Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 25,441 times

Advertisements

I posted last week about the diversity issue in Westport. Additional question: I noticed that there seems to be quite a trend toward teardowns / new construction in Westport. Is this something that has noticeably changed the character of the town in real life? How has this affected the overall quality of living in the area? Has the town been drastically changing in terms of vibe/types of people moving into it?

For the past 5-10 years, I have been watching the more lower key, charming, neighborhood-y, sometimes gritty neighborhood of the Upper West Side of Manhattan turn into something of an urban form of a suburban NJ mall. It's been happening all of NYC so people familiar with areas like the UWS and Brooklyn would know what I'm talking about. If we leave the city, I'd want it to be for a slightly more yester-year community that existed around here even as late as 10 years ago. Now with all the luxury high-rises with full amenities inside the buildings, the neighborhood feel that existed here is quickly disappearing.

Also, unrelated but will ask it here - one of the great draws of the towns for us, is all the great parks and recs opportunities that exist in Westport (my family, particularly my husband was a collegiate sailor and still loves sailboat racing). I can see how the adults & young families think this is great, but are kids (teenagers & youth) similarly enthusiastic about these facilities? Or does it fall to the wayside when the kids get older and are not brought there/encouraged by their parents? Community pools - do many people use them or not so much?

Thanks in advance for all the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
In a word, yes. The character of the town has changed as more "affordable" (in relative terms) housing gets replaced with mini mansions. I wouldn't say theres a difference in every day quality of life, but driving through town has a different feel-- especially on some streets like Maple Avenue South, Hillspoint Road, Morningside Drive and parts of Greens Farms Road. People pretty much do the same things here they've always done, but the town feels less approachable, more exclusive. Many of us who've been in and around Westport for a long time don't like it.

On the second questions, yes the facilities in Westport are well used. Compo Beach is the center of all summer activity and you'll see people on the beach from age 1 to 100 (literally). The Longshore Pool (summer) and ice skating rink (winter) are popular as is Longshore Sailing School, etc. Athletic fields are filled with baseball and soccer, etc.

I think as kids get older they still tend to use the town facilities, but, with their friends not their parents.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemnyc2015 View Post
I posted last week about the diversity issue in Westport. Additional question: I noticed that there seems to be quite a trend toward teardowns / new construction in Westport. Is this something that has noticeably changed the character of the town in real life? How has this affected the overall quality of living in the area? Has the town been drastically changing in terms of vibe/types of people moving into it?

For the past 5-10 years, I have been watching the more lower key, charming, neighborhood-y, sometimes gritty neighborhood of the Upper West Side of Manhattan turn into something of an urban form of a suburban NJ mall. It's been happening all of NYC so people familiar with areas like the UWS and Brooklyn would know what I'm talking about. If we leave the city, I'd want it to be for a slightly more yester-year community that existed around here even as late as 10 years ago. Now with all the luxury high-rises with full amenities inside the buildings, the neighborhood feel that existed here is quickly disappearing.

Also, unrelated but will ask it here - one of the great draws of the towns for us, is all the great parks and recs opportunities that exist in Westport (my family, particularly my husband was a collegiate sailor and still loves sailboat racing). I can see how the adults & young families think this is great, but are kids (teenagers & youth) similarly enthusiastic about these facilities? Or does it fall to the wayside when the kids get older and are not brought there/encouraged by their parents? Community pools - do many people use them or not so much?

Thanks in advance for all the info.
"If we leave the city, I'd want it to be for a slightly more yester-year community that existed around here even as late as 10 years ago."

I have friends in Westport but also in Easton. Westport has a "new money" feel but Easton has that yester-year feel IMO. It's very quiet in Easton though but you might like that. You don't see a lot of people tearing down the older quaint houses to build big McMansions. There is some of that but not like in Westport.

Easton is big into preservation. My friends dad is on the board of the Aspetuck Land Trust and I have done some graphic work for them so I know how passionate they are about preservation of the town.

Welcome to Aspetuck Land Trust - ALT - Aspetuck Land Trust

Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
It's a trend that's not unique to Westport and has been happening in many coastal communities with older and outdated dense housing stock. It's most evident in the beach area neighborhoods of Fairfield which has pretty much become a permanent construction zone. The town is more than happy to approve as they generate more property tax revenue. The torn down homes are generally rundown capes and ranches that don't have much character to begin with. So you basically have these 3 story coastal looking mini-mcmansions next to run down capes and ranches that haven't been sold off yet to builders waiting in the wings.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Thanks or the responses - you're right, it's happening everywhere, it's probably not specific to that area at all. Easton is too far for us (need to get to GC once a week), but thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I have to say that just about all communities change over time. 60 years ago the locals worried about all the new subdivisions being built and changing the formerly rural landscape. Then it was the changes being made to commercial properties and now it is tear downs. My point is that things change. You can't stop that. I would not worry about it. Buy in a town you like now and accept that there will be changes in the future. The good thing that the changes will not be such things as a massive high rise being built next door. Jay

Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Jay!! I appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My point is that things change. You can't stop that.
They stop it in Easton. They don't even have a large supermarket or any kind of fast food restaurant. If you want to go back in time in Fairfield County go take a look at Easton.

BTW, there are lots of people that go to NYC on a daily basis that live in Easton. Once a week would be no big deal. I personally prefer Westport and I am a big fan of Westport but someone who wants a quiet little "yester-year" town would every happy in Easton.

I live in Trumbull (which borders Easton) and I went into NYC for school 2 days a week and it was not big deal.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
They stop it in Easton. They don't even have a large supermarket or any kind of fast food restaurant. If you want to go back in time in Fairfield County go take a look at Easton.

BTW, there are lots of people that go to NYC on a daily basis that live in Easton. Once a week would be no big deal. I personally prefer Westport and I am a big fan of Westport but someone who wants a quiet little "yester-year" town would every happy in Easton.

I live in Trumbull (which borders Easton) and I went into NYC for school 2 days a week and it was not big deal.
Not really. They still build new homes there. It is not a big town and there are homes on larger lots so the changes are not as noticeable but they are still happening. Jay.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
They don't have to stop it that often in towns like Easton because it's not as prevalent. Builders don't get the ROI they seek there. It will take them longer to resell. In beach communities like Fairfield, they will lowball the seller, go through the town permit process, demo and rebuild as quickly as possible, and turn it around with a quick sale there. Commercial development is another story and not what Gemmy was asking inquiring about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut