Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM

21,626 posts, read 27,921,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
how do you compare New England cities that have roadways that follow old cow paths to the planned grid cities of the rest of the country?
New Haven was the first planned grid in the country. The "nine square" plan of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 AM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its narrows the street or boulevard , forcing drivers to slow down. On Main thoroughfares where it is 4 lanes , the road is either reduced to 2 lanes with a center turning lane or a tree median is installed with Crosswalk extensions at every intersection. Bike Lanes are also added either separated or with traffic... On residential streets , speed humps , raised intersections and narrow points are added which makes speeding very hard. They also replace 3-way or 4-Way Intersections with roundabouts to slow down traffic.

These tactics have worked in reducing accidents and speeding in cities like Newark , New York , DC , Seattle , San Fran , Toronto. Bridgeport just started , only one or two roads have received the upgrade. Eventually every street and road will... In New Haven Most of Quinnipiac Ave has been upgraded , Front , Chapel , State , Elm , and Prospect Streets are next , Dixwell , Whalley , Whitney , Grand , Howard Aves are next.... Most Downtown Intersections and Streets will be upgraded....Yale Plans on upgrading the streets and Intersections that follow through its campus.
One feature you do not mention is narrower lanes for vehicles. This is very important for slowing down traffic. The standard lane width is 12 feet. Narrowing the lane to 11 feet, or even 10 feet in some instances gives drivers the message of not to speed through this area. Also part of it is reduced shoulder widths which can be as wide as 8 feet on non-expressway roads. Under complete streets, the shoulder is reduced to 1 or 2 feet.

When completed, Route 34 (MLK Drive and South Frontage Road) in New Haven will have complete street features. Construction on the first phase of the project has begun and should be complete next year. Jay

Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM

627 posts, read 1,055,297 times
What's funny is that the original Allstate report concentrates on the positives, listing only the safest cities, but then the news concentrates on the negatives.

Where are the Safest Driving Cities in America? The Ninth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report®" Reveals New Results - News Releases - News, Videos, Photos, Press Releases | Allstate Insurance Newsroom

Also, it's interesting that it's the top 200, and no CT city is above #150 in population. So if it was limited to top 150... we'd be great!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM

14,022 posts, read 13,842,203 times
"The city of Bridgeport has the lowest arrest rate for drunk driving of all municipal agencies in Connecticut, according to the analysis. With an average of 37 arrests for the offense over the past three years, the state’s largest city has a total arrest rate of 2.5 per 10,000 residents – about one-100th what the CDC report suggests the rate would be."

"On the opposite end of the spectrum, the small city of Naugatuck had an average arrest rate of 58.4 per 10,000 residents, the highest of all communities in Southwestern Connecticut. All told, the department made 179 arrests in 2012, according to state data. And that’s a point of pride for the department."

Trending: Where Drunk Drivers Get Busted - Trending

Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 AM

3,347 posts, read 4,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"The city of Bridgeport has the lowest arrest rate for drunk driving of all municipal agencies in Connecticut, according to the analysis. With an average of 37 arrests for the offense over the past three years, the state’s largest city has a total arrest rate of 2.5 per 10,000 residents – about one-100th what the CDC report suggests the rate would be."

"On the opposite end of the spectrum, the small city of Naugatuck had an average arrest rate of 58.4 per 10,000 residents, the highest of all communities in Southwestern Connecticut. All told, the department made 179 arrests in 2012, according to state data. And that’s a point of pride for the department."

Trending: Where Drunk Drivers Get Busted - Trending
Wilton is number two on this list, while may be the worst attempt at statistics and story I've witnessed in ages. The writer is likely guilty of impersonating a journalist. Basically they take the number of arrests in each city divided by the residents without any regard to the residency of the offender. Since Wilton has a large number of DUI checkpoints (just one last weekend) on Route 7 this skews the number. I can also verify from the police reports than most of the time, the DUI offenders are not Wilton residents but merely passing through on Route 7. Wilton is also a small town so the large arrests from the checkpoints divided by the population shows a high rate. Most SW CT towns don't have checkpoints on a major road like Route 7. Obviously they do not conduct DUI checkpoints on 95 or the Merritt, and generally avoid Route 1 as well.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,920,404 times
Cities with bad driving environments generally reflect the low intelligence levels of a lot of their residents.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,076,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Cities with bad driving environments generally reflect the low intelligence levels of a lot of their residents.
I would describe most of Fairfield County as having a bad driving environment.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,920,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I would describe most of Fairfield County as having a bad driving environment.
It's actually a lot better than where I used to live. Crowding is part of it. My earlier statement was a bit facetious, but I do think it's partially true.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,816,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It's actually a lot better than where I used to live. Crowding is part of it. My earlier statement was a bit facetious, but I do think it's partially true.
I actually have to disagree with you that "low intelligence" is the root cause of bad driving in CT cities. I feel that the biggest contributor is the DMV offering driving tests in 35 or so(i don't remember the exact #) different languages. WTF are they thinking with that????

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,076,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I actually have to disagree with you that "low intelligence" is the root cause of bad driving in CT cities. I feel that the biggest contributor is the DMV offering driving tests in 35 or so(i don't remember the exact #) different languages. WTF are they thinking with that????
They do that because all the road signs are done in 35 or so languages. No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut