Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,220,709 times

Advertisements

It really has come a long way...
Leading the charge - NewsTimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM

34,823 posts, read 56,737,781 times
This is a good article. I think that the Danbury Mall is the best laid out mall in the state. It is easy to get around and the second floor does not have the zig zag layout of West Farms or Buckland. The mix of stores is better than West Farms but because WF has Nordstroms I would give it a leg up.

It is a shame the other malls in the state do not try and improve. The four Westfield malls (Milford, Trumbull. Meriden and Enfeild) could use an upgrade but unfortunately their owners, Westfield, cater to a lower demographic. I think those malls suffer for that. Even Buckland Hills has gone down scale since it opened. They seem to have given up upscale shopping to nearby Evergreen Walk instead. Anyway such is the retail industry these days. It seems with online shopping, malls either must cater to the top tier customer or the very bottom. There is not much in between. Jay

Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM

21,647 posts, read 27,947,096 times
It was like the Westfield malls before renovation. Macerich knows what they're doing. I've been to their malls in California too and they're just as nice.

The downside of the mall has always been what it saps from the rest if Danbury. Downtown is a very sad place now.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,114,754 times
I was in the Trumbull Mall yesterday for the first time since the last renovation-- Years.

More a nostalgia trip than a shopping trip, however, while the renovation is nice, the quality of the stores does nothing for me. Some parts are nice, others, are seedy at best.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:38 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,031,386 times
Yes, they really have cleaned that mall up over the last few years. Agree that Macerich knows how to manage a mall - their Tyson's Corner Center in northern VA is excellent.

I slightly prefer the selection of stores at Westfarms, but I am sure it's only a matter of time before some of them appear in the Danbury area too.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,621,942 times
Malls are headed the way of the dodo. These renovations are last gasps of breath.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM

21,647 posts, read 27,947,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Malls are headed the way of the dodo. These renovations are last gasps of breath.
Indoor malls are not being built anymore, that's for sure. The preference is lifestyle centers (glorified strip malls), open-air malls, downtown developments (a la Blue Back Square), and redeveloping existing urban areas into shopping destinations.

If what you're saying is true, what happens to those millions of square feet of space? What happens to the malls in this area in the longterm?

In less prosperous parts of the country, many malls are abandoned and blighted. We certainly don't want that.

Are there any examples of shut-down large indoor malls that have been re-developed or razed for other purposes?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,963,107 times
Two small indoor malls were redeveloped in Connecticut in the last 15 years or so, the Farmington Valley Mall in Simsbury and the New London Mall. They were turned inside out so storefronts face the parking lot.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 14,807,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Indoor malls are not being built anymore, that's for sure. The preference is lifestyle centers (glorified strip malls), open-air malls, downtown developments (a la Blue Back Square), and redeveloping existing urban areas into shopping destinations.

If what you're saying is true, what happens to those millions of square feet of space? What happens to the malls in this area in the longterm?

In less prosperous parts of the country, many malls are abandoned and blighted. We certainly don't want that.

Are there any examples of shut-down large indoor malls that have been re-developed or razed for other purposes?
I think whether a mall is abandoned and becomes blight or not depends on its location.

A mall like Stamfod Town Center is in such a desirable location that in the event it becomes a failure, I doubt the building will be abandoned without someone buying either the whole thing or parts of it and redevelop.

Land occupied by malls in more suburban areas may not be as lucky, for lack of a better word. The exceptions may be suburban areas with certain economic dynamism. In these cases, the land could be use for new planned communities, a hospital, a school or something else.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 PM

9,721 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I was in the Trumbull Mall yesterday for the first time since the last renovation-- Years.

More a nostalgia trip than a shopping trip, however, while the renovation is nice, the quality of the stores does nothing for me. Some parts are nice, others, are seedy at best.

I live in Trumbull and have been to the Trumbull mall I think twice in the last 36 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut