Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Greenwich was scheduled to have class but closed, same with new Canaan.

here's the list that closed for today.

Connecticut Weather Inc - local weather, tri-state weather, national weather

Again, they closed for good reason. If you didn't go take a drive at 7-9am then you really don't know what the conditions were. I assure you they were very poor. Putting highschool kids, mom and dads, teachers AND bus drivers on the road who have no idea how to drive on ice is why they closed and it was the right call.
I also think that being a day back from a break (in some cases a long break of about a week), it's probably a little harder to get the buses, etc. running if it's snowing like crazy out. I never said that it was a bad call, just giving basic info and insight.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I also think that being a day back from a break (in some cases a long break of about a week), it's probably a little harder to get the buses, etc. running if it's snowing like crazy out. I never said that it was a bad call, just giving basic info and insight.
Yup - def. I know you didn't say that..

My comments are more about how everytime there's always someone on the news saying "bad call on the schools part" when they close. However that person was never on the roads during the time in question and that person also has no idea how many different people are effected by the call.

There ARE def. days that sometimes it doesn't seem to make sense, however, just because I95 is plowed is no real indication of how the backroads that 1000's of kids and their parents travel are plowed or passable.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,214 times
I can't speak for lower FFC, but northern FFC, around Bethel/Danbury, we maybe got 2 inches of wet snow. I saw that Bethel public closed and was wondering why after taking a walk downtown (Bethel). The snow stopped by 11 ish and the sun came out at around 3. Too bad for the kids wanting to graduate on time this year, I guess. As I stated before, this one underperformed when they were calling 3-6 last night (which would have warranted a closure). Now if they were forecasting 1-3 for the morning, the schools that were looking to open would have just done a 2 hour delay. By late-mid Feb, that is really no big deal. Or maybe the superintendent just wanted a longer weekend and threw in the towel Again, speaking for N FFC

Last edited by Tubeworm; 02-18-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 03:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
BTW.. Updated..

The 2.7" of snow today now puts them 2nd snowiest February on record. Need just 1/2" to be snowiest

And FYI ... Normal snowfall month to date is 4.9". 4.9 is the normal! I actually forgot it doesn't snow around here! LOL!!!

Parts of Wallingford got 5.8 inches, which is close to what we got.

Do they track by city or only airports? Would be interested to know if Wallingford broke their record for snowiest given what we got today. Meriden's little airport is probably the closest but I dunno if it was even close compared to Bridgeport's or Bradley's numbers.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
Very light powder here in Middletown. I'd shovel now instead of letting it compact, if you can.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Do they track by city or only airports? Would be interested to know if Wallingford broke their record for snowiest given what we got today. .
I had replied about this the other day but too lazy to find it. It's just the 2 main climo sites that confirmed good records are kept for. BDL, BDR. There's no well kept records for individual towns. That would be Euphoria and we could see the true average across the state. But there is a way to check "some" stats from these co-op sites which aren't automatic weather stations. I'm too lazy to find the post with the link.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:50 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
With Sunday snow it will reach it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Check GFS Model ! 114-130 hours

Yup.. Euro has it too. Nothing big as of right now. 2-4"?

Lets talk warmth... Friday will be the warmest day of this week. Enjoy next few days because the hammer drops again. (sorry!)

Friday max temps

Monday night/Tuesday morning in the teens/20s along the coast.

Close your eyes! Sunday morning lows March 2nd. Still far out but the general idea is very cold period comes back after this week.

These are based off the latest GFS18z results
Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-gfs30.jpg   Weather in Connecticut-gfs31.jpg   Weather in Connecticut-gfs32.jpg  

Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,214 times
NWS New York

Hazardous Weather Outlook:
Quote:
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
458 PM EST TUE FEB 18 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN
CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

SIGNIFICANT MELTING IS EXPECTED DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS
WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY...WITH TEMPERATURES ABOVE FREEZING AND
WITH ADDITIONAL RAINFALL EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY AND AGAIN THURSDAY
NIGHT INTO FRIDAY.

INITIALLY...MELTING SNOW AND ICE WILL FALL FROM BRIDGES AND
ROOFS...CREATING A TRAVELING HAZARD CLOSE TO THESE STRUCTURES.

AS THE WARMING PERSISTS...THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAM FLOODING WILL
INCREASE ADJACENT TO OBSTRUCTIONS...BENDS...AND NARROWINGS OF
AREA RIVERS AND STREAMS...THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.

ADDITIONALLY...THE EXPECTED BOUTS OF RAINFALL MIGHT CAUSE MORE
SNOW LADEN FLAT ROOF STRUCTURES TO COLLAPSE.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Hope we get a few more big snow storms before the season ends

Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Hope we get a few more big snow storms before the season ends
I don't.

And that's all i'm going to say.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut