Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 17,497 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will likely be moving down to CT for a job in Stamford in a month or two (from western NY), and I'm curious about utility prices. I will be renting for a year or two (at least!), and it looks like I'll be paying around $1500-1700/mo for rent on a 1000 sq ft 2 BR apartment. I'd rather live in part of a house than an apartment complex, and with that kind of setup I realize I'll probably be paying all utilities.

Can someone give me an idea of what I'll be paying for the basics (heat/water/electric/etc)? I'm trying to plan a budget right now of what I'd have to spend, and then from that figure out what I'd need to make in order to live comfortably. I'm in Stamford for the weekend and have an idea now of what most things would cost, I haven't even seen any good resources online to figure out average utility costs though.

Also, as I drove around the area today, I also liked the Norwalk and Westport areas (though I'd prefer less commute), so any utility information for towns would be great too

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,961,222 times
Heating by oil or electricity is going to be very expensive. Electricity rates in CT are the highest in the nation. Oil heat is up over 20% compared to a year ago. Natural gas will be the cheapest. For Oil at least $250 a month, for electricity a combined bill will be in excess of this. Natural gas will average $125-140 a month In January and February.

Electric will be provided by United Illuminating in southwestern CT which has had several rate increases allowed by the DPUC.

If heating buy oil or gas, you still will have an electric bill of $100 a month.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 17,497 times
Thanks, skytrekker! I'd prefer staying away from oil anyways, now I just have one more reason
I guess I kind of assumed they would all be more, based on the difference in housing (2-2.5x more here than what I'm used to). Gas and Electric seem to be pretty close to Rochester's prices, only a little higher.

You've helped to fill in most of the missing information in my budget. It really is too bad I can't bring myself to commute very far, I really could save a good amount if I lived just a little north east (Fairfield to Stratford area). But working in Stamford I just can't; at least now I have an idea of what I'd need to make and I hope I can come to a fair agreement on a salary.

Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,961,222 times
I hope the information was helpful

utility costs here can be eye opening-good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut