Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are trying to move in CT and found a place in Highland Ridge, Waterbury.
Any idea how safe it is?

I have a job in Middlebury....and need a safe place for a family & small kid.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,615,777 times
How old is your child?

If you plan on sending them to school and won't be going private, avoid Waterbury at all costs.

I'm not a total expert on the neighborhoods and don't know anything about that place, but from the address (329 schraffts drive right by I-84), I think that is in a pretty iffy area.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,769,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
How old is your child?

If you plan on sending them to school and won't be going private, avoid Waterbury at all costs.

I'm not a total expert on the neighborhoods and don't know anything about that place, but from the address (329 schraffts drive right by I-84), I think that is in a pretty iffy area.
I'm not an expert on Waterbury neighborhoods either, but i did test drive a car at Blasius last year and i'm pretty sure i went down that road. It didn't appear to be sketchy.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,659 times
Not exactly sure where that complex is, but can check by the end of the week. I don't believe it's a bad road at all. It's busy in parts, but not threatening. Hopefully will get back to you soon.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,659 times
Quote:
How old is your child?

The elementary school in that area is fine. So is the high school. The middle schoolers in that area get shipped to the North End for some reason, but a new K-8 (Carrington, I think) is taking in plenty of neighborhood kids. Plus there are two magnets in the city.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,615,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The elementary school in that area is fine. So is the high school. The middle schoolers in that area get shipped to the North End for some reason, but a new K-8 (Carrington, I think) is taking in plenty of neighborhood kids. Plus there are two magnets in the city.
My recent recollections are anything near east main is nowhere I'd want to live with kids.. I know it's not actually off east main and is actually over the interstate from it, but still. I don't believe that's in one of the few decent neighborhoods in Waterbury. Magnets are not necessarily an option, without knowing the kids.

OP do you have a budget in mind? There might be a better fit... or have you visited the area and liked it?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,769,741 times
Quote:
My recent recollections are anything near east main is nowhere I'd want to live with kids.. I know it's not actually off east main and is actually over the interstate from it, but still.
E. Main is north of 84. Shafts(what i was thinking with a used car salesman in the passenger seat) is south of 84. From what i recall, the area was mix of commercial, retail and apartments.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM

34,678 posts, read 56,455,731 times
There is a lot of commercial and small industrial buildings in that area as well as some apartments. It is not far from Reidville Drive which is generally safe. Still these apartments appear to be right off I-84 so there likely will be some highway noise. Check it out in person to see how bad. Jay

Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,788 times
Quote:
How old is your child?

First of all thank you all to respond back so quickly. I really appreciate it.

My kid is 3yrs old, i would probably look for some pre-school.
I went there personally and it up on the hill top right off I-84. We enter the road right opposite some big Chevy Dealer. Checked out the apartment and all area seemed clean like no spray painting kind of stuff, the property manager said it is safe for families.

Lot of black people (i am sorry, but don't be offended & no hatred against anyone, but just an observation) around were giving me a look like i was some kind of alien who came to look the apartment.

Opposite to Highland Ridge was Eastwood Apartments & Eastwood Condos. The apartment looked dull, but condos were nice. We checked into leasing office but they said no condos available for next 6months.

I am not like i have to have an apartment in Highland Ridge, but seeing the urgency, i was just looking if i could move in atleast for 6months until i find a decent place.

Which other place should i look for an apartment considering safety as 1st priority & taking into consideration my office in Middlebury? Please suggest.

Thanks again everyone

Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,392,984 times
If safety was your first priority I would be interested to know your budget, because many other towns surrounding Waterbury are MUCH safer then Waterbury itself. Perhaps you could look into some of those instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut