Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
I feel the same way, but about the whole lobster roll concept in general. Why compromise the taste of lobster, fresh out of its carapace, with all that white bread? Different parts of a lobster have such differing textures and flavors: getting it all lumped on a buttery roll just ruins it for me.
I guess that's why I like the Seven Seas roll so much. Aside from being very fresh lobster, there seems to be more lobster than roll. And not too much butter and a lightly toasted roll. It just works really well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
That looks so good. Lenny's in Branford piles it on too. It's almost impossible to pick up the roll to eat it.

Isn't the Seven Seas the birthplace of the lobster roll?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

Isn't the Seven Seas the birthplace of the lobster roll?
Nope, that place no longer exists.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
and Rhode Island
Why should MA and RI care? They do not own the lobster industry. Since Maine lobster is considered to be the best, they could have an opinion. I agree that mayo on lobster creates lobster salad, not a lobster roll. Personally I think mayo on lobster is disgusting and hides the flavor. Butter at least compliments the taste. It is closest ot what you get when you eat lobster fresh from the steamer. Either way it create a good sandwich. Jay

Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM

173 posts, read 351,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I guess that's why I like the Seven Seas roll so much. Aside from being very fresh lobster, there seems to be more lobster than roll. And not too much butter and a lightly toasted roll. It just works really well.
Just happened to be in Milford...headed over to Seven Seas. I have to say, i'm not sure a lobster roll gets better than this. It's basically an entire lobster except the tail, piled on to a buttered bun you can hardly see beneath the pile, tenderly cooked with not a lot of butter. The fries that came with it were nothing to scoff at, either. If I want a lobster roll from here on in, this is where i'll go. Thanks, all.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Just happened to be in Milford...headed over to Seven Seas. I have to say, i'm not sure a lobster roll gets better than this. It's basically an entire lobster except the tail, piled on to a buttered bun you can hardly see beneath the pile, tenderly cooked with not a lot of butter. The fries that came with it were nothing to scoff at, either. If I want a lobster roll from here on in, this is where i'll go. Thanks, all.

Do they still have the crabs? I haven't been by there in awhile.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
There are regional differences. CT lobster rolls are served warm with melted butter. Maine lobster rolls are served cold with mayo. I personally think slathering lobster meat in mayonnaise is vile, but to each his own

Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
There's a trick to eating a hot (not warm - why are y'all saying it's WARM? It's hot, if it's done right!) lobster roll.

The *second* you get it onto your table, you have to pick the roll in its paper container up from the plate, then spread the french fries on the plate. Give the fries a light dusting with salt, and then take the lobster roll away from its paper container and place the roll directly on top of the fries.

This way - the fries soak up some of the butter, which makes them taste better, and removes some of the butter from the roll, which makes it easier to pick up. While you're waiting for the butter-fry absorption period to end, you use the little wooden fry-pick to pick at the lobster roll, pulling up at least one claw chunk, and one or two knuckle chunks, so that these are the first consumed, and never the parts that fall back onto the plate when you pick up the roll itself to eat.

Sheesh - you people have been living here how long, and haven't figured it out yet? I'm disappointed!

For professional tutoring, I recommend the Glenwood, in Hamden.
http://www.glenwooddrivein.com/

Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The *second* you get it onto your table, you have to pick the roll in its paper container up from the plate, then spread the french fries on the plate......
This way - the fries soak up some of the butter, which makes them taste better, and removes some of the butter from the roll, which makes it easier to pick up.
This is a very amusing story, AnonChick. But why not just ask for the butter "on the side"?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why should MA and RI care? They do not own the lobster industry. Since Maine lobster is considered to be the best, they could have an opinion. I agree that mayo on lobster creates lobster salad, not a lobster roll. Personally I think mayo on lobster is disgusting and hides the flavor. Butter at least compliments the taste. It is closest ot what you get when you eat lobster fresh from the steamer. Either way it create a good sandwich. Jay
you are correct noone owns the lobster industry and Maine lobsters are the best because they come from colder water than the Southern New England States. But, it is a matter of taste. To me drowning perfectly sweet lobster in butter is a sin. Light mayo compliments the taste and the cold brings out the sweetness of the lobster. Add a little malt or white vinegar and you are all set. Depending on where you go it is called Lobster roll or lobster salad roll and a the roll is a toasted hot dog roll. Making them at home I have used toasted italian rolls, bread pulled out of it, with the Helman's and malt or white vinegar mixed with celery and added lightly to the lobster. But it is all a matter of taste. There are always a large number of Ct. vehicles at the Southern Rhode Island shore clamshakes getting their share of lobster rolls and clamcakes. We agree to disagree.

btw, the best fried clams I ever had were at the original Jimmies in West Haven. Their new restaurant doesn't do the original dive justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut