Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Check your chances of dying in a natural disaster vs automobile accident or health crisis.

We live in a fear mongering media. You can see it in CT. You'd think the end of the world came with an alien invasion when we got a cat 1 hurricane(sandy). Yes property damage especially to waterfront homes ect., but life goes on.

The least of my concerns when choosing a place to live in California or hawaii would be natural disaster. I would just use common sense like not living near the oceanfront so my home doesn't get destroyed ect. Heat waves kill way more people every year. To put it in perspective, your chances of dying in a tsunami is 1 in 500,000. Odds of dying from asteroid impact is 1 in 200,000. Heart disease kills 1 in 5.

1 in 100 die in a car accident.
Much less likely to die in a car accident here as well What else you got?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Water rights are going to be a huge deal in the coming decades out west. The drought is no joke and people who think they will just keep watering lawns and filling pools per usual are deluded. I would take my chances on natural disasters but I am fairly certain severe water restrictions will soon become a way of life in many arid western states. I'll take a day or two of rain per week over that, thanks.
I agree. Look what's happened to lake mead. People need to stop watering lawns in arid climates and just let the vegetation become natural to the local environment. Green grass is not normal in phoenix! Or other arid Mediterranean southern California climates. If you want green grass, move into pacific northwest.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
2pm temp update. NWS Color Table captures todays feeling out there.

30° Danbury clear skies
35° Bridgeport and Windsor Locks
32°F with full sun in Huntsville Alabama.
17°F scattered clouds in Indianapolis.

Winds are kicking 30mph from NW feels like teens here.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 PM

We always talk about NWS raising totals during the storm from like 4 inches to 8 inches.... What if you saw NWS Upton with this message?

BASED ON REPORTS OF SOME AREAS FROM SOUTH BUFFALO TO LANCASTER NOW APPROACHING 50 INCHES AND THE FACT THAT THE BAND WILL NOT MOVE MUCH THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON WE HAVE INCREASED STORM TOTALS TO AROUND 70 INCHES IN THE HARDEST HIT AREAS.

Cars and Homes getting buried in areas in NY near the Lakes. 3-6 FEET with drifts above 12 feet.. and wait .... there's more..

...ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW LOOKING MORE LIKELY LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...CONFIDENCE IN ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT LAKE EVENT FOR FAVORED WEST SOUTHWEST FLOW AREAS IS GROWING

For us... after Friday we start getting back to seasonable levels. ... from Upton... Winds less tomorrow but same cold air.

AS THE VORTEX OVER SOUTHERN CANADA LIFTS TO THE NE. THE FLOW WILL REMAIN OUT OF THE N POLE REGION WITH JANUARY LIKE TEMPS CONTINUING THROUGH WEDNESDAY. DRY WEATHER WILL PREVAIL...AND WINDS WILL START TO DIMINISH TONIGHT BUT LOWS WILL DROP INTO THE TEENS INLAND AND IN THE PINE BARRENS OF LONG ISLAND AND GENERALLY LOWER 20S AT THE COAST. RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE TIED OR BROKEN OVERNIGHT. WIND CHILLS DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS INLAND AND 10 TO 15 ABOVE AT THE COAST.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,973 times
I think BDR's record low is going to be broken tonight. Forecast low of 20. I am already down to 27 here along the shoreline.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/... HIGH PRESSURE CONTINUES TO BUILD IN. WINDS WILL DIMINISH...BUT THE COLD AIR WILL REMAIN. WITH LOWS IN THE TEENS AND 20S...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE TIED OR BROKEN OVERNIGHT. SEE THE CLIMATE SECTION BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS. WIND CHILLS DROP TO AROUND 10 FOR THE CITY AND COASTAL SECTIONS...AND INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS INLAND.

SOME RECORDS MAY BE TIED OR SET WITH THE COLD AIR FORECAST. RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE FOLLOWING ARE THE CURRENT RECORD LOWS FOR WEDNESDAY.

NYC....18/1936
JFK....27/2008
LGA....28/2008
EWR....19/1936
BDR....24/1986
ISP....23/1997

THE FOLLOWING ARE RECORD LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES FOR WEDNESDAY...

NYC....34/1882
JFK....37/2008
LGA....35/1951
EWR....35/1951
BDR....35/2008
ISP....35/2008

Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
We always talk about NWS raising totals during the storm from like 4 inches to 8 inches.... What if you saw NWS Upton with this message?

BASED ON REPORTS OF SOME AREAS FROM SOUTH BUFFALO TO LANCASTER NOW APPROACHING 50 INCHES AND THE FACT THAT THE BAND WILL NOT MOVE MUCH THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON WE HAVE INCREASED STORM TOTALS TO AROUND 70 INCHES IN THE HARDEST HIT AREAS.

Cars and Homes getting buried in areas in NY near the Lakes. 3-6 FEET with drifts above 12 feet.. and wait .... there's more..

...ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW LOOKING MORE LIKELY LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...CONFIDENCE IN ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT LAKE EVENT FOR FAVORED WEST SOUTHWEST FLOW AREAS IS GROWING
News you can use, if you are planning to consider a job interview in Buffalo. There will be 70 inches of dry, fluffy snow by tomorrow. Some inspiring pix at weather sites.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,498 times
Quote:

For us... after Friday we start getting back to seasonable levels. ... from Upton... Winds less tomorrow but same cold air.

AS THE VORTEX OVER SOUTHERN CANADA LIFTS TO THE NE. THE FLOW WILL REMAIN OUT OF THE N POLE REGION WITH JANUARY LIKE TEMPS CONTINUING THROUGH WEDNESDAY. DRY WEATHER WILL PREVAIL...AND WINDS WILL START TO DIMINISH TONIGHT BUT LOWS WILL DROP INTO THE TEENS INLAND AND IN THE PINE BARRENS OF LONG ISLAND AND GENERALLY LOWER 20S AT THE COAST. RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE TIED OR BROKEN OVERNIGHT. WIND CHILLS DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS INLAND AND 10 TO 15 ABOVE AT THE COAST.
Paging Nep321, paging Nep321....

ARE YOU READING THIS??

Are you SURE you want to live out here now? You've been warned!

They would have to pay me AT LEAST $500,000 a year to live out there!!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Incredible! I've been watching the weather channel coverage. So nice to see that weather coverage instead of the stupid non weather programming the air.

That would be so awesome if ct could at least experience that amount of snow once! That's DOUBLE that blockbuster storm we had a few years ago that dropped around 36 inches in hamden. This is getting me pumped for upcoming snow storms in ct!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

ARE YOU READING THIS??

haha
I don't understand how anyone other than a pure snow lover could want to live in the lake effect belt of upstate new york.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

ARE YOU READING THIS??

National Guard is called. It's a dangerous situation now with people trapped and homes getting buried.. 7-8 feet now predicted. Pictures are out of this world & Ice Age looking. Its crazy

Last edited by Cambium; 11-18-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut