Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times

Advertisements

Some really weird short distance temperature differences I'm at a loss to explain:

Within NYC Central Park is 67 and Newark already 70, but LGA is "only" 56, JFK "only" 54 (OK maybe the ocean on that one), Danbury and Poughkeepsiee both 64 but White Plains "only" 58 and Bridgeport "only" 52 and New Haven "only" 53(the water again? Though LGA and White Plains usually closer to the "warmer" stations in the daytime)

(BTW, Hartford is 58 and New London 53, but they're a bit further away from all those other short distance differences, but to be fair I'll mention them)

Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 AM

679 posts, read 1,189,437 times
^^^ I'm looking at the same thing. I'd guess it's the geography that the high pressure is moving the warm air over. The water now, I guess, has a "cooling" affect because the air is so warm. WunderMaps paints a nice picture of the temps. Manhattan separates temps by 10-15F to the West vs the East. You can also see the wind direction of the very warm air mass over Northeastern NJ going "up" the Hudson River into the Hudson Valley area. Note: this is only my educated guess.

Southwestern CT is in the upper right of the pic...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:40 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Some really weird short distance temperature differences I'm at a loss to explain:

Within NYC Central Park is 67 and Newark already 70, but LGA is "only" 56, JFK "only" 54 (OK maybe the ocean on that one), Danbury and Poughkeepsiee both 64 but White Plains "only" 58 and Bridgeport "only" 52 and New Haven "only" 53(the water again? Though LGA and White Plains usually closer to the "warmer" stations in the daytime)

(BTW, Hartford is 58 and New London 53, but they're a bit further away from all those other short distance differences, but to be fair I'll mention them)
Yeah, I'm seeing some really wide ranges too. Heading to work now so haven't looked into it..

I'm going to assume some areas are getting the "push" down from the warm atmosphere above. So depending where that wind pushes to the surface will be the key to who's warming up. Fog, Clouds, drizzle, wind speed also playing a roll and water temps too.

Front is not far away. Albany at Freezing while NYC on the verge of 70.

Danbury winds started gusting and the warm up began
Bridgeport haven't gusted as much and plus there was rain which kept the air cooler.

IEM | ASOS | Current Conditions

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-map109.jpg   Weather in Connecticut-obs15.jpg  

Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I'm seeing some really wide ranges too. Heading to work now so haven't looked into it..

I'm going to assume some areas are getting the "push" down from the warm atmosphere above. So depending where that wind pushes to the surface will be the key to who's warming up. Fog, Clouds, drizzle, wind speed also playing a roll and water temps too.

Front is not far away. Albany at Freezing while NYC on the verge of 70.

Danbury winds started gusting and the warm up began
Bridgeport haven't gusted as much and plus there was rain which kept the air cooler.

IEM | ASOS | Current Conditions
Wow Albany has an even bigger contrast thanks to the front, I see western Massachusetts (i.e. Pittsfield) in the low 60 and if I remember from my Albany days way back when that's only like 40 miles or so.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

BDL past their record high for the day. Will update when all said and done.

2:20pm temps and radar. Fascinating stuff going on. All snow cover gone here.

Also note... not only a record 850mb temp for the day but it beat the highest for the entire month over Long Island. That means temps at 4000' are the warmest they ever been for December since records began

NWS Rapid City, SD - Local Climate Information > Precipitable Water Plots

Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,973 times
My high was 54 today. Tweed reported a high of 55 today. Southwest wind off the sound kept most of the shoreline temps down. Still impressive for this time of year. All my snow is gone.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Look how ridiculous this chart looks now with the official temps this month so far.

Last time Danbury was 68°+ was Nov 1st & October 17th before that.

Last time BDL was 64°+ was Nov 18th & Nov 7th

If the records are right for DXR that 68° today is the 5th warmest it's ever been in any December since 1937

Old 12-22-2013, 03:17 PM

679 posts, read 1,189,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
My high was 54 today. Tweed reported a high of 55 today. Southwest wind off the sound kept most of the shoreline temps down. Still impressive for this time of year. All my snow is gone.
Most of Long Island stayed in the 50's too. It's weird to see coastal temps the coolest and inland the warmest-- this time of year it's usually the opposite. Thanks for the update.

Boston vs Providence had a sharp gradient too, if anyone saw! (Boston 30s, Providence 60s)

Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
Most of Long Island stayed in the 50's too. It's weird to see coastal temps the coolest and inland the warmest-- this time of year it's usually the opposite. Thanks for the update.

Boston vs Providence had a sharp gradient too, if anyone saw! (Boston 30s, Providence 60s)
Boston vs. Providence might be the location of the cold front rather than coast vs inland. Albany, NY had 30s all day (except for one hour when it shot up to the low 50s and then went right back to the 30s) while places less than an hour drive's south were 30 degrees warmer (Poughkeepsie got to 68!).

Same deal happened in western NY State, Binghamton was in the 60s while Rochester and Buffalo were in the 30s and Toronto had a major ice storm!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post

Pretty interesting stuff all day. The benefits of being on either side of the front in December.

5:25pm temp update. Still in the 60s across most of CT. Yet I have my fire lit because the inside of the house had a chill to it.

Seems like higher elevations are warmer than lower elevations. Maybe not.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-temps63.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut