Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes. My current job...I like a LOT!! I like my apartment, too. It's very nice. I'm also very thankful that my entire family is in good health and all four grandparents are still alive and well. There are many things that I am happy with. I just wish I didn't have to live in FFC for a long time.
Focus on the positive.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,846 times
Nep, do you think you could find a job in Hartford County right now that would allow you to live in a town on par with say a Darien or Westport... so Avon, West Hartford, Glastonbury in a decent size house with modern upgrades? It sounds like you had a tough time finding a good job before

Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Stamford to Bridgeport is only a half hour train ride. So there's no excuse. That's not a long commute. People do worse. You could easily live in that area and commute and get a fine house for $400k. But you won't, because you're incredibly negative and have zero resolve.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Nep, do you think you could find a job in Hartford County right now that would allow you to live in a town on par with say a Darien or Westport... so Avon, West Hartford, Glastonbury in a decent size house with modern upgrades? It sounds like you had a tough time finding a good job before
Well first of all, I am not interested in living in a town that's on par with Darien or Westport. I tend to prefer towns that are middle class, such as Manchester, but I wouldn't hesitate to live in West Hartford, either. The thing that's really annoying about lower FFC is that outside of Norwalk, it's like Glastonbury everywhere. To me, that's bland.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stamford to Bridgeport is only a half hour train ride. So there's no excuse. That's not a long commute. People do worse. You could easily live in that area and commute and get a fine house for $400k. But you won't, because you're incredibly negative and have zero resolve.
Yes, but add the 10 minute walk/shuttle to the train in Stamford, then probably another 10 minutes from the train station to my car, then to my home, and you're easily up to 50 minutes. I don't want to spend 1 hr and 40 mins a day commuting. I'm sorry.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Yes, but add the 10 minute walk/shuttle to the train in Stamford, then probably another 10 minutes from the train station to my car, then to my home, and you're easily up to 50 minutes. I don't want to spend 1 hr and 40 mins a day commuting. I'm sorry.
So what? That's the sacrifice you have to make to live somewhere you like and can easily afford AND have a job you like that has a positive career path and a good area for networking.

It's going to be near impossible to find EVERYTHING you want. You inability to compromise on anything is going to make you miserable for the rest of your life until you start accepting that not everything can be your idea of perfect.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
So what? That's the sacrifice you have to make to live somewhere you like and can easily afford AND have a job you like that has a positive career path and a good area for networking.

It's going to be near impossible to find EVERYTHING you want. You inability to compromise on anything is going to make you miserable for the rest of your life until you start accepting that not everything can be your idea of perfect.
Didn't I mention in an earlier post that I'm willing to transition into a worse job in the Hartford area so that I can live in a more desirable area? Of course I realize not everything's perfect. But I'm just not a fan of long commutes. Many people aren't.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Yes, thank you....you understand. If I was married to someone who made the same income as me, it would be a piece of cake affording a decent home. But I'm single. And the Hartford area has home prices that are much better for single people. In Hartford County, my household income was considered to be above the median. Now, in FFC it's below the median.

But honestly, I would feel awful leaving my job pre-maturely. I absolutely love my manager, the people I work with, and the company in general. Even so, I would still rather live in an area that I prefer, and have a worse job.
Then why didn't you stay at your old job and buy a house in Hartford?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Then why didn't you stay at your old job and buy a house in Hartford?
Because I was in a different state of mind at the time. At the time, I wanted to leave the area and leave my job, and did so. I promise myself I won't stay in FFC for more than a few years.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
Quote:
I'm jealous that you live in western Mass.
I live in Western Mass but work in CT. I do that thing you hate......50 minute commute.
And I can't wait till the New Haven - Hartford-Springfield commuter rail line starts do I can do that other thing you hate......take the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut