Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM

51 posts, read 97,689 times

Advertisements

Which has a better selection?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:56 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Varies store to store. I think Shop Rites are franchises while Big Y is corporate owned? Every Shop Rite I've been to has its own feel while Big Y's seem to be very consistent.

Selection wise they're usually similar, most Shop Rites have expanded their organic/natural sections in the past 10 years. Shop Rite is generally cheaper.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Varies store to store. I think Shop Rites are franchises while Big Y is corporate owned? Every Shop Rite I've been to has its own feel while Big Y's seem to be very consistent.

Selection wise they're usually similar, most Shop Rites have expanded their organic/natural sections in the past 10 years. Shop Rite is generally cheaper.
Yes, Shoprite's are independently owned, like IGA markets.

There's very little difference in the selection/variety between the big 3(S&S/SR/BY). The differences between the 3 largely pertain to price/quality/cleanliness.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Big Y is much better with fresh food, but costs more and probably has less options. Shop Rite / Stop & Shop are better priced and have many different brands, but the fresh stuff isn't nearly as good. If you have both options pretty close to you then go to both for shopping.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I thought I answered this post but I guess I never saved it. We love Shop Rite in Wallingford. The deals are great and the produce is really fresh. Big Y in North Haven is closer and we use it for the quick stop but they don't always have the really good sales as much as they advertise that they do.

One thing I will say is that you should definitely get the Silver Savings Card from Big Y. It's $20 for the year and you automatically get any and all silver coin savings on whatever you buy. You can still play the game too but win gold since you get silver all the time. We made our money back in savings in two shops there.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Thumbs up Love the Silver Savings card

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I thought I answered this post but I guess I never saved it. We love Shop Rite in Wallingford. The deals are great and the produce is really fresh. Big Y in North Haven is closer and we use it for the quick stop but they don't always have the really good sales as much as they advertise that they do.

One thing I will say is that you should definitely get the Silver Savings Card from Big Y. It's $20 for the year and you automatically get any and all silver coin savings on whatever you buy. You can still play the game too but win gold since you get silver all the time. We made our money back in savings in two shops there.

I won my Silver Savings Card on the game last year and just about when I would have had to pay $20 to renew it they made it free for senior citizens. I win a gold coin now and then and donated my accumulated silver coins to a food bank which uses them. Their sales are good. As for Shop-Rite, we just got one in East Haven a couple of months ago and I occasionally go there, too, if I am up in that part of town.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Big Y is much better with fresh food, but costs more and probably has less options. Shop Rite / Stop & Shop are better priced and have many different brands, but the fresh stuff isn't nearly as good. If you have both options pretty close to you then go to both for shopping.
I would preface that with, depending upon where you are. I *tried* to get myself reacclimated with Stop&Shop but i couldn't do it. I tried Trumbull/Shelton/Stratford/Milford(Bpt. Ave. location), and i was turned off by each of those stores. Dirty, smelly, and dark were how i would generally describe them, particularly the Stratford location, but still, the other 3 sucked as well.

Where are these great clean/well-lit/pleasant smelling Stop&Shops that you folks are shopping at? I'm not being facetious. Seriously, where the hell are they located?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I hate Stop & Shop. I don't think I've set foot in one in 2 years now. I do most of my shopping at Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. Call me a snob but I hate the atmosphere at Stop & Shop. I do like the ShopRite in Milford though, and have been doing more shopping there lately. I've been meaning to try the Adams IGA in Woodmont too.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
I think it depends on store location.

For us, the Big Y in Trumbull/Stratford is quite nice, but they are certainly pricier. Meanwhile, the Shoprite in Stratford is OK - a little dumpy and there is a large Walmart-esqe crowd since the two stores are next to each other.

On the other hand, the Shoprite in nearby Shelton is far nicer in both aesthetics and customer base.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 PM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Where are these great clean/well-lit/pleasant smelling Stop&Shops that you folks are shopping at? I'm not being facetious. Seriously, where the hell are they located?
The two that I know of are in Watertown on rt 63 behind the subaru/volvo dealership and in Unionville on Rt 4. Both are newer and very nice.

I usuallty shop at the one in New Britain because its close to where I live. The place is a dump and the customers are rude, dirty, and obnoxious. They also never have 40's in stock.

My wife and I still prefer Stop&Shop. Even in New Britain the store has a very good selection of Organic and natural foods. We also accumulate lots of gas points which helps with our budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut