Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Bridgeport 2 9.52%
New Haven 5 23.81%
Hartford 2 9.52%
Waterbury 2 9.52%
Norwalk 5 23.81%
Danbury 3 14.29%
Stamford 9 42.86%
Stratford 1 4.76%
Milford 10 47.62%
Fairfield 9 42.86%
Trumbull 1 4.76%
West Hartford 10 47.62%
Derby 2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times

Advertisements

That's kind of a strange list.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Taking your list on its face (and assuming you listed in order importance?), I think Danbury falls a little short of your ideal. I'll comment point-by-point based solely on my personal experience:

Cities with good jobs available - Danbury is within commuting distance of cities with many high paying jobs. Lots of Danbury residents work in cities such as Stamford, White Plains, and some even commute to NYC. Danbury itself is not known for these types of jobs though, although I'm sure some do exist
Cities with most things to do - Danbury is a small city with an adequate number of decent restaurants. But it's still quite suburban in many respects and removed from any sense of "action." Not many museums (actually I can only think of two). Shopping is great though, and you're never too far from what you want or need.
Cities with the best downtowns- see related posts on this board. There's a recent string called "will downtown Danbury ever revive" or something like that, I think. It's really a crying shame since danburys "proper" downtown has so much potential, but for whatever reason it has not been realized. Many people blame the Danbury Mall for downtown's death spiral, but I would imagine there are a lot factors behind it. It's got good bones though, and I think the whole strip has "historic" designation, so I think the aesthetics will be protected until its future is finally figured out. Until then though, there are lots of area residents waiting with baited breath for it to turn around and turn into something exciting. Stay tuned...
Cities that are good to start a family with - Lots of families in the city. The schools though are menza-menza
Cities with decent schools - see ^
Cities that are let friendly - yes, pet friendly city. Actually I would go as far as saying the whole state is, but that's just my opinion and not based on any facts
Cities with the friendliest people - very friendly people. But I'm originally from a very large city, so my opinion might be skewed. I think they're very friendly compared to where I'm from
Cities with good prices to buy - this is where Danbury ranks excellent! You do NOT need to spend $1 million to live there, nor should you
Cities with least highway traffic - By Fairfield county standards, I again I have to rate danbury excellent in this category too. But that's compared to fairfield county as a whole. Don't get me wrong, There is traffic in Danbury - a lot, and on its main thoroughfare, I-84; but it's a cakewalk compared to I-95. One thing I'm not crazy about in danbury is how 84 dissects the city entirely -- it's very segmented and if you're not familiar with back roads, you're entirely dependent on the highway.

Edit to add a post script: Fairfield without a doubt is what I think you're looking for. Traffic is the only category where it will fall short, but overall, I think it's an as close to perfect match for you...

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-17-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
I don't know how to vote on this. Your criteria is all over the board. Even if I vote more than once, how will you know which category I'm voting on? It's not one size. Hmm....

Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefromstatefarm2414 View Post
I haven't heard enough about Danbury, Waterbury, or Derby
All 3 of those cities feel pretty sleepy compared to the shoreline cities and West Hartford.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 PM

140 posts, read 259,350 times
I say either West Hartford or Fairfield, Trumbull, or Milford would be best given your criteria. All have decent schools, and are close to decent employment. As for walking and downtowns, Fairfield, Milford, or West Hartford would fit that. Traffic in Milford isn't as chaotic as Fairfield. I can't speak on West Hartford regarding traffic as I'm not fully familiar on that. All cities I mentioned are great for families, and you could find something nice with that budget in either city.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefromstatefarm2414 View Post
If u read my first one...u know the stuff. They are...

Cities with least traffic
Cities with most stuff
Cities with best downtown
Cities with most stuff walking distance
Cities with most employment available

You may vote more than once...
I hate to tell you this but anywhere with good employment opportunities is going to have traffic. Still I would recommend living in one of the very nice suburbs of one of our major cities. West Hartford and Fairfield are two great towns that come to mind. They offer a lot to do, great walkable downtowns and are near major employment centers. Jay

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
There is nothing in the OP's posts that suggest he/she is a troll. It is against the rules of this forum to challenge a poster on the open forum. If you feel for some reason that the OP is not legitimate, then please report them to the Moderators, otherwise infractions will be issued. JayCT, Moderato

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 21,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is nothing in the OP's posts that suggest he/she is a troll. It is against the rules of this forum to challenge a poster on the open forum. If you feel for some reason that the OP is not legitimate, then please report them to the Moderators, otherwise infractions will be issued. JayCT, Moderato
Is there a way to remove cities in the poll and make people only vote once?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 PM

370 posts, read 608,629 times
so Jake from State Farm has a budget of $1MM and is considering Bridgeport and Derby? Also, sounds like Jake is not employed since he is looking at cities where good jobs available....LOL, I can't believe people are taking this post seriously...

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
The way polls are set up on city data, I believe you can only vote once. OP , I'm not sure what you mean by removing cities from the poll.

You need to figure out just what it is you're trying to achieve. You're all over the place with your thoughts. You have a huge laundry list of wants- walkable downtowns, things to do, near really good jobs, low traffic but now you want to want to remove cities.

What does Derby, a little town, have to do with great employment opportunities or walkable downtowns.
What's it doing in there with Hartford, etc. ?

You might do best to realize that the big three employment areas in Connecticut are the Hartford area, New Haven area and lower Fairfield county. Because they are employment centers, you're going to find traffic,
No getting around that. You've already been given the best owns with walkable downtowns.

Do you have some pre-conceived ideas which are not being reinforced on your poll ? That's why you think people are voting more than once. The posters who have posted so far on your thread are very knowledgeable, pay attention to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut