Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 59,232 times

Advertisements

My personal opinion is that water is important enough that you should always have at least a little bit on hand, generator or no generator. Properly sterilized drinking water can be stored indefinitely. Generators can fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM

23 posts, read 36,116 times
Thank you all so much. Living in the city for a while now, I completely forgot that water will be contingent on power...and because my spouse owns an internet company, power will be absolutely essential. As for a vehicle, given what you all have said, I think we can feel pretty secure with a FWD.

Any other suggestions about the area, the people, culture, etc..is always appreciated. You all are fantastic...I appreciate the insights.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM

34 posts, read 59,232 times
You're probably sick of hearing about generators at this point... but if you plan to use it to keep computer equipment up and running an inverter generator is best. I've heard good things about the Honda inverters though I don't own one myself. They're a bit expensive but they'll use less fuel and produce good clean 60Hz AC power. The cheaper 3600 rpm generators produce AC which oscillates at a frequency directly related to engine speed so when the engine bogs under load the frequency of the AC also drops. This won't bother well pumps, motors, or most appliances but it can cause problems with computer equipment.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
I run my computer and stereo equipment off a UPS for this very reason. The power from the generator is not as "clean" as from CL&P. It's also nice that things keep running for the minute or so it takes for the generator to get up to power.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I run my computer and stereo equipment off a UPS for this very reason. The power from the generator is not as "clean" as from CL&P. It's also nice that things keep running for the minute or so it takes for the generator to get up to power.
Kind of getting off topic, but so true about generator power not being as "clean," or steady as regular electric. When I was running off the generator for extended periods last year and in 2011, I had to keep resetting my digital clocks -- time kept speeding up, about a half hour for every actual 8 hour period. Weird. But I guess the surges and unsteadiness that you hear when the generator is running has an effect on the appliances and equipment you're powering

Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

To me that makes the generator more than worthwhile. NEVER to have to panic again as a storm approaches.
So you mean if you have a generator you wont have to worry about making sure you have enough food and water to survive more than 3 days? Or having enough gas to get you through it? I'm sure people with generators still worry and go get water, milk, bread, & gas with the rest of us. And Don't forget, your powerlines can rip off the house starting a fire. Also don't forget.. gas stations might be out of power or out of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
so true about generator power not being as "clean," or steady as regular electric.
Yup. Hence why an air quality alert went out after the October Snowstorm. Usually we see those alerts when its 90 degree + outside but it was in the 30s and 40s. Everyone was using them (plus burning unseasoned firewood) and it was making the air unhealthy.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Yup. Hence why an air quality alert went out after the October Snowstorm. Usually we see those alerts when its 90 degree + outside but it was in the 30s and 40s. Everyone was using them (plus burning unseasoned firewood) and it was making the air unhealthy.
Actually I didn't mean clean in that sense -- I meant the flow of electricity from a generator is not as steady and uninterrupted as it is when it's sourced by the utilities. I wasn't aware of the air quality alerts that went out during the October storm though. Interesting...

Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Do some of the larger towns in Litchfield county have city water in some homes? If so, it's possible that the OP would not lose water during a power outage. We are fortunate to have city water despite living in a smallish town and at least that was one less worry. I'm just not sure about Litchfield county, though. Even with water, I never want to live in the cold and dark for a week again, so I still vote for getting a generator.

I would like to point out that with a generator you still might not be able to use a computer though, as you might lose internet service.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM

New Milford may. Parts of Torrington I'm pretty sure do too. Where I live in New Fairfield, there is no city water or sewers. Needless to say, our generator is one of my prized possessions

Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So you mean if you have a generator you wont have to worry about making sure you have enough food and water to survive more than 3 days? Or having enough gas to get you through it? I'm sure people with generators still worry and go get water, milk, bread, & gas with the rest of us. And Don't forget, your powerlines can rip off the house starting a fire. Also don't forget.. gas stations might be out of power or out of gas.
If you're running off nat gas or propane, there are no issues with gas or gas stations. I can run about 10 days on my propane supply. Longer if I shut my generator off at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut