Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I don't want to jeopardize my career too much, so I don't want to leave after 1 year. It's not that urgent. At least this job is excellent. I would be shocked if my next job is better than this one.

But yeah, FFC definitely has an identity crisis. It wants to be NYC, but also wants to be CT.

Mostly Stamford area wannabe to NY so bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Wow! The Hartford area has 11 Ocean State Job Lot stores!!

I just gave my two week notice and informed my family we are moving to Hartford! It sounds like a great opportunity to be near all of those stores! If I'm lucky maybe one of those dump filled reject stores will consider hiring me.
This is why I miss New England, snarky sarcasm and humor at it's best. Love it!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Well, once again, you've made me feel very positive about living in Hartford county!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM

46 posts, read 68,247 times
LOL! @ Stylo...

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,460 times
Are you seriously using a multitude of big box chain stores and malls as POSITIVE aspects of a community? You're right -- Fairfield County is definitely not the right place for you.

I'm sure fine dining establishments like Applebees & Ruby Tuesday's will be glad to have you back in the Hartford area.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 PM

109 posts, read 161,075 times
Has to be the first time I've ever seen Ocean State Job Lot listed as a desirable feature in a search for housing

75% to go folks..........

Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Has to be the first time I've ever seen Ocean State Job Lot listed as a desirable feature in a search for housing

I love OSJL. They have useful things for excellent prices. When I lived with parents in Granby, I used to go up to the one in Southwick all the time. It feels like you're spending nothing.

I'm not a fan of big chain restaurants at all. But my point is that Hartford area is just a lot more convenient and has a more even distribution of shopping centers spread out around the county.

So, yes, I can't wait to move back up there for Ocean State Job Lot.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
There are more MILFs in FFC.
Lol that's definitely true

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post

Nep--maybe you should move to RI, the home of OSJL!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM

141 posts, read 306,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I moved here 6 months ago and plan to stay for a total of 2 years at my job (unless I change my mind). I'm committing to a minimum of two years, in order to maintain reasonable stability on my resume. That means I'm now officially 25% done living in FFC, thank god. I still can't wait to leave. Not that it's urgent or ruining my life, but it has really helped put things into perspective for me and what I want in life.

I now have $35,000 saved toward a home down payment, and I plan to make the purchase somewhere other than here....probably the Hartford/Springfield area....idk. By the time I get out of here, I should have at least $50,000+ toward a home down payment. That way, if I go back to the Hartford area, I can get a nice house and make a 20% down payment on a $250K home and not pay PMI, when I'm 31 years of age.

I'm looking forward to living in an area that has nothing to do with NYC, and has far less traffic and better quality housing. Heck, the Hartford area had much better shopping choices than FFC! Consider this:

FFC has 4 Target stores; Hartford county has 7
FFC has zero Ocean State Job Lot stores; Hartford county has 11 stores
FFC has 3 malls; Hartford county has 5
FFC has 3 Best Buys' Hartford county has 5

Also, the Hartford area has a much, much better highway infrastructure in a more radial design. FFC has two coastal highways. That's it. Oh, and 84 and few extremely minor routes.

Hartford also has better radio stations; FFC relies too much on NYC radio stations, which is sad.

Hartford county also feels far more New Englandy than lower FFC.

I-95 is a total disaster with traffic. Worse than Obamacare even.

Being gay and single isn't any better in FFC than it was in Hartford county.

Well your more "common" tastes certainly explain your distaste for all things Fairfield County and NYC.

Psst....just move to Arkansas. I really think you would love it. You will save so much money, miles and miles of nothingness and big box stores galore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut