Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

This is a purely empirical observation/experience, but I have to say, being gay in FFC is even worse than it was in Hartford County.

First, the gay population in general is about the exact same size as it is in Hartford County. Maybe 5% larger.

Second, for whatever reason, it seems much, much more challenging to get the attention of other guys or appeal to them. Now that I've been here for 3 months, I have barely met any other guys, and I feel more unattractive than ever. FFC is even more family oriented than Hartford County, because it's a challenge for singles to afford homes here. I even chatted with another guy around here, similar to myself and he said he's been having very bad luck as well. It's not just me.

Third, NYC isn't close enough to go on a date and see someone regularly. It still takes up to an hour to travel there, realistically. I'd rather go to New Haven, which IMO has a somewhat impressive gay scene.

Fourth, there is only one (or two) gay bars in FFC, both of which are very small and attract a older (age 40+ crowd). One is in Danbury, one is in Fairfield. I've never been to either of them, but that's what my friends have told me.

Truth be told, I wish I had done things differently over the past year (for those of you who know my history over the past year). Although I love my current job, I just feel like life is more difficult/challenging here, in an unwelcome way. I can't even afford a starter home in Norwalk. The gay social life for my age group is severely lacking, and one must travel to New Haven or NYC for anything substantial. Traffic is atrocious and worse than many major metropolitan areas in the nation.

I'm really trying to make the best of it, and like I said...doing well at my new job. But, if I were to go back in time at any point during my 6-month unemployment phase, I think I would have settled down in south FL. Either FTL or Palm Beach County. Or heck, for the price I pay here in rent, even Boston. IMO the prices of housing here in FFC are a total rip-off. I don't care about having NYC an hour away.

Now, it seems, due to career implications, I will be stuck here for several years. I f'd up bigtime. But still, trying to make the best of it....

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
I think this forum should start billing you by the hour.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
You are an hour from NYC by train. Certainly close enough to go in on weekends and meet other guys, if that's what you want. An hour ride should not be an obstacle for something you truly want. WHatever excuse you make is just another roadblock that you are putting up for yourself.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 AM

370 posts, read 608,712 times
Maybe gay men don't find you attractive...

Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm really trying to make the best of it, and like I said...doing well at my new job. But, if I were to go back in time at any point during my 6-month unemployment phase, I think I would have settled down in south FL. Either FTL or Palm Beach County. Or heck, for the price I pay here in rent, even Boston. IMO the prices of housing here in FFC are a total rip-off. I don't care about having NYC an hour away.

Now, it seems, due to career implications, I will be stuck here for several years. I f'd up bigtime. But still, trying to make the best of it....
You need to realize that it doesn't matter where you because you'll still be there. The problem lies within.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Fourth, there is only one (or two) gay bars in FFC, both of which are very small and attract a older (age 40+ crowd). One is in Danbury, one is in Fairfield. I've never been to either of them, but that's what my friends have told me.
You've said that you can't afford a house near your workplace, so why not hook up with a nice sugar daddy to help you out with that.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
Might I suggest:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/

//www.city-data.com/forum/personal-ads/

Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You are an hour from NYC by train. Certainly close enough to go in on weekends and meet other guys, if that's what you want. An hour ride should not be an obstacle for something you truly want. WHatever excuse you make is just another roadblock that you are putting up for yourself.
I guess. It's still not that close though. I'd rather go to New Haven. FFC feels like a dead zone of gay population between New Haven and NYC.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

173 posts, read 351,811 times
Get on Match.com, be a little flexible about location, and have fun. I think you're taking the whole dating thing too seriously, and lord knows potential dates can smell THAT a mile away. Maybe you'll be long-distance with someone for a little while, and then make a decision about whether one of you wants to move. But your attitude is definitely playing a role.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You've said that you can't afford a house near your workplace, so why not hook up with a nice sugar daddy to help you out with that.
Exactly what I was thinking, some older, rich hairy dude who would love to sink his teeth into young Nep...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut