Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times

Advertisements

^that.

Ive been noticing Police Chargers pretty much since the new ones came out. I see them mostly on the highway, for high speed pursuit Im guessing.....Just like how out in the midwest, they drive Corvettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Have any of you guys seen the Dodge Chargers that the Connecticut State Police are now using?
Yes. Where have you been? Not many though. Earlier this week i also saw a new Interceptor sedan(Ford) on the Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
They have had chargers, Taurus's, fusions, expeditions, explorers, and even some challengers for awhile now. Just need to look for the lights inside the car, basic wheel/tires, and the xxx-utz license plate. It's not that hard to pick them out if the crowd if you know what to look for and pay attention.
And the WWL plates also. Although i think those cars may be driven by people in higher command? Haven't figured that one out yet.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
I saw an unmarked VW (I think a beetle) a month or 2 ago with a couple of the other marked State Trooper cars... did a double take was I didn't think that our gov't bought foreign cars. But it had internal flashing lights around the rearview mirror, in the front grill, and a set in the rear window. Was on Route 8 NB.

As for the pacing cars - I think it's great to yank people for aggressive driving. But driving fast (~80) shouldn't be a big deal if there is light traffic and you aren't going in and out of lanes. It's honestly much worse for those jacka$$es that are driving 64 in the left lane, don't move over, then after a few miles you go to pass them on the right and they speed up to 80 just to be a jerk. The left lane isn't for driving - it's for passing!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Georgia State Patrol has been using Chargers since pretty much the first model year [of the re-launched model in 2006].

To me, the oddest patrol cruiser I've seen used were the Chevy Luminas Vermont troopers drove back in the 90s. Not so funny when they pull you over, of course...

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I recently watched a video of a BBC TV show called " Motorway Cops" where they had a cameraman in the back seat of a plain colour, unmarked BMW 4 door. The camera man was able to record the speedo of the Police car, at 155 MPH, and accelerating, to catch up to a Ferrari, that was running at 175 MPH, on the A 6 motor way. He caught the guy. The narrator said that the BMW was " some what modified " . I should think so. The Police driver is specially trained, and can drive at speeds approaching 190 MPH.

The interesting thing was that the Police car had a combination of a dash board video camera, that was hooked into a speed calculator computer, that gave both the speed of the target vehicle, AND the speed of the Police car, at the same time, and recorded it for future court room evidence. The Police car also had a NPCC, which is a number plate comparison computer system, that automatically reads and records the plates of cars ahead or BEHIND the patrol car, then compares the plate to the British national registry data base. This data base tells the on board computer IF the car is insured, IF it is wanted by Police, IF the owner is wanted by Police, and what their previous criminal history is. All in about 30 seconds, in real time. If the car comes back as a "stop on sight " the whole computer screen goes red, along with a audible warning sound.

The car also had a interesting rear facing electric sign, that comes up out of the trunk, when they are stopped on the side of the road. It has VERY bright LED lights and a scrolling sign board that the cops can use to put up a message to passing motorists, to warn of trouble ahead.

Obviously the British Government has invested in new technology, in a big way, for their highway patrol service.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I heard years ago that Ct. had unmarked black Chargers on the roads, so I don't think this is anything too new.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
They have had chargers, Taurus's, fusions, expeditions, explorers, and even some challengers for awhile now. Just need to look for the lights inside the car, basic wheel/tires, and the xxx-utz license plate. It's not that hard to pick them out if the crowd if you know what to look for and pay attention.
Great call about the license plates - you're right, I see UTZ all the time and it's mostly on Cop Cars.

Also, in the last 5 years, I have seen plenty of the Dodge Chargers, Fusions, Explorers, etc. However, per toddb's post, I'm surprised to hear about them using a foreign car (and a low-end car at that). Maybe it was temporary being used for a sting or something...

Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM

101 posts, read 111,790 times
20/20 did a great story a couple weeks back on cops and how they seem to have no problem driving well over the speed limit without valid reason, but also have no problem pulling people over and giving them tickets for it. Some idiot cop in Milford killed 2 kids a little while back, I think he was doing something like 65 in a 40 without his lights on and plowed right into the kid turning left at a light. Killed the kids. Who police's the police?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM

242 posts, read 350,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I saw an unmarked VW (I think a beetle) a month or 2 ago with a couple of the other marked State Trooper cars... did a double take was I didn't think that our gov't bought foreign cars. But it had internal flashing lights around the rearview mirror, in the front grill, and a set in the rear window. Was on Route 8 NB.

As for the pacing cars - I think it's great to yank people for aggressive driving. But driving fast (~80) shouldn't be a big deal if there is light traffic and you aren't going in and out of lanes. It's honestly much worse for those jacka$$es that are driving 64 in the left lane, don't move over, then after a few miles you go to pass them on the right and they speed up to 80 just to be a jerk. The left lane isn't for driving - it's for passing!
Agreed. Wouldn't it be nice if they could ticket those yahoos for passive-aggressive driving?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose-boy View Post
20/20 did a great story a couple weeks back on cops and how they seem to have no problem driving well over the speed limit without valid reason, but also have no problem pulling people over and giving them tickets for it. Some idiot cop in Milford killed 2 kids a little while back, I think he was doing something like 65 in a 40 without his lights on and plowed right into the kid turning left at a light. Killed the kids. Who police's the police?
He was going like 90. He got fired and is in jail now. While there is no excuse for the cops, the kids were drunk and stoned. Bad all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut