Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 19,168 times

Advertisements

Hi

My fiance and I are moving to East Windsor, CT (or the surrounding area) in less than 2 weeks!!!

She just got a job at the high school there and everything is happening very fast.

We currently live in the suburbs of Albany, NY.

We are looking for a good safe place to live in a town with good schools where we could raise a family. (aren't we all...)

We can afford to pay 1000-1200 a month in rent for a two bedroom apartment.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
East Windsor is fairly rural, I'm not sure if there are a lot of apartments there, but I do know there are some nice apartments in nearby Ellington (also very rural).

I don't think East Windsor borders any "bad" towns. It's actually a pretty good location, you're close to shopping in Enfield and South Windsor, and the airport in Windsor Locks is right across the river from you.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
East Windsor is fairly rural, I'm not sure if there are a lot of apartments there, but I do know there are some nice apartments in nearby Ellington (also very rural).
Nearby apartments are in Enfield and Vernon, according to Realtor.com . The apartments in East Windsor are part of historic houses. I am not sure you would be interested in that style, but I believe the town is safe.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
The whole area is basically safe. You'll find some rentals in East Windsor and in South Windsor to the south and Enfield to the north. There will be many more options if you go just a bit further south to Vernon and Manchester.

IMO, the best school district of the towns noted is South Windsor. However, if you don't have children at the moment it's a moot point when you're renting.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
In my opinion, if you need to be in a town with good schools I would look into Ellington, South Windsor or Somers. East Windsor schools are not considered good.

Though I will admit that finding a 2 bedroom from under 1200 a month may be a bit harder then finding a 1 bedroom in that range. But like the PP said, if you are only renting at this point you will find more rentals in towns like Enfield and you can worry about moving to a town with better schools once you have kids.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

So far we have

Enfield
South Windsor
Ellington
Somers
Vernon
Manchester
Windsor Locks

Are there any areas you would definitely not recommend?

Some of the towns mentioned are considered rural. We have always grown up in the suburbs. Would Enfield be the closest equivalent to a suburb?

Thank you again. I appreciate every recommendation. I will be traveling to CT tomorrow to see the area.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Windsor Locks is on the opposite side of the river. It's OK, but nothing special. Schools are mediocre. IMO no reason to have to get on the highway to cross the river.

Ellington and Somers are the most rural of the towns noted. Lots of farming still around. Enfield is very suburban with shopping mall and lots of stores. Manchester is the largest, most developed, most dense in population with an even bigger mall.

East Windsor, South Windsor, are your basic suburban towns. Vernon is an old New England mill town. It's got some really nice areas and some run down.

Good idea to visit and look around.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
East Windsor has a surprising number of lower income apartments for a town its size. They are not bad complexes but they are lower income. Enfield would be the closest to a real suburban town with shopping centers a small mall and apartments. It might be your best bet. Jay

Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks Jay!

I've been speaking with some folks from the local Synagogue in Manchester and the general consensus is that South Windsor and Ellington are the places to be.

Would you all agree?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM

90 posts, read 92,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOLDM4 View Post
Thanks Jay!

I've been speaking with some folks from the local Synagogue in Manchester and the general consensus is that South Windsor and Ellington are the places to be.

Would you all agree?

I would definately agree. I grew up in south windsor. It's a great place to raise a family. It may be tough for you to find a rental that you're looking for.

Given your budget, I would say that enfield would probably be your best bet for the time being. Once you have a family and they're ready for school, I would then go and find a place in south windsor. I like ellington a lot as well but schools are much better in south windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut