Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times

Advertisements

Came across the following article this morning. I've definitely noticed a decrease here. My husband and I discussed this about a month or so ago when we realized our lillies and hostas actually lasted long enough for blooms this summer. I can't remember the last time we had flowers on either -- actually, with the lillies, it may have been never.
Deer herd declining in Fairfield County - NewsTimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Deers and squirrels are non existant this year. VERY strange

Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Deers and squirrels are non existant this year. VERY strange
Yes, squirrels! Now that you mention it I haven't seen many at all -- my bird feeder went virtually untouched this past winter. I wound up taking the feeder down earlier than usual this spring, not because of them but because of bears believe it or not! I haven't personally seen one yet, but apparently there has been a big uptick in their population in the New Fairfield/Sherman area. Wonder where the squirrels are....?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
The reason for the squirrel shortage is lack of acorns. As the article noted, the last two years were poor acorn years.

Deer hunters will not be happy until they kill the last deer standing, though. Then they'll have to find some other creature to kill.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The reason for the squirrel shortage is lack of acorns. As the article noted, the last two years were poor acorn years.
I hate it when someone (not you) focuses on one thing and thinks that's the reason. There were a ton of squirrels around last year and I had my worst year in the garden from them taking everything. Were the acorns abundant? There's more to it then singling out one reason.

And I think acorns happen every couple years. Not sure.

Even my neighbors this year are wondering where they are. It's the first year we remember not seeing many.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 AM

[quote=andthentherewere3;31321515]The reason for the squirrel shortage is lack of acorns. As the article noted, the last two years were poor acorn years.

Makes sense. I would also add chipmunks to this year's almost nonexistent list, and I'm sure for the very same reason. Our stone wall out back used to be overrun with them, and they would provide hours of entertainment for our dog. He's been a kind of bored dog this summer though

Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post

Makes sense. I would also add chipmunks to this year's almost nonexistent list, and I'm sure for the very same reason. Our stone wall out back used to be overrun with them, and they would provide hours of entertainment for our dog. He's been a kind of bored dog this summer though
Unfortunetly they been around this year driving my dog nuts. She's getting older now so the twists and turns and stress is not good for her. They weren't around much in the Spring thanks to some hawks taking them but now they are back.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
https://restoringnativect.wordpress....ife/squirrels/

Here's a website that explains the link between squirrels and acorns annually.

We haven't had many chipmunks this year, either. I am surrounded by oak trees, too. What squirrels we do have, have really cleaned out the bird feeders this summer.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM

I know what you mean -- our shepherd mix who made it to 2 months shy of her 15th birthday, never learned to pace herself in her later years. It didn't help that we also had a much younger one that she wanted to keep up with. She loved the hunt/chase (although she never actually caught one lol!) but she would definitely pay for it at the end of the day.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
https://restoringnativect.wordpress....ife/squirrels/

Here's a website that explains the link between squirrels and acorns annually.

We haven't had many chipmunks this year, either. I am surrounded by oak trees, too. What squirrels we do have, have really cleaned out the bird feeders this summer.
I'll check that out later. I agree there's a link but not sure if its the sole cause. I don't have many acorns around me yet they were all over the place. They ate more berries than acorns.

And the other question is, does one location differ from another regarding acorns or is it a regional thing? Meaning, if Greenwich has no acorns do they migrate to Redding where there are acorns? I wouldn't think oak trees vary city to city.

Here's my tree last fall with berries on it. They tore it up. Everyday new leaves would be on the ground. I saw maybe 10 of them at once in the tree. They made a mess on the ground

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut