Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
That's a lot of crimes for a city that's only 17SQ Miles.
Not really. Lets face it most crime occurs in the core urban areas and that is what Hartford primarily is. Add in the adjacent towns and you will see the rates balance out. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Huh? We not not talking about the Metro-Hartford Area crime stats. We are talking specifically crimes in the City of Hartford, which is scary due to the fact that is only 17 SQ miles, which means that these large number of criminals are packed in a very tight area.
And you do not think that a large number of criminals are "packed" into a small area of any other city? It all has to do with how the lines are drawn. Had Hartford annexed adjacent towns the statistics would be much lower. Jay

Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

684 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And you do not think that a large number of criminals are "packed" into a small area of any other city? It all has to do with how the lines are drawn. Had Hartford annexed adjacent towns the statistics would be much lower. Jay
Off course larger cities have criminals packed into a portion of their city and if hartford had annexed say Windsor, the crime rate per person would be lower and land mass would be larger, that's pretty obvious. So, I don't know what your point is.

The 17 SQ mile fact is giving people an idea of how mostly the city is ghetto and crime ridden.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Off course larger cities have criminals packed into a portion of their city and if hartford had annexed say Windsor, the crime rate per person would be lower and land mass would be larger, that's pretty obvious. So, I don't know what your point is.

The 17 SQ mile fact is giving people an idea of how mostly the city is ghetto and crime ridden.
Ghetto and crime ridden??? The area the OP has mentioned is a problem area but there are many neighborhoods in Hartford that are fine including one of the wealthiest census tracts in the country. This wide range of neighborhoods is common in most cities. That is what a city is normally. Jay

Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,108,670 times
Just wondering... How many teachers have been victims of these "common" car jackings, stray bullets, or other "dangerous" elements in this neighborhood? It's certainly not a "nice" neighborhood, but I'm sure dozens of teachers go to work there every day without incident.

Talk to teachers who already work at the school... I'm sure you'll find that while the neighborhood is crummy, there is little to be risked in working there.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Ghetto and crime ridden??? The area the OP has mentioned is a problem area but there are many neighborhoods in Hartford that are fine including one of the wealthiest census tracts in the country. This wide range of neighborhoods is common in most cities. That is what a city is normally. Jay
How many neighorhoods are in Hartford? 15+?
The only "fine" area is Downtown and maybe the West End. I would hardly call that many.
I would say Hartford is close to 90% ghetto. I don't think that's normal for most cities.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Just wondering... How many teachers have been victims of these "common" car jackings, stray bullets, or other "dangerous" elements in this neighborhood? It's certainly not a "nice" neighborhood, but I'm sure dozens of teachers go to work there every day without incident.

Talk to teachers who already work at the school... I'm sure you'll find that while the neighborhood is crummy, there is little to be risked in working there.
The bottomline is this area is filled with criminals that will strike anytime or when the opportunity exist. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean sh&t.

Have you ever driven through the upper albany area, and look around?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM

14,020 posts, read 13,838,474 times
Hartford southend is not that bad close to wethersfield border

Old 11-29-2013, 04:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,108,670 times
Quote:
The bottomline is this area is filled with criminals that will strike anytime or when the opportunity exist. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean sh&t.
No... Everyone there is not a criminal. There are many poor, hardworking people in the area as well. There are criminals, but, I don't think there chomping at the bit to shoot at a elementary school teacher in her Hyundai... The danger to someone just working in the neighborhood is overstated.

Quote:
Have you ever driven through the upper albany area, and look around?
I have been to the neighborhood. Like I said, it's crummy. What would "looking around" tell you? Do you see a criminal record pinned to the people walking around? What kind of assumptions are you making and why?

I see poverty. I've never seen a crime occur there-- although I know that crime is a problem.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No... Everyone there is not a criminal. There are many poor, hardworking people in the area as well. There are criminals, but, I don't think there chomping at the bit to shoot at a elementary school teacher in her Hyundai... The danger to someone just working in the neighborhood is overstated.

I have been to the neighborhood. Like I said, it's crummy. What would "looking around" tell you? Do you see a criminal record pinned to the people walking around? What kind of assumptions are you making and why?

I see poverty. I've never seen a crime occur there-- although I know that crime is a problem.
Where did I say everyone is a criminal there? However your perception is, I know some people view things differently based on their agenda or political views, I do not care for.

I'm just warning people that these areas has a lot of criminals and ready to strike when the opportunity arises, if you can't understand that, maybe you need to research the topic of "crimes of opportunity"

I have worked in hartford for many years, travel the streets, worked with people who has lived there, so I'm not making any assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut