Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM

35 posts, read 73,563 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We just bought a house in Stamford and are moving in on Saturday. I freelance in television and where I work changes, but I'm starting a new year long contract in two weeks and will be in an office two avenues west of Penn Station. Our house is about 4 miles from the Metro North. Just from online research, it seems reasonable to think I can do door to door in about 1.5 hours each way.

I've known that would be about my commute time, but I'm nervous about it since we're moving from Astoria, Queens and I'm used to about 40 mins or less. Due to the nature of my work my hours can be long and unpredicatable (I'm expecting 10 hour days at the new job). Does anyone else do a similar commute and have any insight on the toll it might take?

Lastly, does anyone know if the New Haven Line has wifi on it? If not, I'll probably invest in a mifi as that could help me control my hours a lot. Appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
No wifi.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM

363 posts, read 635,284 times
Hope you like taking naps. It's a long day but if you manage to catch a nap both ways it's not too overwhelming. The only bad bad is the fact that metro-north absolutely sucks for train service. The older trains seats are cacked with dirt, break down daily and if you do manage to complete a trip with no break downs it's a gaurantee that you will arrive at your destination between 10-30 minutes late.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Someone please tell me this is a dramatic exaggeration

Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,214 times
After looking up the commute on Google Maps, an express train from Grand Central to Stamford is between 45-50 minutes during peak hours - obviously express trains to the City in the morning will be the same. I imagine you'd be driving to the Stamford station so take that short time driving home or to the tracks into account. A bus to/from Penn Station to/from Grand Central is about 10 minutes. So door to door, you are correct - about 90 minutes or even less if you are a fast commuter. Metro North has had its recent breakdowns/problems, but on average, the transportation is pretty reliable and on time, give or take a few minutes. But if the New Haven line isn't upgraded soon, expect more problems to arise in the future, unfortunately. On the bright side, they have been slowly but surely adding a new fleet of cars on the New Haven line which are much nicer and cleaner than the older cars. The new cars are known as M8, the older cars being M2 (1973)/M4 (1988)/M6 (1994). Expect them to be very crowded though, and when you're getting on at Stamford, you'll be lucky to find a seat.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
There is so much misinformation here I needed to chime in. I ride Metro North out of Cannondale or South Norwalk four days a week. I wont sugar coat it, service has sucked since July when the right of way repairs in the Bronx began. Even with the schedule "adjustments", e.g. slower trips, my evening return trip is consistently late by 7 minutes. 12 if you factor in the 5 minute bump out from the repairs that have been baked in to every NY bound trip.

The con Ed meltdown blew chunks, two weeks of misery. Sandy knocked out service for three days (pretty impressive actually).

Notwithstanding the above exceptions, Metro North has been impeccable otherwise. The Bronx work won't last forever and soon Stamford express trains will be back to 42 minutes. The new m8 and diesels are your best bet for reliable and clean cars. I'm actually a huge FAn of the diesels- , uber reliable and always blowing hot or cold air correctly in the season. The diesel trains will also have seats even for those getting on in even in Stamford.

The only correct statement from FILF post is that there is no WiFi.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM

363 posts, read 635,284 times
Funny I didn't even touch on the subject of wifi. I usually walk in my door at 4:20. The past two nights I got home at 4:50. Past couple weeks have been nothing but break downs, switching problems, etc. I guess we share different views but I stand by statement that the service is horrible and the older trains need someone to go through them with a power sprayer and gallons of bleach. Hey look at the bright side your immune system will be that much stronger after riding the stainless steel limo for a period of time.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,214 times
Disregard my comment if you wish - it's simply my experience and some trivial facts. My experience can neither be right or wrong, it's just what I noticed, remembered and concluded. Obviously everybody will have different experiences, and it's a fact there are many issues with the New Haven Branch, as I've stated. Hope this cleared up any confusion.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
The past 6 months I expect delays. Hopefully it gets better. Normally you can expect trains to be 3-5 minutes late on occasion, but the delays lately have been more serious.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. It is going to be what it is going to be. Not much I can do about it now. It is nice to hear that the express trains will eventually be faster. Tubeworm - when you say I'll be lucky to get a seat at Stamford do you only mean on the new cars or will I have an issue getting a seat period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut