Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM

679 posts, read 1,189,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Suggests to me that you're not interested in my opinion.

Are you here to incite, or are you here for rational discussion?
I'd like to hear you out, but it's up to you whether you share or not. No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I live nearby and take offense that people from outside the area feel it appropriate to tell Newtown how to proceed. Sit back and shut up. You're oblivious and intrusive!
This would be a perfectly accurate statement if Newtown was spending its own money on the project.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
This would be a perfectly accurate statement if Newtown was spending its own money on the project.
Again, blame Hartford, not Newtown.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Again, blame Hartford, not Newtown.
Yes, but Newtown had a referendum and voted to accept the money. They were not mandated to take it.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Here are some pics I took flying over it yesterday. Looks like they have demolished quite a bit in just the past few days

Attached Thumbnails
Sandy Hook School Demolition-newtown3.jpg  

Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Nice birds-eye view. Pretty weird seeing the playground off to the side like that.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have a professional degree and extensive personal experience, both of which make me very qualified when it comes to the subject of Aspergers. The perpetrator of this crime, from what is known about him, most likely did fit the criteria for Aspergers. He was allowed to withdraw into a world that he could manage and control - that of violent videogaming. He developed the odd and dangerous idea that mass killings was a real life equivalent of violent video games. He got the idea that he should get his name to the top of that list (which is why I never write his name), by killing the most people in a mass shooting. So he chose the softest target he could think of, the nearby elementary school. If his mother had not trained him in the use of assault weapons, and provided them to him, this wouldn't have happened. Had he not been allowed to withdraw from the world into a virtual world, this might not have happened. Had he been intensively trained early on in social skills, he might have been able to develop connections to other human beings, that would have helped him to feel empathy with other human beings, so that he would not slaughter children. Our state, unlike others, does not provide free wrap-around services for children with autistic spectrum disorders that severely affect their psychosocial functioning. Had these been available to the mother of the perpetrator, and had she taken advantage of them to help her with socializing her son, perhaps this mass murder would have been averted. Were the funds available to help people with their children with mental illness or autistic spectrum disorders with behavioral problems, the next teen or young adult shooter might not wind up committing mass murder.
1. A professional Degree in what exactly?

2. What kind of personal experience , see I have Aspergers and am well rooted within the community so don't bull**** me please.

3. We really don't know much other than hearsay , nothing official has been said due to the very strict HIPAA laws.

4. Half of Teenage America is guilty of slipping into a world of Video games and loosing large chunks of time...same with adults 18-30...its normal these days...if it isn't that its facebook or the internet.

5. I hate to break it to you , but people with Aspergers Syndrome can tell the difference between Reality and Fantasy....people with Scheronzphia and other similar disorders cannot.

6. Again most of the World withdrawals into the Virtual world each day for hours...its probably why no one noticed.

7. I wasn't trained in Social skills , most people Aspergers aren't "trained" , they develop them like the rest of Society. Usually by reading other people's social cues....or friends or family. Again as you go down this list it sounds more like Shcronzphia then Aspergers or something related. If you actually spent time with people with Aspergers you would know that were Empathic , just with a slight delay...

8. I doubt services would have prevented this incident , some people opt to not even use them or go the controversial bio-med route which often makes things worse. But very few "Aspies" need Early intervention , its rarely DX before middle school....and even than its usually just a few years and thats it depending on the person where as Shcronzphia is a lifetime of pills and doctors. If you have insurance then theres no real road blocks preventing you from seeking help... Its not really a funding issue...there is help out there....

It still sounds like your just reading into the many stereotypes of Autistic people and never have spent time with one....

Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Were Virginia Tech and Columbine High School torn down? No. If Newtown were paying for it, i wouldn't care less about what they decided, but seeing as they're not paying for it, i have a right to express my dissatisfaction with their choice.
It's not the only mass shooting site being torn down either.

Fort Hood Demolition
Thu November 7, 2013
CNN Staff

Quote:
The deployment processing center where the shootings happened had been fenced off as a crime scene, but now that Hasan has been convicted, it will be torn down, said Brian Dosa, the post's public works director. The post has not said when the demolition will begin.
There's probably reasons behind the demolition that has to do with the investigation. I don't know.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
It's not the only mass shooting site being torn down either.

Fort Hood Demolition
Thu November 7, 2013
CNN Staff

There's probably reasons behind the demolition that has to do with the investigation. I don't know.
I guess this is the new trend then.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
I guess this is the new trend then.
I find the usage of the word "trend" to be a little offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut