Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 PM

265 posts, read 485,187 times

Advertisements

We visited earlier in the year and love the Newtown area, however, I'm looking at jobs at UCHC and it looks like the commute there from Newtown would be awful (>1hr). Am I wrong in thinking this?? We started to look at other options online and fell into Glastonbury. It looks like Glastonbury would be a good fit for our family (reasonable housing prices, good high school, open space, proximity to shopping). It looks like the commute from Glastonbury to Farmington would be better than from Newtown. Any advice/suggestions?

Most of the threads I've come across are comparing Glastonbury to Avon or other towns on that side. I'd be interested in hearing any comparisons between the Newtown area and Glastonbury. Our main factor is finding a good high school for our son--we are not likely to find something that meets what we currently have, but we hope that we could find a school that is accommodating, nonetheless. Any experience with gifted kids at Glastonbury high school would be welcome; our son would start taking AP classes next year as a freshman if we were to stay at our current location--we would like to find a school that is willing to honor his placements, if possible.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I've been looking through old threads and haven't quite found the answers I am looking for, so pardon if they have been addressed in a previous note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,013,358 times
Newtown to Farmington would most likely be an hour commute on the typical day, depending on the part of town... for perspective, it takes me a solid 35-40 minutes to drive from Middlebury, which is about 12 miles east of Newtown, to Farmington during rush hour.

Glastonbury to Farmington is a bit of an awkward commute but would likely be less challenging. I can't speak for the schools in Gbury though.

I prefer the western part of the state, and choose to live here, but the eastbound commute on 84 is terrible.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 PM

5,946 posts, read 4,942,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
We visited earlier in the year and love the Newtown area, however, I'm looking at jobs at UCHC and it looks like the commute there from Newtown would be awful (>1hr). Am I wrong in thinking this?? We started to look at other options online and fell into Glastonbury. It looks like Glastonbury would be a good fit for our family (reasonable housing prices, good high school, open space, proximity to shopping). It looks like the commute from Glastonbury to Farmington would be better than from Newtown. Any advice/suggestions?

Most of the threads I've come across are comparing Glastonbury to Avon or other towns on that side. I'd be interested in hearing any comparisons between the Newtown area and Glastonbury. Our main factor is finding a good high school for our son--we are not likely to find something that meets what we currently have, but we hope that we could find a school that is accommodating, nonetheless. Any experience with gifted kids at Glastonbury high school would be welcome; our son would start taking AP classes next year as a freshman if we were to stay at our current location--we would like to find a school that is willing to honor his placements, if possible.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I've been looking through old threads and haven't quite found the answers I am looking for, so pardon if they have been addressed in a previous note.
I know several people who commute from Glastonbury to Farmington. The distance isn't bad but you have to go through downtown Hartford both ways which is a rush hour bottleneck. Newtown is farther plus you still run into a bottleneck (Waterbury).

Just curious as to why you wouldn't consider closer towns such as Avon or Farmington itself?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,705,044 times
If you're looking for a public school with excellent AP offerings for high school students, you'd do very well in Farmington, Avon, West Hartford, Simsbury, Glastonbury. You could speak with any of these high schools about whether an exception can be made to allow your child to take AP classes as a 9th grader. If you want an excellent high school for a high achieving kid, paired with an easy commute, I'd look closely at Hall High in West Hartford, which has a large cohort of high achieving kids who take tons of high-quality AP courses, many of which give simultaneous UCONN credit. Conard in West Hartford will have similar offerings, but Hall would probably be a better fit for your child. There is a bottleneck from Farmington west of the UCHC on route 4. From east of the CT river you have commuting through Hartford rush hour traffic, and from Avon to the health center you still have to go through either West Hartford or that Rt 4 bottleneck. You definitely don't need to commute from Newtown, if what you want is a good high school for a high-achieving student.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,060,207 times
Quote:
We visited earlier in the year and love the Newtown area, however, I'm looking at jobs at UCHC and it looks like the commute there from Newtown would be awful (>1hr).
Yes; the Waterbury bottleneck on 84 will get old really fast.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,453,587 times
Quote:
I'm looking at jobs at UCHC and it looks like the commute there from Newtown would be awful (>1hr). Am I wrong in thinking this?? We started to look at other options online and fell into Glastonbury.
Don't do it. I commuted from Bristol to Brookfield (which is a shorter commute than you'll have) for 5 months and just couldn't do it. My GF does the drive from Glastonbury to Farmington and says it's not bad, but Hartford traffic both ways is not fun. Look at Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and West Hartford all of which are excellent towns and have access to Farmington.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM

265 posts, read 485,187 times
Thanks for the advice! I was worried the commute would be too onerous, and it seems I was right. We like what we've seen online for Glastonbury, and we have friends over near there, so that would be a plus. I'll take a look at Avon and Simsbury and W. Hartford in the upcoming week. We are not looking for typical suburbia, if we can avoid it, so W. Hartford might already be ruled out based on that. Farmington might work if we can find available housing--it looks like the market is a bit tight there in our price range.

It seems like any of those schools are fairly comparable to the ones we were looking at in Fairfield County, so I'm sure we can find something that will work for our son.

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 PM

95 posts, read 290,640 times
I am pretty sure Glastonbury home prices will be higher than Farmington or West Hartford. Simsbury and Avon would be more comparable with Glastonbury. All of these towns are suburbs and have great schools.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,709 times
Glastonbury is one of the larger towns in CT at 51 sq.mi. and a population of around 35,000. It has lots of open space including the Meshomasic state forest, the second oldest state forest in the country, with miles of dirt roads which are great for mountain biking and hiking. Glastonbury has a vibrant and developing town center with a new Riverfront development currently underway with boathouse and outdoor skating rink.

The high school it top notch with plenty of AP class offerings. There are two possible ways to commute to UCHC depending on the time of your commute. The most direct route from Blast. is through Hartford, but if you r commute is during peak rush hours, I would recommend taking 91 south to Rt. 9 north which will deposit you right at UCHC thereby avoiding Hartford traffic altogether.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,067,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlastonburyREHelp View Post
Glastonbury is one of the larger towns in CT at 51 sq.mi. and a population of around 35,000. It has lots of open space including the Meshomasic state forest, the second oldest state forest in the country, with miles of dirt roads which are great for mountain biking and hiking. Glastonbury has a vibrant and developing town center with a new Riverfront development currently underway with boathouse and outdoor skating rink.

The high school it top notch with plenty of AP class offerings. There are two possible ways to commute to UCHC depending on the time of your commute. The most direct route from Blast. is through Hartford, but if you r commute is during peak rush hours, I would recommend taking 91 south to Rt. 9 north which will deposit you right at UCHC thereby avoiding Hartford traffic altogether.
I thought realtors weren't allowed to talk about schools. Hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut