U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM

12,978 posts, read 11,823,576 times

Advertisements

What your thoughts about these counties in CT they not popular as other or talked about it alot

Windham County
Tolland County
Middleesx County
Litchfield County
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,041,366 times
Litchfield, Tolland, Windham are basically rural type areas. They're lightly developed with comparatively smaller populations in keeping with the low development. Not a lot going on there. We've had some discussions recently about Torrington, which is in Litchfield and we often discuss Windham, when people are moving to Storrs for work or school. Middlesex is where is Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Essex, Chester are located. They come up frequently.

Keep in mind that most of the people moving to the state have questions about where to live in relation to where they will be working. They are mostly going to the larger population and work centers of the state. That's heavily lower Fairfield county, followed by Hartford county. Thus, the bulk of questions and conversations are about those regions. New Haven county, much of which is commutable to Fairfield & Hartford counties, gets lumped in with those discussions.

Here's an interesting video about Windham county

The Last Green Valley, Find Your Inspiration! - YouTube

Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM

642 posts, read 804,775 times
The vistas in the video are so beautiful. Thanks for posting it.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM

2,070 posts, read 3,688,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Litchfield, Tolland, Windham are basically rural type areas. They're lightly developed with comparatively smaller populations in keeping with the low development. Not a lot going on there. We've had some discussions recently about Torrington, which is in Litchfield and we often discuss Windham, when people are moving to Storrs for work or school. Middlesex is where is Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Essex, Chester are located. They come up frequently.

Keep in mind that most of the people moving to the state have questions about where to live in relation to where they will be working. They are mostly going to the larger population and work centers of the state. That's heavily lower Fairfield county, followed by Hartford county. Thus, the bulk of questions and conversations are about those regions. New Haven county, much of which is commutable to Fairfield & Hartford counties, gets lumped in with those discussions.

Here's an interesting video about Windham county

The Last Green Valley, Find Your Inspiration! - YouTube
Please dont post anymore video links about the area where I live; we dont want folks moving over here...stay in FFC

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,023 times
I live in Litchfield County and love it. My town is small enough where I know many people and run into them everywhere, yet in a two block radius I can walk to the bank, post office, supermarket, doctor's office, bakery, barber shop, library, theatre, public parks, and numerous restaurants of various types.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 24,742,663 times
Litchfield and Middlesex are gorgeous, IMO. Chester, Essex, Old Saybrook, Kent, Litchfield, Roxbury, Woodbury, Cornwall, etc. among the most picturesque towns in the state. They're a little too isolated for me personally to live in, but I love to visit them and it's a great respite from the busier parts of the state.

I don't know why you didn't mention New London County. Some of those coastal areas are really impressive and it's another county that's lesser mentioned.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,496,835 times
My love for Litchfield County is well known - no surprise it is one of the choice destinations in the country for the wealthy set. It's quite large and there are so many vistas and diverse atmospheres to discover there. The lack of traffic (other than on Rt. 7, and even that is seasonal) is a big bonus for me as well. There aren't many developed places in the world where you can lay down in the street of such an incredibly beautiful area and not be hit by a car for an hour. Not recommending this, but it is illustrative Some decry the over-upscale-ing that occurred from the wealthy taking over the county, but nobody can deny that the money brought with it the enormous benefit of beautification. It's pretty much paradise for country home gawkers.

I agree New London County has its positives as well. Some of the residential parts of Stonington are very beautiful, and i love Harkness State Park in Waterford as well. That area is *truly* the old New England of the Sea. An era and place that seems to truly have been forgotten by many. The shipbuilding tradition of the state is truly extraordinary.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,041,366 times
OK, Tetto- giving equal opportunity to Litchfield county

Here's the Lake Waramaug area, near the New Preston area of Litchfield county. We might be a little state but we've got scenery - picture those hills in mid October.

Lake Waramaug and New Preston - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM

32,499 posts, read 51,346,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What your thoughts about these counties in CT they not popular as other or talked about it alot

Windham County
Tolland County
Middleesx County
Litchfield County
I am not sure why you say these counties are not popular. Tolland County is fast growing (for Connecticut) with some of the most up and coming towns in the state. The Town of Tolland was named Best Town in CNN/Moneys list recently and the county is also home to the ever expanding UConn.

Middlesex County is also growing and getting more affluent. Middletown is home to Wesleyan University and its downtown is becoming a center of dining and entertainment. The lower Connecticut River Valley is very charming and growing fairly well.

Litchfield County has always been a place of quiet rural affluence and is highly desirable with wealthy New Yorkers and celebrities.

Windham County is the "Quiet Corner". There are no major cities there and less going on in general. I think that you are seeing that these counties in general are not a active because they are small than Fairfield, New Haven and Hartford which have most of the state's population and employment. Jay

Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 AM

44 posts, read 51,824 times
Default Quiet is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Windham County
Tolland County
Middleesx County
Litchfield County
Tolland County is or can be a suburb to those working in Hartford. Home to UConn more or less. I suppose Mansfield/ Storrs would be Windham
Windham also has Eastern Ct college and little more.

Middlesex - center of the state bordering the winding CT River all the way down to Saybrook.
Litchfield- I suppose rural the settlers held off parting with it when the colonies expanded West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut