Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times

Advertisements

Anyway, back to the original post, there is commonality amongst the northern FFC towns (Newtown, New Fairfield, Brookfield, etc.) that were/are affected: boredom first and foremost, and not poor (maybe the term not poor will suit you better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Anyway, back to the original post, there is commonality amongst the northern FFC towns (Newtown, New Fairfield, Brookfield, etc.) that were/are affected: boredom first and foremost, and not poor (maybe the term not poor will suit you better).
LOL well we can go back and forth all day long. I'm about 15 years younger than you so our opinions on this will be different because even though we live in the same region, we definitely hang in different circles.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I think there are a lot of factors, but I don't think it's necessarily worse in the suburbs. I know heroin is a problem in Stamford schools too, I have a friend whose son and friends were doing it.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Newtown did seem to be ground zero about a decade or so ago, but it was certainly not alone -- the problem radiated to surrounding towns, including Brookfield, and New Fairfield, where I live. I think the epidemic use of prescription pills among teens in the early/mid 2000s (all the different types "oxys" -- contin, codine, etc.) was the catalyst. These kids had no idea that heroin would be the natural next step in their downward spiral. They were addicts before they knew it, and heroin came cheaper. I'm slightly hopeful that the worst (for this particular drug) might be behind us though around here. Of course you still hear the horror stories, but lately, in my circle at least, the stories tend to be about 20-somethings who got hooked in the heyday who weren't able to beat it, and it finally caught them. Far fewer heroin stories with the current high schoolers though, although I'm sure there's a whole host of other things going on!
Yes another friend from Brookfield was into Oxy and wound up committing suicide. Very sad. I believe he would've been 28 now.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
I know a teacher at Amity High School in Woodbridge and she maintains that they have a huge Heroin problem.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Is this a surprise?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Is this a surprise?
It was for me not because it's in the high school, I'm sure it's probably in every high school. It is because she teaches a very high level academic class. I know that all types of students do drugs (heck I went to college and I know was happens there too) but I didn't think that heroin use in particular would allow students to keep up and function on that high of a level academically. I guess though it probably doesn't for long.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Well at 48.. I've been hearing about this a long long time so no I wasn't surprised. Grew up in Trumbull.. Very bad there.. Yes.. Classmates have passed away from their vices.. No one hangs at Stratford beach after dark for the ocean breezes.. Even read in the paper that a court clerk got busted in the parking lot of ridgefield's playhouse. Was never me.. I argued with the idiots & just said "no".. There Kids from the clubhouse in southport, Easton, Westport .. Etc etc etc. yes most grow out of their stupidity.. Some didn't.. It is stupid .. But not a surprise ..

Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I know a teacher at Amity High School in Woodbridge and she maintains that they have a huge Heroin problem.
What is huge? Are the majority of students doing it? Unlikely. 25%? Also unlikely. There likely are a couple but to say that is huge is an exageration. JMHO, Jay

Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What is huge? Are the majority of students doing it? Unlikely. 25%? Also unlikely. There likely are a couple but to say that is huge is an exageration. JMHO, Jay
That was her description not mine, so I can't elaborate further without asking her more questions. I'll have to do so next time I talk to her because I am curious as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut