Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM

74 posts, read 87,481 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the Shop Rite in Manchester? What is that one like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Manchester ShopRite is pretty dumpy, however they are in the middle of remodeling (or were a couple of weeks ago) so it may be better by the time they are done.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guatmom2 View Post
Has anyone been to the Shop Rite in Manchester? What is that one like?
It is a fairly nice store. I do not go there often but when I have been there it seems good. I do however worry about that store. A Super Walmart has been approved right across the street so I wonder if this Shoprite will be able to survive. Too bad since it is a locally owned store. The same family owns the East hartford Shoprite on the Glastonbury line. It looks like that store does well and it is unlikely there will ever be anymore competition in that area than exists today. Still you never know. Jay

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM

61 posts, read 244,576 times
I thought they were already modernizing the Manchester Walmart. Are they opening another Super Walmart in Manchester.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B K R View Post
I thought they were already modernizing the Manchester Walmart. Are they opening another Super Walmart in Manchester.
Yes, on Spencer Street across from Shoprite where there use to be a Kmart. The town approved it but I am not sure where the project stands at the moment. Jay

Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
Shoprite in Stratford has a crazy parking lot, Stratford Stop and Shop is just disgusting.

We tend to end up at Big Y or Shelton ShopRite along with BJ's and Target. Big Y is great if you have a silver savings card and hit the sale items, but can be pretty pricey otherwise. Both Big Y and ShopRite have decent produce.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Shoprite in Stratford has a crazy parking lot, Stratford Stop and Shop is just disgusting.

We tend to end up at Big Y or Shelton ShopRite along with BJ's and Target. Big Y is great if you have a silver savings card and hit the sale items, but can be pretty pricey otherwise. Both Big Y and ShopRite have decent produce.
That Target(Hawley Ln. Trumbull) has really hit the skids. I went in last week and thought i was in Walmart instead. Shockingly enough, the prices on their food items were pretty damn close to Big Y's.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
Yeah, Hawley Ln has gone downhill, sadly. We go there for very specific items (usually cereal and some snack items like Target's fruit leathers) that I know are cheaper. I usually save 5% with my Red debit card and get another 5-20% off certain items with Cartwheel.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I thought I answered this post but I guess I never saved it. We love Shop Rite in Wallingford. The deals are great and the produce is really fresh. Big Y in North Haven is closer and we use it for the quick stop but they don't always have the really good sales as much as they advertise that they do.

One thing I will say is that you should definitely get the Silver Savings Card from Big Y. It's $20 for the year and you automatically get any and all silver coin savings on whatever you buy. You can still play the game too but win gold since you get silver all the time. We made our money back in savings in two shops there.
I live 5 blocks from the BigY in North Haven, so I save on gasoline by walking or riding my bike when the weather's good. I also ONLY take advantage of the B1G3 sales in quantities of 3, so I'm not stockpiling a lot of stuff that I might end up throwing away, or that would take up too much space and become clutter. I know by the time I go through 3 big bottles of laundry detergent, it'll be just around the right time for the next B1G3 sale anyway. I also ONLY buy things that I use, when I take advantage of those B1G3 sales. I don't buy things just because they're on sale. My mom does that, and I'm SUCH a rebel

I go to Stop & Shop only because BigY doesn't offer the particular sub rolls that my husband likes, and because BigY doesn't sell individual celery stalks. I get the rotisserie chicken salad at BigY, but hubby likes his celery in it, and BigY chicken salad isn't made with celery. I'm not about to buy a whole bunch of celery just so I can use one stalk, once a week, and by the third week the rest of the celery is mushy and has to get thrown away.

As for ShopRite, the closest one to me is in Hamden I think. Maybe Wallingford, it's a toss-up and takes the same amount of time regardless because of traffic on Rte5 AND on Dixwell Ave. on grocery shopping day (Sunday late morning). I generally only go to the Hamden one when I'm in the mood for Moe's, in the same plaza. I'll pick up a few pieces of fruit and a tub of salad greens if it's on sale, maybe a couple bottles of Pepsi if that's on sale. I don't like the layout of the Hamden ShopRite at all.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
The Shoprite in Shelton is mediocre, it hasn't changed much since they took it over from Shaw's and its fresh fish section (which is important to my wife) seems smaller than other Shoprites, with a minimal selection.
I remember being surprised by the remodel of that store. I was expecting to step into something much nicer looking. I'm almost tempted to say that it looked more appealing when Shaw's occupied it. It is clean and well lit, but it's just.......blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
We find the Derby Shoprite to be quite good and it is closer to us than the one in Stratford, which I would rather not visit late in the evening... it has some seriously strange customers lurking in the aisles.
I was also surprised the first time i stepped into the Derby store. It isn't beautiful by any stretch, but it's much better than i had expected it to be, given what it looked like when Bradlee's occupied the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut