Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times

Advertisements

Powder Ridge opening delayed again They have the nerve to charge people nearly 30 bucks to HIKE up the mountain. No lifts running. Why not find a golf course hill. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Excellent way to put it. There does seem to be a classic feel about it and just wait a few more days. At this pace Ski resorts will be doing just fine in the East..
So far so good. But 20-40" snowpack? How much man made can they make? I guess they dont want it melting? That's more than some spots out west. I don't think you need over 2 feet to ski. No? I guess the more the better

Here's a nice list of just CT alone with times and prices with link. Maybe someone else has news for other areas.

Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home | WXedge.com | Ski Resorts Across Connecticut

46 Great Hollow Road in Cornwall.
packed powdered surface.

99 Powder Hill Rd in Middlefield.
Trails Open 3
Terrain Parks 1
Lifts Open 3
With a packed powdered surface.

785 Washington Rd in Woodbury.
Trails Open 12
Lifts Open 5
With machine made snow at depths ranging from 20”-40”.

126 Ratlum Rd in New Hartford.
Trails Open 15
Lifts Open 5
Terrain Parks Open 2
With a packed powdered surface with depths ranging from 40” to 60”

Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So far so good. But 20-40" snowpack? How much man made can they make? I guess they dont want it melting? That's more than some spots out west. I don't think you need over 2 feet to ski. No? I guess the more the better

Here's a nice list of just CT alone with times and prices with link. Maybe someone else has news for other areas.

Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home | WXedge.com | Ski Resorts Across Connecticut

46 Great Hollow Road in Cornwall.
packed powdered surface.

99 Powder Hill Rd in Middlefield.
Trails Open 3
Terrain Parks 1
Lifts Open 3
With a packed powdered surface.

785 Washington Rd in Woodbury.
Trails Open 12
Lifts Open 5
With machine made snow at depths ranging from 20”-40”.

126 Ratlum Rd in New Hartford.
Trails Open 15
Lifts Open 5
Terrain Parks Open 2
With a packed powdered surface with depths ranging from 40” to 60”
No you don't need that much base to ski on. They build up the base to survive thaws in this relatively warm climate for ski area's.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
No you don't need that much base to ski on. They build up the base to survive thaws in this relatively warm climate for ski area's.
Funny we're talking about 20-40 inches as it's a lot. Check out what I came across..

Over 15 feet of snow at Steamboat, CO so far. Do you guys think that will happen in CT one day? LOL!!

http://www.steamboat.com/the-mountai...ain-stats.aspx

Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Funny we're talking about 20-40 inches as it's a lot. Check out what I came across..

Over 15 feet of snow at Steamboat, CO so far. Do you guys think that will happen in CT one day? LOL!!

Steamboat Ski Resort Stats & Facts | Discover Steamboat Springs, Colorado's Ski Town, U.S.A. ®
Yeah, I don't think so. Average snowfall at wolf creek colororado at the BASE elevation is 435 inches.

WOLF CREEK PASS 1 E, COLORADO - Climate Summary

There's a reason eastern skiing can't hold a candle to the west.

Compare that to the highest snowfall totals in Vermont(don't pay attention to what the ski area's in vt claim....it's marketing) at mount mansfield MOUNT MANSFIELD, VERMONT - Climate Summary. That measurement is taken near the summit. Mid elevation totals at ski area's in the area would be under 200 inches average.

The snowiest ski area in the u.s. is mount baker which averages an astonishing 692 inches a year with a record snow one year of over 1100 inches.

Alta, utah known for it's super dry powder averages 515 inches at it's base ALTA, UTAH - Climate Summary

oh and cam, I wouldn't be surprised if ct area's exaggerate their base a little! The base is basically ice hardpack so you'd have to drill it to tell exactly how much. lol I honestly don't know though for sure if their telling the truth about that or exaggerating.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yeah, I don't think so. Average snowfall at wolf creek colororado at the BASE elevation is 435 inches.

There's a reason eastern skiing can't hold a candle to the west.

lol. What's funny is my brother in-law and I are waiting for a good time to go but it's funny this year either our schedules don't let it happen, or it ends up spiking warm temps with melting. Meanwhile I heard some folks say they want to wait until its in the 30s not teens or 20s. East coasties are wimps compared to skiers in the West. they will ski with below zero temps out there. LOL

It's tough to ski in the East because we have constant ups and downs with temps its crazy trying to pick the right moment with a busy schedule.

Nice stats btw

Check out Mt Mansfield at 4300'. They are below normal right now with their totals.. Average annual is 333 inches.
The University of Vermont: SKIVT-L: Ski Vermont Discussion List: Vermont Skiing Rules : Vermont Video Archive

Attached Thumbnails
CT Ski Industry Future-snow35.jpg  

Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
lol. What's funny is my brother in-law and I are waiting for a good time to go but it's funny this year either our schedules don't let it happen, or it ends up spiking warm temps with melting. Meanwhile I heard some folks say they want to wait until its in the 30s not teens or 20s. East coasties are wimps compared to skiers in the West. they will ski with below zero temps out there. LOL

It's tough to ski in the East because we have constant ups and downs with temps its crazy trying to pick the right moment with a busy schedule.

Nice stats btw

Check out Mt Mansfield at 4300'. They are below normal right now with their totals.. Average annual is 333 inches.
The University of Vermont: SKIVT-L: Ski Vermont Discussion List: Vermont Skiing Rules : Vermont Video Archive
It does NOT average 330 inches.
Cam...that's what STOWE SKI AREA claims!(the footnote for that statistic is the ski area's website!) They do not have data/official nws stations backing that up.

This is from the western regional climate center's website MOUNT MANSFIELD, VERMONT - Climate Summary

Mount masnfield averages 222 inches.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks for correction! Still nice to see a spot with hundreds as the average in the east. But like you said, you don't need a lot to ski.

Any update on CT now after the meltdown? I bet they close for a week now. Bad for business these warmups

Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for correction! Still nice to see a spot with hundreds as the average in the east. But like you said, you don't need a lot to ski.

Any update on CT now after the meltdown? I bet they close for a week now. Bad for business these warmups
I meant you don't need feet and feet of hardpack base, except to deal with thaws.
Yeah, but you NEED a lot of snow for great/good conditions! Ie Skiing FEET of powder vs skiing hardpack on the eastcoast. Nothing like fresh snowfall.

No, they should survive this without having to close. That's why they built up the base. Now powder ridge is another story. They never built up a deep base like sundown/mohawk/southington.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Oh and the snowiest ski area on the east coast is actually snow ridge on the tug hill plateau. They average 250 inches a year! Talk about sharp cut offs on average snowfall, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut