Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Being a Waterbury native, and having been raised in Orlando, FL most of my life my father always complained about how he took a huge pay cut after he moved us down here in 1995 (he was a tool and dye man)

I work for a major grocery chain here in FL and am wondering if I would make more money if I were to take a job at Stop and Shop or Big Y. If I did relocate, most of my relatives (all father's side) reside in the Housatonic Valley in New Milford, Danbury, Brookfield, among others, so I'd have a place to stay until I could get a place

I'm currently earning $9.90 an hour in my current job, would I make more at Stop and Shop or Big Y? Can anyone tell me what the industry is like in CT? Do they have unions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Honestly, I think you'd be better off trying to get a job at Costco or maybe one of the other wholesalers. I'm not sure what Stew Leonard's pays, but they always are recognized for being a good workplace by lists. They are in Danbury, Norwalk, and Newington.

Near your relatives, there is a Costco in Brookfield, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Milford.

They tend to pay much better than the grocery stores.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Well there is a push here to eliminate cashiers. There are ever growing self checkouts. Not sure what position your looking for.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Well there is a push here to eliminate cashiers. There are ever growing self checkouts. Not sure what position your looking for.
I'm not a fan of self-checkouts myself. I used them when shopping at Smith's (Kroger) when I lived in Las Vegas and there was always a problem with them. They also say "we don't want to deal with you, check yourself out, we're sick of that"

I work in produce which is the position I'd be seeking. I just researched Stop and Shop on glassdoor.com and according to the average produce salary at Stop and Shop, I'm actually earning MORE money at my current job, the employee reviews of Stop and Shop weren't good either

Old 10-16-2013, 12:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post

Actually, the trend of self-checkout has been reversing over the past couple years. Big Y is one chain that we are familiar with here, that removed their self-checkouts.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

I'm currently earning $9.90 an hour in my current job, would I make more at Stop and Shop or Big Y? Can anyone tell me what the industry is like in CT? Do they have unions?
Big Y is non-union. Stop & Shop and ShopRite are, but it's a ridiculously weak union.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Big Y is non-union. Stop & Shop and ShopRite are, but it's a ridiculously weak union.
I thought Big Y would be union as well, good to know it's not. When I lived in Naugatuck, my family liked that one they had there. I think if I were to move back to CT, I'd have to take a job in a different industry.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Working in retail is an epic disaster. Horrible wages that are out of touch with the cost of living in CT. Don't bother.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM

I would think that retail wages are out of touch with COL just about anywhere. I was under the impression that working at Stop and Shop, Shop Rite, Big Y, etc I could earn $14+ an hour, have benefits, etc. Because so many people from New England and NY who move to FL constantly complain about how much less money they're making, how its too hot, how its "too ethnic", among countless other things, yet they refuse to move back. My father being one of them. he complained about Florida's low wages right up until his death in 2011

Research on glassdoor.com proved the opposite to be true, and a lot of grocery retail employees in CT seem to be completely miserable, whereas once again the opposite is true down here

As much as I'm missing CT sometimes, I think I'll stay in FL for the time being

Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I thought Big Y would be union as well, good to know it's not. When I lived in Naugatuck, my family liked that one they had there. I think if I were to move back to CT, I'd have to take a job in a different industry.
Yeah, they're not. I've been trying to patronize the non-union(Big Y) a little less, but the Stop & Shops in my area are horrible. I made my last visit to Stratford S&S yesterday. What a dump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut