put them up against any other comparable US city. They certainly would come out as good, if not better in quality of living. Your opinion seems a bit jaded likely because we are so close to major cities like New York and Boston. Jay
One would put Waterbury, New London, New Britain, Hartford, Torrington, Norwich, Norwalk, or even Danbury above many other comparable cities? ANY city? Seriously?!

Oh, I forgot Bridgeport.

Besides Stamford (which is really like an annex of NYC) and the Yale area of New Haven, I can’t think of another city in CT that I would want to walk around when is dark. And I am no stranger to rough...

Old 01-18-2021, 04:21 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
One would put Waterbury, New London, New Britain, Hartford, Torrington, Norwich, Norwalk, or even Danbury above many other comparable cities? ANY city? Seriously?!

Oh, I forgot Bridgeport.

Besides Stamford (which is really like an annex of NYC) and the Yale area of New Haven, I can’t think of another city in CT that I would want to walk around when is dark. And I am no stranger to rough...
Agreed. Our cities are hardly the locations I like to show off to visitors, with the exception of Stamford, and while Yale is pretty, its hardly much safer than New Haven, if any safer.

A friend's son on their football team about ten years ago needed to crawl under a car quickly with his gf to avoid gunfire. Our cities, except Stamford, have seen far better times.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:37 PM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:

Oh, I forgot Bridgeport.

Yeah, I have to say, I agree here. The only one that MIGHT come close is New Haven. I would be embarrassed putting Bridgeport, Waterbury, New London, perhaps Hartford, and a few others against other similarly sized cities.

You’re talking comparing Bridgeport to Charleston, or Hartford to Knoxville. Having visited both in recent years - there is no comparison.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 PM

6,920 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:

Oh, I forgot Bridgeport.

You would be scared walking around Danbury and Norwalk?? really. I can't speak for the others.
They're mostly comprised of great forest neighborhoods and $1M+ LI Sound neighborhoods.
I know Stamford very well, too well actually, and the West Side is still the worst found in all three.
No one should be walking around New Haven's worst. Everyone knows this but why would you to begin with.
Sometimes I wonder about these guys

Old 01-18-2021, 04:57 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
You would be scared walking around Danbury and Norwalk?? really. I can't speak for the others.
They're mostly comprised of great forest neighborhoods and $1M+ LI Sound neighborhoods.
I know Stamford very well, too well actually, and the West Side is still the worst found in all three.
No one should be walking around New Haven's worst. Everyone knows this but why would you to begin with.
Sometimes I wonder about these guys
Agree. I’ve walked around Norwalk and Danbury at night many times, even when both cities had higher crime rates than they do now, without even a hint of an issue.

And on New Haven, I assure the others that ducking under a car to avoid gunfire is not a normal occurrence unless you’re in a bad neighborhood (but, why?) and have awful timing. I have dozens of friends and colleagues that live, work, and play in New Haven without incident. FWIW, the city’s crime rate has dropped since 10 years ago, along with every other city in CT except maybe Waterbury.

There are also plenty of nice, safe areas in New Haven besides where the Ivy League campus resides. Westville, Prospect Hill, East Rock, and Wooster Square are arguably the nicest residential area and, aside from a relatively small part of East Rock, aren’t part of the campus.

That said, Norwalk and Danbury are barely proper cities. They are suburbs with some urban-ish areas.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agree. I’ve walked around Norwalk and Danbury at night many times, even when both cities had higher crime rates than they do now, without even a hint of an issue.

And on New Haven, I assure the others that ducking under a car to avoid gunfire is not a normal occurrence unless you’re in a bad neighborhood (but, why?) and have awful timing. I have dozens of friends and colleagues that live, work, and play in New Haven without incident. FWIW, the city’s crime rate has dropped since 10 years ago, along with every other city in CT except maybe Waterbury.

There are also plenty of nice, safe areas in New Haven besides where the Ivy League campus resides. Westville, Prospect Hill, East Rock, and Wooster Square are arguably the nicest residential area and, aside from a relatively small part of East Rock, aren’t part of the campus.

That said, Norwalk and Danbury are barely proper cities. They are suburbs with some urban-ish areas.
Well said.
Beloved Nashville had 85 murders 2020. More than Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport combined.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:12 PM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
FWIW, the city’s crime rate has dropped since 10 years ago, along with every other city in CT except maybe Waterbury.
Im not suggesting New Haven’s crime got better, worse, or remained the same, but it’s important to note that crime was reclassified according to CGS under the Malloy Administration. This lowered the amount of crimes that were required to be reported federally, as opposed to other states, thus made crime appear to be lower than it actually is. It was a deliberate attempt at manipulation that, to anyone who is familiar with the Connecticut General Statutes, was astonishing to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Well said.
Beloved Nashville had 85 murders 2020. More than Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport combined.
Nashville also has a population of almost 700k, multiple times larger than the CT cities you mentioned.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Nashville also has a population of almost 700k, multiple times larger than the CT cities you mentioned.
B-H-NH are only 60 sq miles combined with 360K population. With 500 sq miles total Nashville's most notorious crime areas are probably way less than 360K. That 85 is a substantial number. Alarmimg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut