Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,177 times

Advertisements

With its lush greenery and lack of large trucks, the Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkway offers a much nicer ride compared to I-95 and I-91. However, there are issues with the Parkway that drive me absolutely mad. Pun intended.

1. Around the West Rock Tunnel, why do most people slow down and/or hit their brake lights approaching (or even when inside) the tunnel? It doesn't even have to be rush hour (a la a Sunday evening at 11pm) and the handful of cars riding through the tunnel will all hit their brake lights.
  • I understand that there are cops who occasionally hang out at either side of the entrance, which causes people to slow down. But that doesn't explain the slowdowns during all of the other times.
  • This slowdown happens regardless if it's daytime or nighttime.
  • It's quite dangerous to slow down in that tunnel. I've almost been rear-ended a few times (whilst keeping distance from the car in front of me) because of these slowdowns.
2. On the Wilbur Cross portion of the highway (Milford to Meriden), why are the entrance ramps equipped with Stop signs? Especially during rush hour, it is really dangerous to merge onto the highway. I feel bad for my girlfriend who drives a tiny Hyundai Accent and has to merge onto the Wilbur Cross everyday during rush hour.
  • Some of the entrances are on a slight incline, making it even more difficult for smaller cars to accelerate safely.
  • There are always huge lines of cars waiting to merge onto the highway.
  • I understand the environmental conservationists not wanting to extend on-ramps, but I value the safety and lives of drivers over the trees lost via an 1/8th mile on-ramp extension.
I know there are opposing ideas and viewpoints on how the Merritt/Wilbur should be treated, especially with the always growing congestion. However, logically speaking, shouldn't something be done to help increase safety for drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
However, logically speaking, shouldn't something be done to help increase safety for drivers?
Yes. A lot needs to be done.

First, the on/off ramps. They have gotten better in Fairfield County, but in Orange/Woodbridge/Hamden/North Haven, they do not just have the potential to be dangerous; they ARE dangerous. I witness often two cars trying to gun it at the same time. The people traveling at 65 have to swing over last second or have to slam on their brakes. There are LOTS of rear-end collisions on 15 because of this.

Second, the trees have to go. Whenever there is a storm warning or watch, I avoid the parkway. There is always - ALWAYS - a tree down after even a mild thunderstorm. The problem here is the people who live along the parkway (who purchased their homes far after the historic highway was built) want the trees as privacy. Sorry - you chose to live near a highway - deal with it. They need to be scaled back at least 100 feet in each direction to be safe.

Third, and my biggest pet peeve, is high beams. It's awful. Drive on the Merritt after dark and you will be blinded numerous times by people who feel the need to drive the highway with their high beams on. I find this to be far worse in Fairfield County than New Haven, mostly because FFC's stretch is more faux-wooded. They need to have lights down the entire stretch of the highway in order to fix this.

Honestly, I hate the Merritt. It's a mixture of too many left lane campers, too many maniacs and too many curves. Other than that, it's a beautiful highway.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-13-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Those stop signs on the on-ramps were due to it being designed 80 years ago when cars were much, much slower. The whole parkway used to be like that, and it's been a process of modernizing. I guess because Wilbur Cross is so much less congested than the Merritt, it took a back seat while the Merritt was "modernized".

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Second, the trees have to go. Whenever there is a storm warning or watch, I avoid the parkway. There is always - ALWAYS - a tree down after even a mild thunderstorm. The problem here is the people who live along the parkway (who purchased their homes far after the historic highway was built) want the trees as privacy. Sorry - you chose to live near a highway - deal with it. They need to be scaled back at least 100 feet in each direction to be safe.
Agreed, and on that topic - what the hell were they thinking with the Trumbull/Fairfield improvements? They tore down hundreds of trees, and then planted hundreds MORE? What was the end goal?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,528 times
So much better than 95.... No trucks, idyllic scenary, windy. You sound like an old man in your description Kid!

The only tweak I would make (and would likely pass muster as a historic road) is adding merge lanes to EVERY exit from Greenwich to Wallingford. Even in FFC, Long Ridge and Den Road in Stamford still have full stops. Insane.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed, and on that topic - what the hell were they thinking with the Trumbull/Fairfield improvements? They tore down hundreds of trees, and then planted hundreds MORE? What was the end goal?
I think they planted dwarf trees that essentially top out at 15 feet or so and won't kill or seriously injure drivers if they were to topple. I could be wrong though. I love the trees, provided that the decaying/dead ones are quickly removed. It's probably prudent to avoid the Merritt during high winds, but that is the case for most of back country FFC and the state as a whole.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
So much better than 95.... No trucks, idyllic scenary, windy. You sound like an old man in your description Kid!
Hey - most old men are wise. I'll take that as a compliment!

I suppose it's an okay highway for a Sunday drive at 11 AM, but if you're commuting on it daily, there's nothing "idyllic" about it. It's an awful highway that needs modernization. BADLY.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-13-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
I'm with Kid on this one. The Merritt has become frustrating to drive, so much so that I would rather take 95 if its an option.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
hey - most old men are wise. I'll take that as a compliment!

I suppose it's an okay highway for a sunday drive at 11 am, but if you're commuting on it daily, there's nothing "idyllic" about it. It's an awful highway that needs modernization. Badly.
qft

Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'm with Kid on this one. The Merritt has become frustrating to drive, so much so that I would rather take 95 if its an option.
I actually prefer the Merritt in the morning and 95 at night.

Using that combo, I've got a pretty consistent 25-35 minute commute going on right now, even if traffic is bad in the morning I have a backroad route that saves me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut