Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

625 posts, read 2,038,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would recommend Amy Berkquist who posts here on occasion. She helped me a few years back with some real estate questions and is very knowledgable about the Hartford/West Hartford area. IT might be hard to find someone who knows West Hartford, Simsbury and Newington. West Hartford is next to Newington so that should not be a problem but Simsbury is a bit removed from them so you might not be able to find an agent who knows all three towns. Jay
Jay, thanks for the mention. I'm happy to help when I can.

As an aside, most agents that work with buyers work in a variety of towns, simply because most folks these days don't limit their search to one town. I live in Hartford and my office is based out of West Hartford, but am actively showing houses in about 10 different towns in Greater Hartford now, on both sides of the river, simply because of the diversity of my buyer client base. The towns mentioned above are all towns I work in, as well as other bordering towns to those.

No matter who a person decides to work with as a buyer agent, I would recommend that anyone interview a few agents to get a feel for personalities, understand how much business the agent does (and the split between their buyer and seller representation), and follow up with some recent clients of the agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,904,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Prices may have dropped then. The last time I checked (two years ago) the median price for a house in Simsbury was about $500,00 (not current sales but overall value of entire single or multi family housing stock) while in West Hartford it was around $350,000. Current sales prices may be higher in West Hartford though may not reflect the overall average or median price value of housing in either town.

If there are homes available in Simsbury for less than $200,000 it would indicate that prices have dropped. That used to be about the starting price for a entry level home and one that would need a lot of work.

Larger lots in Simsbury (many houses have an acre plus lot) help keep the prices higher than many towns.
However, Simsbury has a good amount of older ranch homes built in the 1950s and 60s that are still well maintained. A quick lookup on Trulia has 23 homes in Simsbury for 250,000 or less.

West Hartford has been an affluent town for as long as I can remember, and I grew up in the Hartford area. However, the same criteria on Trulia of a single family home for 250,000 or less got me 79 homes in West Hartford.

Given that WH has 63,000 or so and Simsbury maybe 23,000, those numbers seem about right. Most likely, the homes in Simsbury will have bigger lots and more likely to be oil heat and well/septic. West Hartford will have more convenience, an easier drive in Hartford and the homes will more likely be natural gas heat, and public water & sewers. In West Hartford, too, the western side of town that sends kids to Hall High School is generally considered more desirable.

I'm guessing in both towns, once you drop below as certain price point, you're looking at something on a very busy road and/or a fixer-upper.

Last edited by NewJeffCT; 11-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: more

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,697,055 times
Conard is good, too. Both schools routinely get listed in "best high schools" in CT or the US. More Jewish families choose Hall, because historically Hall was largely Jewish - now it's much more mixed, with a lot of Asian immigrant families, in addition to all other races and creeds. The line which divides the zone is diagonal, has been for over twenty years, running northwest to southeast, to try to balance the demographics. I suspect that for the 250K, you'd get a little more house in Simsbury. And there's a lot to be said for sewers and gas heat. The water is excellent reservoir water in West Hartford. You'd be able to buy a 3 BR 2 bath 1500 sq ft house in Conard in West Hartford, maybe even in Hall. But for someone working on Asylum in Hartford, WH makes the most sense.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,702 times
Glastonbury is a very nice community east of the river, has many working fruit orchards (apples blueberries, peaches etc.) and is scenicly beautiful with the CT river flowing through town from north to south. The town is doing a great job of developing the town center, the riverfront as well as preserving open space. You can find a starter home for 250,000. I have a friend who bikes to work in Farmington if you'd like to talk to him, message me privately and I'll give you his name and number. There has been some activity recently about developing a bike route across the Putnam (Rt 3) bridge and there is also a historic ferry to cross the river from spring through Oct.

For Glastonbury real estate help email me at Chris.Balfanz@Raveis.com, licensed Glastonbury realtor since 1992.

Last edited by ChrisBalfanz; 11-27-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,573 times
If you are looking at a safe bike ride, my advice is shorter is better. you might have heard of the 'Farmington Valley rail trail'. It has several tracks though the towns Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Canton ans father north. I can send you a detailed map if you'd like.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 AM

6 posts, read 9,326 times
Bike to work...? That my not be possible in this area of CT but here are a list of rural (some suburban) cities in the radius:

West Hartford
Glastonbury
Bloomfield
Newington
Avon
Farmington
Manchester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut