Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times

Advertisements

Did greenwich to norwalk on the merrit. Wasn't as bad as it's been lately with ice, but I wouldn't attempt it in a 2wd car..

One accident, not sure how he managed it on a straight road..

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Did greenwich to norwalk on the merrit. Wasn't as bad as it's been lately with ice, but I wouldn't attempt it in a 2wd car..

Honestly, a 4wd vehicle would give you zero advantage in road conditions you just posted. 4wd doesn't stop you from stopping or sliding out of control. You'd need deeper snow before 4wd would start helping because 4wd helps you get going. A good pair of snow tires with 2wd and I get can get though 6 inches of unplowed snow, forget an inch on the road.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
But that's why it's called 4 wheel "drive" and not 4 wheel stop. Even with slightly coated roads getting over hills and around corners 4WD/AWD is advantagous. As far as snow tires and 2WD, the number of people that use such a combination are very small around here. In Canada however I believe some places require M+S tires during certain months. No such requirement exists here and many people, even those in 4WD just stick with their all seasons.

Myself included, I just use a good high performance all season General G Max on my car and don't see the need for a dedicated set of winter tires when we have the Jeep.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:28 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Been snowing pretty steadily here in Cranston, RI...probably 3" already. Tough to get a read on how conditions are in Hartford (supposed to drive back later today)?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Been snowing pretty steadily here in Cranston, RI...probably 3" already. Tough to get a read on how conditions are in Hartford (supposed to drive back later today)?
It is doing nothing in Hartford (city proper)...I see no flakes right now and I would say total accumulation so far is barely a dusting. Roads are just wet. However, I live about 15 miles south and east of here and there was 3" when I left my house. That snow line is somewhere just south of I-84.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
But that's why it's called 4 wheel "drive" and not 4 wheel stop. Even with slightly coated roads getting over hills and around corners 4WD/AWD is advantagous. As far as snow tires and 2WD, the number of people that use such a combination are very small around here. In Canada however I believe some places require M+S tires during certain months. No such requirement exists here and many people, even those in 4WD just stick with their all seasons.

Myself included, I just use a good high performance all season General G Max on my car and don't see the need for a dedicated set of winter tires when we have the Jeep.
The snow tires would help your jeep stop and not slide. Better traction/hold on the road.(still will slide on ice and it's important to still drive slowly) It would also help it out in deep snow that we don't get here(except for nemo) That being said, yes I agree a 2wd car without snow tires(all season is not a winter tire) is completely useless and could even get stuck in those pics you posted if it was hill.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post

From my experience a 2wd (preferably front wd) with ABS and Traction control is almost as good as a 4wd. But wothout them, they suck in this

Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
From my experience a 2wd (preferably front wd) with ABS and Traction control is almost as good as a 4wd. But wothout them, they suck in this
Abs works by pumping the brakes for you so that your back end doesn't slide out. Snow tires make the abs work way better and you'll stop quicker. More traction from the tires means the abs will be able to apply more brake without pumping therefore stopping you way quicker. They've done tests on this proving it.

Honestly, a 2wd vehicle with abs and traction control(controls the acceleration) without snow tires doesn't compare to an suv. But add snow tires to the 2wd and it can be better than many suv's without snow tires. If you have 2wd and have never used snow tires you'll never believe the difference. It's night and day.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Honestly, a 4wd vehicle would give you zero advantage in road conditions you just posted. 4wd doesn't stop you from stopping or sliding out of control. You'd need deeper snow before 4wd would start helping because 4wd helps you get going. A good pair of snow tires with 2wd and I get can get though 6 inches of unplowed snow, forget an inch on the road.
I didn't post the whole trip. Side roads had 2wd cars struggling to get up. I've got the best snows on I could buy..also sections of the merrit were worse than the pictures.

2wd also means you'll be sliding more going around corners in various situations (up hills, roads where the center is higher than the sides, etc) I simply wouldn't recommend going out in conditions like this with 2wd, even with snows.

Also the more recent 4wd cars will LOCK the tire that is spinning essentially transferring power to the wheels with grip. There is a LOT more going on with a modern 4wd vehicle with traction and stability control than a typical 2wd car/truck.

I would pick this 4wd sedan I have over the ford f150 in the garage.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I'm up to 4 inches now. And based on latest reports and trends Uptons raises the snow totals.. I guess 7Wishes was right. It was more north. Big raise for many

Current map.. Lots of moisture still left. Back edge in Kentucky. Moisture moving SW to Northeast. But what should happen is it will sag south so like Poughkeepsie and Danbury should start to clear in a couple hours.

These are the Wind chills! March Snowstorm.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut