Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,207,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholyhandgrenade View Post
Thanks for the advice. Are there any parts of those cities that have a higher concentration of young families? What about south? Are Newington and Wethersfield more spread out than west Hartford, or are they pretty similar?
They are similar, if not quite as affluent as West Hartford. Both Wethersfield and Newington are highly suburbanized. Farmington has some areas that "feel" rural -- and about the same distance to Hartford. It's more expensive however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,716,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
West Hartford, Farmington, Newington, Berlin. Certain parts of New Britain are also safe. 250K can get you a nice home in New Britain. 250K in the other towns you might be looking at something smaller or something that needs updating.
Not New Britain, if you want good schools for your children.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholyhandgrenade View Post
Thanks for all the info. What parts of New Britain would be ok? Also, does anyone have any advice on finding a good realtor, or any recommendations? Preferably someone familiar with West Hartford/Simsbury/Newington. Those are looking like our top choices right now. Thanks!

Marsha Komarow - she knows Simsbury and West Hartford very, very well, having lived in both towns and done real estate in both towns for many years. She's with Prudential, 860-658-4481

Marsha Komarow - Real Estate Agent in West Hartford, CT - Find a REALTOR(R) - Realtor.comĀ®

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM

39 posts, read 78,718 times
Check out Rocky Hill but forget New Britain.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,002,670 times
To the OP. You may be able to find a fairly decent starter home in West Hartford for $200,000 but will be hard pressed to find any home priced in that range in Simsbury.

I'm originally from Simsbury and can vouch for the schools. Among the best in the country. West Hartford also has excellent schools as well. I lived in both towns for roughly 16 years each and both will offer a quality of life that should please you. Yes, Simsbury is more rural and has easy access to some good hiking areas such as the McLean Game Refuge. West Hartford has the reservior area on the west side for hiking. West Hartford has more shopping and especially chain stores and restaurants than Simsbury which shares a small piece of Route 44 with adjacent towns of Canton and Avon. Ample shopping and eateries along there. Downtown Simsbury and Route 10 aka Hopmeadow Street still has a lot of independently owned stores and restaurants and services along much of the length of the road from Avon to Granby.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
I would recommend Amy Berkquist who posts here on occasion. She helped me a few years back with some real estate questions and is very knowledgable about the Hartford/West Hartford area. IT might be hard to find someone who knows West Hartford, Simsbury and Newington. West Hartford is next to Newington so that should not be a problem but Simsbury is a bit removed from them so you might not be able to find an agent who knows all three towns. Jay

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but there are homes in your price range in Simsbury and Weatogue, which is the southeastern corner of Simsbury. I would say that homes in Simsbury are a little less expensive than equivalent homes in West Hartford, not more expensive.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but there are homes in your price range in Simsbury and Weatogue, which is the southeastern corner of Simsbury. I would say that homes in Simsbury are a little less expensive than equivalent homes in West Hartford, not more expensive.
I agree. I am always surprised at how affordable the homes in Simsbury are considering how desirable a town it is. Jay

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,002,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Prices may have dropped then. The last time I checked (two years ago) the median price for a house in Simsbury was about $500,00 (not current sales but overall value of entire single or multi family housing stock) while in West Hartford it was around $350,000. Current sales prices may be higher in West Hartford though may not reflect the overall average or median price value of housing in either town.

If there are homes available in Simsbury for less than $200,000 it would indicate that prices have dropped. That used to be about the starting price for a entry level home and one that would need a lot of work.

Larger lots in Simsbury (many houses have an acre plus lot) help keep the prices higher than many towns.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I am always surprised at how affordable the homes in Simsbury are considering how desirable a town it is. Jay
It is a wonderful town, from what I see and from what my friends who live there say. Schools are great. I think it commands lower prices because of how far it is from any highways, making it a longer commute. Not a place where one would find much diversity, though. Nor does it have denser, older neighborhoods with sidewalks, and a big, walkable town center. But if what you want is quiet tree-lined streets in a suburban bedroom community with great schools, and can manage the commute from there (by car), Simsbury is a great choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut