Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM

21,499 posts, read 27,747,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I don't consider the location of the Hartford near Asylum & Cogswell to be unsafe from a crime standpoint (car traffic aside). And that approach into downtown is by far the least sketchy of the options. If the OP wishes to bike in to work in the summer from West Hartford, it's fairly straightforward down Asylum.
Going from the Hartford to downtown by bike at night is just asking for trouble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM

5,993 posts, read 4,967,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Going from the Hartford to downtown by bike at night is just asking for trouble...
I would agree...I assumed it would be summer commuting hours (daylight) and going to/from West Hartford. Per Parentologist, it's not something I would do either from a traffic standpoint, but I don't think it's unsafe either as others do it. Asylum is by far the least sketchy of the routes into downtown (vs. Albany, Farmington, Capitol, Park).

Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM

34,644 posts, read 56,419,084 times
I am sorry but unfortunately the areas within your circle are not rural in character. They are urban and mature semi-dense suburban. You will have to choose, either move further out for the rural feel you want and forget biking to work or accept a more dense location. Also I would not consider living east of the Connecticut River. There are bike ramps on several of the bridges but I think they would make your commute a lot longer

The problem with New Britain is that it is an old mill city that has seen better days. There is a lot of crime there and the schools really struggle. It is not a place that most middle class families want to live so home prices are low. I would also eliminate Bloomfield and Windsor. Both of these towns have schools that struggle.

Inside your circle, I would again recommend West Hartford. There are lots of parks and things to do. You could bike to work relatively easily and the schools are excellent. I would also consider Newington and Wetherfield to the south.

Outside the circle, I would recommend Simsbury. It is a great semi-rural town with a lot for families including excellent schools and several wonderful trails. It is in the beautiful Farmington River Valley which is located west of a line of small mountains and hills so it helps give the area a sort of shangra-la feel to to it. There is express bus service that will take you to The Hartford (check schedule though). Jay

Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,762,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

New Britain is a slum town.
That might be a little harsh. After all, if it's a slum town, wouldn't that make you a s****o*d?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,718,618 times
But we ARE slumlords! We're the best slumlords anyone could ask for. We buy run down multifamily properties as cheaply as possible, fix them up to above code, especially above fire code, then rent them out to families that need safe housing, at market rates, including Section 8 tenants. All our tenants have our cell phone number, and when there's a problem, my husband repairs it that day or the next. That doesn't change the fact that large areas of New Britain are slums - densely packed ancient multifamily tenement houses filled with people on welfare, in all its forms, bringing with them all the woes that come along with that - drugs, shootings, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 19,291 times
Thanks everyone, really helpful information. I think we'll focus most on West Hartford and Simsbury, followed by Wethersfield and Newington. Much appreciated!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,207,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That is not downtown. You're quite a ways from downtown, and have to traverse some nasty areas to get to downtown from there.
The bad areas are actually to the north of The Hartford's campus on Asylum Hill. South of The Hartford is Aetna. West of The Hartford is St. Francis Hospital and west of that is the nice Hartford residential area. There are a couple of dicey blocks between St. Francis and The Hartford but nothing like the truly rundown areas to the north. South of Aetna, past the highway, it gets dicey again.

To the east of The Hartford campus is the slope (hence the name Asylum Hill) leading downtown, followed by the train station and then the downtown area proper. It is not dicey nor nasty to walk from The Hartford to downtown, just be aware of the traffic.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM

550 posts, read 981,034 times
I live in the Hartford area and you are not going to be able to bike from Simsbury to Hartford or get public transportation there easily. Biking from Simsbury to Hartford would take more than 2 hours. West Hartford is probably the best bet. There are areas in New Britain that aren't bad. There is a hospital and a huge park that is bikeable and walk able. Soon they will have a busway from New Britain/Hartford with busses that will come every 6 minutes or so.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,718,618 times
Some of the best advice that we ignored when we moved to a new area for work: rent first. That way you can get a better idea of where you'd be happy buying.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM

4,478 posts, read 6,731,745 times
I would look into Windsor Center. The area is starting to attract young families and there are many nice homes available in that price range. West Hartford is a nice community but it is starting to become too pricy in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut