Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How did you know? Yeah, huge change overnight. They all say snow for Northern Gulf States and not for us. That "suppression" thing. This time might be believable with how strong this air is. We'll see

Usually it's a trend we see, not a drastic shift from big storm to nothing.
Agree..my gut says this comes back into the picture.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
Jeez....Boston Just. Cannot. Catch. A. Break.

They are going to be talking about this winter for many years to come around there.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post

They are going to be talking about this winter for many years to come around there.
And Maine.

Current Alert Map:

Hazards include, High Winds, Wind Chills, Blizzard, Lake Effects, Winter Weather & coastal flood

For CT we got High Wind, Wind Chill and Winter Storm Watch.

Looks like they made Wind Chill Advisory priority since there are winter storm watches in Tolland and Windham.

Intellicast - Weather Alerts

HAMweather: Current Advisories and Warnings

Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Trumbull only says like 3 to 5 inches for tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Trumbull only says like 3 to 5 inches for tomorrow.
Still Within the 4-6" range of NWS. 3 sounds too low though. That's more for like NYC south

Keep in mind... this will be small dendrites!( I always wanted to use that word, lol!) Snowflakes. They will be like crystals. So 1" of snow will make for slipper roads.

Snow starts after lunch tomorrow. Ends before lunch Sunday. I wonder if we'll see Ground Blizzards?!

Also... BANDING & CONVECTIVE... something we always talk about.. Where will it setup.

This event has the potential to produce 8"+ for "local" spots.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 AM

Damn, I was planning on going to SE Mass tomorrow

Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post

Even more so in that if you think about it, this is all occurring over HALF a winter......the first half of winter was near or slightly above normal and almost snowless.......in fact, if this all suddenly stops by the end of the month or very early March (don't laugh, that's actually what happened last year), then it's more like 1/3 of the winter......

Old 02-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Even more so in that if you think about it, this is all occurring over HALF a winter......the first half of winter was near or slightly above normal and almost snowless.......in fact, if this all suddenly stops by the end of the month or very early March (don't laugh, that's actually what happened last year), then it's more like 1/3 of the winter......

I think as late as January 23 I was still seeing green grass in my backyard and was wondering whether we would ANY major snowstorms. The next day on the 24 we had that snowfall that dropped 3 or 4 inches, 2 days later we had our first major storm and it's been snow covered since.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
I did not start my snowblower once until the last week of January.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM

August 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I don't know if there is any correlation by the way plants behave and what it portends for the winter season but may oak trees in central Indiana are already dropping their acorns, also, black walnut and hickory trees are already shedding their fruit onto the ground. What type of winter can the Indianapolis area expect? I am dubious as to this continuing discussion forum because if Indianapolis has another winter like last year, I AM GOING TO HAVE A COW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Actually many of the things you are witnessing are stated to be precursors to a harsh winter by the Old Farmers Almanac
20 Signs of a Hard Winter - Farmers' Almanac
September 2014

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ive-there.html

Quote:
Hmmm.

Anyone else seeing squirrels running around burying nuts & acorns? They're moving around a lot and not at a slow pace either.

I just took these pics today. Saw same squirrels bury 3 different nuts in 3 different spots. Been seeing them do this for about a week or so now.

November 2014

Quote:
Maybe the squirrels are onto something. Burying/eating nuts since September. Building nests frantically now.

January 2015

Quote:
My dog has been shedding like crazy last few weeks. Usually does this before really cold weather or in late fall. She started end of December, got heavy in mid January and still going!
My Retriever has not failed me in the past 4 yrs when I finally realized intense shedding meant a blast of Arctic air, consistent cold, or long Heat waves coming in a couple weeks (for summer).

The thick coat that was coming in was very strange to see at the end of January. Typical sheds are October & March. She did not shed much in October/November and we had a Top 10 warmest December.

Only in January she started shedding..and in clumps...and here we are with a blast of arctic air, with a Top 10 winter an a frigid February with long standing thick snowpack.

She has let up on the shedding now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut